U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 09:22 PM

58 posts, read 71,302 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I should start off by saying I am a young man who has lived in Michigan my entire life. I currently go to college and I will graduate next May. I will be 23 when I graduate and I will have a degree in Finance from a Big 10 school. Basically, I want to get out of Michigan. It was a great place to grow up but I do not want to live here my entire life. I also HATE the cold and I enjoy the heat well into the 90's. I will soon be in the best position of my life to make a move out of Michigan. I can live on a budget for a while until I find work, and I can spend the rest of this year building my savings for when I do move. Living cheaply until I find a good job is not a big deal to me, and it will only be my family and a handful of good friends I will be leaving behind in Michigan.

Anyways, I have been researching a few cities and eventually I plan to narrow down my choices to three or so cities; at which point I will visit all of them. I have to say right now Houston is what interests me most mainly because of the economy there. But I am also very interested in New Orleans, even though I have a few concerns. Here is what I am looking for an a city.....

- A city that is not boring. I want to live in a city that is exciting and does not feel mundane or repetitive. Even though I like urban environments, I care more about the "feel" of a city.
- A reasonable economy. I want to be able to find a good job within a few months of moving, and I hope there are reasonable apartments for reasonable prices that are not miles and miles away from the happening spots.
- Friendly non snobby/status oriented people. I like to talk to people from all walks of life. I don't want to live in a place where everything is about who you know, what you wear, or what your background is.
-Culture/Architecture. Pretty self explanatory. I think these two things make day to day living more interesting.
-I do not care about a world class opera, or a world class ballet, or the best art museum, or anything like that. I like aquariums, historic buildings, historic statues, history, and odd/unusual things you won't see in many other places.
-A city that is geared more towards single people than families relative to other cities.
- Good food. I do not care much about Ethiopian, Vietnamese, Thai, Moroccan, or any other exotic food really. Cajun food looks really good and it is more my style, but I would not want it every day and would still like variety.
-Good nightlife and fun/interesting bars.

So I was wondering if New Orleans is a good match for me in your eyes. I know I will most likely have to provide more specific info, and I will gladly do so. I just want to start preparing early rather than wait a month before to make a decision.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 09:47 PM

14,418 posts, read 20,901,051 times
1. New Orleans is far from boring. The activities in New Orleans don't bore me, I love authentic bars, festivals, parades, art, museums, and meeting the good tourists.

2. Houston is much better in this regard due to be much larger with a much better economy but New Orleans is up and coming.

3. Houston will probably have the edge here too, people come from all over the world to live in Houston and it's nice to meet and see so many people from all corners of the globe. New Orleans isn't snobby by any means, and neither is Houston but in New Orleans people will tend to ask you more about your background as it's a smaller city and people tend to know each other more often.

4. New Orleans

5. New Orleans, Houston is definitely not a slouch here though. Plenty of quirky thinks like the Art Car Parade.

6. The inner loop of Houston and New Orleans proper are geared more towards single and young families, not so much the suburban type.

7. New Orleans is not Cajun, I cannot say this enough on this forum but there is much more than that in New Orleans. It's one of the best places in the world to eat, why would it be one dimensional? Houston kills the diversity.

8. Houston and New Orleans has great bars and clubs, but New Orleans does it better, away from Bourbon St. that is.

Both would be a good fit but if you were to find a good job in New Orleans I think you would like it more than Houston.
I'm contemplating my move back to Houston or to New Orleans.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:40 PM

Interesting. The city sounds very cool, but I have a few concerns. Once you settle in the city and it no longer feels new, does it lose some of its appeal and begin to feel repetitive? Also I am worried that people would have such a strong desire to "preserve the culture" which they adore so much that new residents (especially from the north) would not be welcome by many. Finally, it does not matter how unique a city is if I can't afford to do anything. I am not sure how easily someone like me could find a good job within a reasonable time period. I also want to live in a city that feels like the new "west." A city with lots of opportunity and optimism.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:54 PM

1,087 posts, read 2,001,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimarco View Post
Interesting. The city sounds very cool, but I have a few concerns. Once you settle in the city and it no longer feels new, does it lose some of its appeal and begin to feel repetitive?
That could be the case in any city on the planet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimarco View Post
Also I am worried that people would have such a strong desire to "preserve the culture" which they adore so much that new residents (especially from the north) would not be welcome by many. Finally, it does not matter how unique a city is if I can't afford to do anything. I am not sure how easily someone like me could find a good job within a reasonable time period. I also want to live in a city that feels like the new "west." A city with lots of opportunity and optimism.
Dude, the Civil War ended 150 years ago. There are no hard feelings. New Orleans is quite different from the rest of the south. Half of the people in New Orleans proper weren't born here. It's quite "transplant friendly" and you don't need a lot of money to have a good time here.

All that said, jobs can be hard to come by depending on your field. Houston would have much more to offer in this area. Engineering in the oil and gas field is really strong here at the moment, but I can't speak for other jobs.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:30 AM

What do you mean someone like you?
People come from all over the world to visit and people come from all over the country to live there. You will not be alone in the least bit. What is your field?

Old 06-02-2013, 12:23 PM

It just seems like NOLA will either grow on you and get more interesting over time as you discover it, or it will get boring quickly after an initial period of awe. But I have a feeling it would be the former for me since it looks the like the city offers a lot of other things I am interested in besides nightlife (history, culture, charm, risk, a feeling of being in the new "west").

I was not sure how easily new people could assimilate and feel welcome. But based off what you guys say it sounds like that is not a problem.

I will have a degree in finance. As for whether or not I actually end up working in finance, I guess that would depend on the economy/where I end up living. But I would want to be able to get a good job in a reasonable amount of time whatever the field.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:40 PM

As long as you don't come here expecting New York then you will love it. You're gonna have to accept the bumps and bruises of the city.

I don't think your field will be nearly as easy to land a job as it would be in Houston but then again Houston isn't New Orleans.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:45 PM

If I came to NOLA expecting New York then I think I would be beyond help, haha. I like bumps and bruises btw. I want want a city that feels like the new frontier, not a "safe" city. I will have to visit first. Any areas I should explore that most tourists miss?

The job situation is a major concern though. But I have nobody to support but me. Many people throughout history have done the same.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:02 AM

Some good areas include Freret St, Magazine St, Harrison Ave in Lakeview, City Park, sometimes they have car meets on Lakeshore Dr, take the St. Charles streetcar to Carrolton, maybe walk around on St. Claude Ave, I think on Sundays they have a good bit of locals and lots of motorcycles and food in the streets, you can even go into Jefferson Parish and check out Old Metairie on Metairie Rd between Airline and the Canal.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:41 AM

198 posts, read 451,878 times
Houston, Houston, Houston!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or