U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2013, 09:59 AM

48 posts, read 74,300 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am moving to New Orleans on July 1st, and looking for a job. I am planning on going through Kelly Services to try to find some office work, but does anyone know any good restaurants/bars to work at? I went to bartending school in Boston and currently bartend in Omaha.

I looked at the search function for "best restaurant to work at", but no threads came up addressing it.

So if you have a personal experience or a friend does, please share it. I am looking for a restaurant/bar with good management, good staff, and to make enough to pay rent.

On the flip side, if you know a good retail store to work for, or a customer service position, please let me know about those as well.

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 12:00 AM

54 posts, read 112,316 times
Ok since you have bartending experience, I say you might be able to stand restaurants. I dunno about how the restaurant industry down here in NOLA. I'm from Seattle and I might plan on a visit here sometimes next year and possibly moving here afterward. But generally speaking (If you have good amounts of restaurant experience you'll know.), you might want to avoid cook if you don't have the personality it takes.

As for retails, I say get a job at the Home Depot. They're some of the better retails out there that's not trying to screw over their employees. And if you don't have a strong personality, it's also good because people work there generally are nice (Be warned though, it might varied from individual stores...check a little bit before you accept the job offer.).

Last edited by cylee777; 06-14-2013 at 12:11 AM..

Old 06-18-2013, 11:14 AM

48 posts, read 74,300 times
Thanks for the advice! I will look into Home Depot!

Old 06-18-2013, 01:13 PM

77 posts, read 143,946 times
If you want to make good money and are a competent bartender, obviously look to work in places that are higher end and easily walk able from tourist attractions. That is where you will make the most money. Asking what the best restaurants to work at is kind of silly because there are so many good ones!

Old 06-18-2013, 11:20 PM

22 posts, read 37,336 times
Default Network

It is definitely a who kows who town! 6 mos b4 I found a restaurant job

Old 06-19-2013, 08:05 AM

13,161 posts, read 26,190,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anastasiaphoenix View Post
Thanks for the advice! I will look into Home Depot!
There is also a Costco being built, not sure when they will open but they have a rep as being good to their employees..my son worked at one until he finished college

Old 06-22-2013, 08:47 PM

7 posts, read 14,082 times
I don't agree with the having to know someone city. Especially with restaurants, I literally dressed nice, and hit the pavement. The places I wanted to apply I walked in and basically on the spot met with management and got offered positions that day.

If you have bartending experience and present yourself well walk into places that look nice/where you want to apply, I doubt it will be hard.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:21 PM

797 posts, read 1,168,567 times
My son was a bartender and a waiter at a historic hotel in PA before he moved to NOLA. He checked out craigslist for bartender/waiter jobs. He went to 3 places and filled out applications. The 4th one called his previous employer on the phone - they hired him on the spot. The other 3 called and offered him jobs before the end of the day. He worked part time and made great money last summer.(usually about $200 a shift). These were all upscaled places. He had recommendations with him, dressed in khakis, shirt and tie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of: