U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2013, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,786 times

Advertisements

I currently live in New York and I am planning to relocate to New Orleans in 2 months. I'm purchasing my one way ticket tomorrow. I am sure I'll have a place to stay for about a month or two while I get my footing. I am determined to leave no matter what so don't try to change my mind. I simply want advice from you all.

I am a 20 year old female with some college education. I currently have almost no money to my name but I am confident that I can make $2,000 before I leave but I am aiming to make as much as I can. I will be staying with a friend. I have a way to make pretty good money when I relocate. Do you think a minimum of $2k will be livable? I've never done anything like this before on my own and I don't want to be naive going into this.

Please tell me anything else I need to know! Much appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 04:30 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 9,126,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjames817 View Post
I currently live in New York and I am planning to relocate to New Orleans in 2 months. I'm purchasing my one way ticket tomorrow. I am sure I'll have a place to stay for about a month or two while I get my footing. I am determined to leave no matter what so don't try to change my mind. I simply want advice from you all.

I am a 20 year old female with some college education. I currently have almost no money to my name but I am confident that I can make $2,000 before I leave but I am aiming to make as much as I can. I will be staying with a friend. I have a way to make pretty good money when I relocate. Do you think a minimum of $2k will be livable? I've never done anything like this before on my own and I don't want to be naive going into this.

Please tell me anything else I need to know! Much appreciated
Make an excel spreadsheet, if your friend is providing a roof over your head and you will have a job (it usually takes a good 3-4 weeks before your first paycheck) then you should be able to get by. You will have to budget the money and live like a bum for a bit but 2k should go far if you aren't paying rent. Basically all you need to do is buy food and whatever transportation costs (bus, light rail if they have one). If you are required to pay rent then I'd say it will be really hard to do. 2k will not last long either way, so stretch it as far as you can and work your ass off to afford your own place.

On the plus side, New Orleans is super inexpensive when compared with New York, specially if you are coming from NYC.

Good luck.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:39 PM

4,759 posts, read 6,446,043 times
$2k (after cost of plane ticket) and you have a place to stay for 2 months?

That's an adventure I'd be looking forward too.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:16 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,532,151 times
I love your "jump out of the plane" mentality! You and I are kindred spirits in that regard. Now down to business...

What area of N.O. does your friend reside in?
What sort of job/salary are so sure you'll have waiting?

You'll need to be positive about the job you mentioned because any healthy 20 year old is going to burn through those dollars if you're not ultra frugal in a city with so many "affordable" things to do. New Orleans has some sort of alluring festival almost every other weekend and if you're not careful to start work ASAP, that 2k will be a distant memory before your 60 day headstart is over. As long as you're in the city-proper, public transit will be a breeze.

-20 years old
-Living FREE for 2 months
-No kids
-No debt(I hope)
-A job awaiting your arrival
....the 2 grand, even minus flight costs, should be enough to get started with your particular situation if you're careful.

The best of luck to you. You're going to love New Orleans. Ciao
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or