Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 03:40 PM

54 posts, read 123,082 times

Advertisements

I'm 24 years old, Asian, male, and I currently reside in Seattle area. I currently working for FedEx and I work in one of the FedEx's warehouse, driving forklift loading and unloading trucks. I have 3 options currently and New Orleans is one of them. I wonder how much save ups should I have before moving there and what's the living cost's like over there? How's the job market? If I don't get transferred, will I get a warehouse/logistic jobs there easily? How's the people like over there? Good neighborhood for a single young man?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 05:45 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,946,612 times
Not sure about Seattle these days, but I'd imagine New Orleans would be cheaper.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Old 06-06-2013, 03:29 AM

Yeah I just did some research and New Orleans is cheaper.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

But how easy is it to fina a job though? And I like to ride bus, how's the public transportation over there?

Last edited by Yac; 06-07-2013 at 05:36 AM..

Old 06-06-2013, 06:05 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,340,454 times
The city has decent public transit for its size. You can definately get by without a car. The suburbs are a different story, though. A lot of warehouse jobs are going to be outside of the city.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:52 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,109,486 times
@rburnett and others. Many New Orleanians on this site have said no, you must have a car in New Orleans to get to your job, to transport your groceries in a city without many supermarkets (NOLA isn't Brooklyn), and most especially in case of evacuation. Question: do many people in NOLA live without a car other than college students? How do they get around? I've also considered New Orleans to live, I'm older than 21, and I would prefer to live there without a car.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:46 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
You can take streetcars and the bus, also your feet. Groceries are popping up all over the city except some downtown neighborhoods.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:17 AM

What if I live somewhere close to work and either walk/take bus to work?

That's how I do it here in Seattle. I walk to work or take bus if I'm too lazy to walk. I'm currently working for FedEx as a dock worker. I checked on google and FedEx do have a dock located at St Rose. How's the transportation and rents/housing over that part of NOLA?

I've just landed an interview with Saias as my second job to raise cash. I'll see if I can get a transfer to NOLA from FedEx once I saved up money and get an apartment deal close to St Rose or find a hotel and look for apartment over there.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:10 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
St. Rose is not walkable, it's a small river town. I work for Express and I assume that you currently work for Freight. Perhaps you can try and transfer to the hub at MSY.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
@rburnett and others. Many New Orleanians on this site have said no, you must have a car in New Orleans to get to your job, to transport your groceries in a city without many supermarkets (NOLA isn't Brooklyn), and most especially in case of evacuation. Question: do many people in NOLA live without a car other than college students? How do they get around? I've also considered New Orleans to live, I'm older than 21, and I would prefer to live there without a car.
On the whole, New Orleans is not Brooklyn. However, there are chunks of the city that have Brooklyn-like walkable amenities. If you live in one of these areas and you can to your job in a reasonable amount of time using transit, then you can be just fine without a car. A bicycle would be a good idea, though. It will make your life even easier. Wherever you need to go that isn't walkable is definitely bikeable. You will rarely have to travel more than five miles and everything is pretty much flat. The New Orleans map on Walkscore.com can give you a good idea of walkable areas. I live in Mid-City and work downtown. My car is parked 95% of the time.

A lot of posters don't live in the city itself. The suburbs immediately outside of New Orleans and beyond are extremely car-oriented with sparse or non-existent transit. So if you plan on living or working outside of the city, then a car is more of a requirement and can make things much easier. Also, remember, some people look at it like "Yes, I can drive everywhere!" while others look at it like "****, I HAVE to drive everywhere!" It's all personal preference.

As far as evacuation goes, its rare. Extremely rare. Katrina was really the only situation in the last 50+ years we truly had to evacuate. The city was out of commission for a few months with no power, water or sewage in the hard hit neighborhoods. Even then, some hardcore residents on higher ground chose to stay anyway. Most storms that come close cause power outages and down trees and we just ride them out for a few days. You don't NEED a car for an evacuation. What you NEED is a ride out of town if it's going to be a bad storm. That could mean your own personal vehicle, a ride with friends/neighbors, plane or train ticket, etc.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cylee777 View Post
What if I live somewhere close to work and either walk/take bus to work?

That's how I do it here in Seattle. I walk to work or take bus if I'm too lazy to walk. I'm currently working for FedEx as a dock worker. I checked on google and FedEx do have a dock located at St Rose. How's the transportation and rents/housing over that part of NOLA?

I've just landed an interview with Saias as my second job to raise cash. I'll see if I can get a transfer to NOLA from FedEx once I saved up money and get an apartment deal close to St Rose or find a hotel and look for apartment over there.
St. Rose is 10+ miles outside of New Orleans and there is no transit out there. The E2 bus ends at the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans