Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 12:55 PM

14 posts, read 45,028 times

Advertisements

I have begun the process of saving money for a cross-country move I'd like to make approximately one year from now - when I have about $10,000 saved.

New Orleans is the front runner of the cities I'm considering.

I am 23, and work in Public Relations and Marketing. I have a degree and interview well. Although I worked a shiite job for a year out of college, I've never had much trouble finding employment, and now have a pretty solid job I enjoy. Should I be worried about finding work there?

What is life like for young people in the city? Is it mainly full of people born-and-raised in New Orleans? Or is there a sizeable community of transplants? Are people cliquey, or inclusive? Am I going to be sitting alone at a coffee shop every night? I don't have a facebook - does this mean the death of my social life? No I won't get one. And I'm single too. Do people get married young? Is dating going to be hellish? Are the men generally respectful?

I want to live in the Quarter or nearby. Is this area where the locals hang out (bars, restaurants, music venues, ect)? Or do they have a separate trendy area from the tourists? I don't want to be surrounded only by college kids and frat boys on spring break, but a little bit of that is OK.

I'd say I'd probably be classified as a "hipster" in that I like indie music and shop at thrift stores and read Sartre. Am I going to be out of place? I also loove football and jazz, but I'd be bummed if there weren't some flannel-wearing scenesters to hang out with. And good music coming through the area.

And lastly...I'm from Cali. I need to swim in a large body of water at least a couple times a year. Louisiana has coast, but I've never heard of any beaches, at least not good ones. How far am I going to have to drive for an ocean breeze? And will there be tar on the beaches and oil rigs in the distance?

What about camping in the wilderness? Are there any national parks or forests nearby? I don't even know what the geography is there. Outside of the city is it foresty? Or plain-y? Or just swampy?

I think that's all for now. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 02:42 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,033,621 times
1.) Some people here complain that a good ole boy network exists, but I don't think that's truer than anywhere else. I may be a native Louisianian, but I feel like this city is totally welcoming to outsiders, even on the job front. It seems like tons of people move here from elsewhere.

2.) DONT worry about meeting people!!! You will meet plenty of folks here. There is a very healthy mix of natives and outsiders, and it all seems to come together. Some of my best friends are from out of state.. some went to Tulane and just never left. Facebook might be a good idea to keep your contacts straight, but believe me, this is the best of both worlds with meeting people. You have Southern approachability and friendliness as well as the tolerance of differences found on the East and West Coasts. You will make friends in no time. People here wait to marry mostly, at least in the city. Late 20's is typical for guys. Some of the more rural suburbs may not wait that long. I was always raised to treat a girl like a lady and I feel like when I'm with my friends I don't need to ever correct them, we all act like gentlemen. So I don't think New Orleans guys are "bad" for that. There may be less professional people here though than other cities, so it may be a little harder to not find a guy who isn't just a partier, this city attracts 'em. But there are good people out there with goals.

3.) If you really want to live near the French Quarter you can check out the neighborhood known as the Faubourg Maringy. If it seems too rough around the edges, don't worry. The Uptown area is only a 10 minute drive (not freeway, slow city streets) and offers more quant, yet still lively, options. You can live in the University area of Uptown (Tulane/Loyola) and still not feel fratted out. I don't feel like this city is swallowed by the colleges, more like it absorbs them. Another option is Mid-City.. cheap and close to the Quarter. But also a little unpolished.

4.) Don't worry, this is one of the most "alternative" cities in the South! No one is going to judge you. Honestly I'm the fratty type guy but I'm friends with everybody, and I feel more out of place in certain neighborhoods than you will. The Fauboug Maringy and the Lower Garden District are swarming with hipsters.

5.) This might be a bummer for you. I swim in Lake Pontchartrain fairly often. It is a very large brackish lake that is clean, and we know this because it re-opened like 10 years ago to swimming and is monitored constantly. The lake is in city limits and has a few beaches with white sand, shipped there of course. The bottom is muddy, however and it basically looks like you're swimming in chocolate milk. But it's clean, you won't get sick! No oil either. If you really love to swim it'll work. An hour's drive is the Mississippi Gulf Coast, which is a little better because it's on a bay, but it's still not really pretty. 3 1/2 hours away is the Florida Panhandle, which has the absolute most beautiful beaches in the country, depending on your tastes. East of Pensacola is gorgeous.

6.) Outside of the city is mostly wetlands, not so much plains or forests. If you look at us on the map you'll see there's water everywhere surrounding us. The closest outdoor experience is 25 minutes away at Bayou Segnette, you can hike on trails next to swampland, but no camping. The nearest hilly forest I can think of is the Tunica Hills Wildlife Management Area. It's well worth the 90 minute drive north of Baton Rouge. I don't think you can sleep there overnight though. You can find other spots in Mississippi with camping, canoeing, etc. in the forest.

Good luck!!! I hope you make it down here

Old 06-01-2013, 07:05 PM

5 posts, read 8,039 times
Cool American coming home

I am an American living in Nelson, New Zealand. I've been away for over 10 years waiting for the recession to ease so I can come home. I am from CA, looking to make New Orleans my home, this site has been so helpful. I am a Full Charge Bookkeeper and Business Consultant with over 30 years experience (but no degree) in 3 countries. I hope I can find work quickly, never having worked or lived in LA. I have raised my 2 girls and am looking forward to living out of a suitcase again. If anyone has any sage advise about the city and the best time of the year to relocate. I need to find a cheap, safe and centrally located place to stay at first so any insight would be much appreciated. I choose New Orleans simply for the people and of course the music oh and the food! New Zealand is a lovely country but no flavour! Thanks for all the detailed posts describing New Orleans, anything you can share will be much appreciated! By the way I may come from California, but I was raised Southern and darn proud of it!

Old 06-02-2013, 09:33 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
The forum is full of information. What's your budget?

Old 06-02-2013, 04:02 PM

My budget is small, under $3000 after airfare. The good thing is I have a small monthly pension, so I have monthly income to cover housing until I find a job. The greatest question is what is the best time of the year to relocate? I don't what to pay summer tourist prices for a place to stay, yet I don't want to come when business is so slow no one is hiring. Because of my Bookkeeping background I'm thinking late fall, early winter just before end of year tax closing. New Oreland lives on it's own beat, with the summers being so hot, and Feb being so active, I need to arrive at just the right time. My main concern is housing, I won't have enough for deposit, rent etc, until I start working, we have places called Back_packers here in New Zealand, it's a bit like a boarding hostel where you have access to a community kitchen, but you have a private furnished room all for about $50-60 a night. I am weary of too cheap because I don't know the area, I don't want to get stuck in a seedy motel. Thanks for any help.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:04 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,340,165 times
Check out the India House Hostel in Mid-City.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:53 PM

Thanks rburnett, I forgot all about Hostels. Found India House al well as several others.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:23 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,945,820 times
Tax season actually runs until April 15 (not counting extensions)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Old 06-04-2013, 10:03 PM

Oh I recall tax deadline in the US very well (still get the sweats around April 15th), but for most business's they need to close out the books and send out W-2's and 1099's before Jan 31st. I actually don't prepare Income tax returns but for business's I prepare QTRLY's and Sales Tax as well as the payroll.
I have been told the cheapest time to fly is Sept-Jan, but still unsure if that is the best time to find a Bookkeeping position. Doesn't more business's want to have hired and trained a person before Marti Gras and Jazz Fest?

Old 06-09-2013, 03:27 PM

Thanks to everybody for your help. Looks like I'm coming home in Sept. Wish me luck, it's been so long since I've been on US soil, don't know what I'll do first! Eat, shop or just take it the accent!! What ever I do I'll do it in New Orleans, with a To Go Cup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans