Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2012, 09:32 PM

16 posts, read 27,396 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Mandeville and looked at a house in old golden shores. The neighborhood seemed nice and the house is a great size and close to shopping and the causeway. Did the neighborhood flood? Any issues with this area before we commit to something? Any opinions on the neighborhood would be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 03:10 PM

378 posts, read 1,202,129 times
That area did likely flood during Katrina, its pretty close to the Lake. Also, a quick google search found that there are a couple of group homes in the neighborhood. I'd look elsewhere... there's lots of other great neighborhoods in the area.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 4,033 times
Default Old Golden Shores

I live in Old Golden Shores and it is a very nice subdivision. It is also one of the older subdivisions in the area therefore most of the homes are older and strongly built. Most of Old Golden Shores did not flood during Katrina. I can verify that my house had no flooding. It depends on what side of Monroe Street you are looking. Some of the homes on the side of the Monroe Street close to the lake flooded. Old Golden Shores did suffer a lot of trees being downed during Katrina. If you commute across the lake to the southshore and New Orleans/Metairie you are right there by the bridge. There is a mixture of older and younger residents. There is also a mix of older and younger homes. There is a group home on the side of Monroe close to the lake. I can put you in touch with the subdivision president if you would like more info on that issue. I do not live close to that home. Yes, Old Golden Shores is close to plenty of schools, shopping, groceries, restaurants, churches, etc. Flood zones were just changed for the subdivision so you may want to check with City Hall on the proper flood zone for the house you are interested in. My home is now in an area that no longer requires flood insurance. Another plus is that Old Golden Shores is in a very good public school district for both elementary and high schools. Good luck.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:10 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,923,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rextifer62 View Post
I live in Old Golden Shores and it is a very nice subdivision. It is also one of the older subdivisions in the area therefore most of the homes are older and strongly built. Most of Old Golden Shores did not flood during Katrina. I can verify that my house had no flooding. It depends on what side of Monroe Street you are looking. Some of the homes on the side of the Monroe Street close to the lake flooded. Old Golden Shores did suffer a lot of trees being downed during Katrina. If you commute across the lake to the southshore and New Orleans/Metairie you are right there by the bridge. There is a mixture of older and younger residents. There is also a mix of older and younger homes. There is a group home on the side of Monroe close to the lake. I can put you in touch with the subdivision president if you would like more info on that issue. I do not live close to that home. Yes, Old Golden Shores is close to plenty of schools, shopping, groceries, restaurants, churches, etc. Flood zones were just changed for the subdivision so you may want to check with City Hall on the proper flood zone for the house you are interested in. My home is now in an area that no longer requires flood insurance. Another plus is that Old Golden Shores is in a very good public school district for both elementary and high schools. Good luck.
Stick around. We need more North Shore posters.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:12 AM

16 posts, read 27,396 times
Well we've been here for over a year and love it. We had a few trees down during Isaac but no water. The neighborhood is convenient to everything and the neighbors are great. We hope to stay for awhile.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:02 PM

54 posts, read 151,571 times
My house did not flood for Katrina or Isaac but it got close. Actually thinking of moving north of Monroe St, maybe even to Lacombe, out in the woods ie away from the Walmartian Invasion. Although I could handle Old Covington. Madisonville is a great little town but it's too little. Too many churches. It's bad enough all over the Northshore with all the churches, especially with OLL trying to ruin Old Mandeville.

The possibility of having water in our house, which of course is always possible every summer, is just a real downer. I saw enough of it after Katrina etc. One day we will get a 20 foot or more storm surge. It will happen. And that will not be good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans