U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-10-2013, 03:25 PM
 
260 posts, read 738,042 times
Reputation: 151

Advertisements

A family member will be moving to New Orleans for an engineering job with Shell. He would like to find a safe place to live (but with a lot happening) and live close to Shell (1 Shell square location). Uptown and The Carrollton neighborhood have been mentioned.

He is an avid tennis player (4.0-4.5 level) and he is looking for a good club. Any players out there who can give us some idea a tennis club that he would like?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-10-2013, 04:59 PM
 
933 posts, read 1,401,580 times
Reputation: 1036
Uptown, there is the New Orleans Lawn and Tennis Club. It is a historic club (I believed the second oldest in the country), however membership is difficult with sponsors from the club and the possibility of being blackballed a roadblock.

There is City Park and Audubon tennis courts. I don't know much about these courts, but it really isn't a "club" I don't think. Audubon is nice, though, and city park has been rebuilt, but just not a "club".

There is New Orleans and Metairie Country Club. New Orleans Country Club I have heard, no confirmation of this, is against Jews joining, so I am not sure if this is still an option for you. Metairie Country Club is not like that and you might want to join there.

There is also the Beach Club in either the depths of Metairie or Kenner. I have heard, though, that this place is not that nice, but don't know much.

Stern Tennis Center, while not a "club", is still a good facility, although not in the greatest of neighborhoods.

If you need any more help don't hesitate to PM me. Good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2013, 05:38 PM
 
Location: New Orleans
2,311 posts, read 4,746,190 times
Reputation: 1443
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
Uptown, there is the New Orleans Lawn and Tennis Club. It is a historic club (I believed the second oldest in the country), however membership is difficult with sponsors from the club and the possibility of being blackballed a roadblock.

There is City Park and Audubon tennis courts. I don't know much about these courts, but it really isn't a "club" I don't think. Audubon is nice, though, and city park has been rebuilt, but just not a "club".

There is New Orleans and Metairie Country Club. New Orleans Country Club I have heard, no confirmation of this, is against Jews joining, so I am not sure if this is still an option for you. Metairie Country Club is not like that and you might want to join there.

There is also the Beach Club in either the depths of Metairie or Kenner. I have heard, though, that this place is not that nice, but don't know much.

Stern Tennis Center, while not a "club", is still a good facility, although not in the greatest of neighborhoods.

If you need any more help don't hesitate to PM me. Good luck!
But, even if you can gain admission, aren't both metairie and NOCC somewhere north of 10k a year? Seems like a lot to hit around a piece of wound-up rubber...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2013, 05:47 PM
 
933 posts, read 1,401,580 times
Reputation: 1036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
But, even if you can gain admission, aren't both metairie and NOCC somewhere north of 10k a year? Seems like a lot to hit around a piece of wound-up rubber...
I'm really not sure. I'm sure the OP could ask. I was just giving a general list of clubs and places to play tennis in the area. If they are, then it really depends on their financial situation and whether they are willing to spend that much money on a club. If they don't want to spend a lot of money, I think City Park, Audubon, and Stern Tennis Center would be good places (not sure about the Beach Club).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2013, 10:30 PM
 
260 posts, read 738,042 times
Reputation: 151
Thanks all. Appreciate your input.
I can't believe that there are such prejudices still going on these days. We are not Jewish but wouldn't want to belong to a club that had that policy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2013, 10:57 PM
 
Location: New Orleans
2,311 posts, read 4,746,190 times
Reputation: 1443
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcalgal View Post
Thanks all. Appreciate your input.
I can't believe that there are such prejudices still going on these days. We are not Jewish but wouldn't want to belong to a club that had that policy.
I didn't want to even discuss the issue, but I'd be surprised if NOCC still overtly discriminates. You do have to be well-connected though. It's an "old-money" type of place.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2013, 02:38 AM
 
141 posts, read 215,425 times
Reputation: 313
Does your family member play USTA League tennis since they are a 4.0-4.5? I would check with the City Park Facility first. It is a public facility that has 26 courts-16 hard and 10 clay. They also are a site for USTA Leagues. For someone of 4.0-4.5 caliber, it may be a lot easier starting out by getting on a league team, talking to a pro there about meeting people of the same caliber, or to get hooked up with the league coordinator who may know of teams that may need players, etc. or who can introduce them to a few players of the same caliber. That would be the way to go before joining a club that may or may not suit a person's needs or ability level. That's what I would do as a very experienced and advanced player to get started.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2013, 07:44 AM
 
260 posts, read 738,042 times
Reputation: 151
springfieldcollegealum, thanks for the suggestion. I think it is the way to go!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2013, 03:47 PM
 
477 posts, read 989,478 times
Reputation: 394
Also, have them look into the courts at the Hilton Riverside(very near One Shell Square). There The Health Club is located and they have indoor tennis courts.
the HEALTH CLUB by Hilton

Not sure how much membership is, but it wouldn't be far for him to go at all after work and includes a health club, etc.

If he does decide to live in the Uptown or Carrollton area, have him check Tulane's Fitness Center. I believe non-students can join and they also have excellent courts.

+1 on the courts at City Park too. The complex is practically brand new and is very nice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2013, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
1,575 posts, read 2,722,259 times
Reputation: 1675
Good to hear that there are options. I will be moving down to New Orleans in August and I love to play. I'm about a 3.5.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top