Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 03:28 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,086,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Can't say I agree there. Many cities are prone to disasters, it's not like New Orleans floods like that every season.
My sentiments exactly. I'm not sure how long people will antiquate New Orleans to devastating hurricanes as if Katrina happens often, but I cannot wait until the day when it stops...

Though i can understand the immediate hesitancy of some, especially businesses, I guess I just wish people would think about it. A huuuuge hurricane came through, THEN the levees, which were already inadequate, were blown up, thus flooding the city. Does that happen every year or even once a decade? Nope. Did it happen prior to Katrina every year or even once every 10? Nope.

...so why are we still talking about hurricanes in New Orleans more than we talk about earthquakes in California
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 03:37 PM

643 posts, read 978,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
My sentiments exactly. I'm not sure how long people will antiquate New Orleans to devastating hurricanes as if Katrina happens often, but I cannot wait until the day when it stops...

Though i can understand the immediate hesitancy of some, especially businesses, I guess I just wish people would think about it. A huuuuge hurricane came through, THEN the levees, which were already inadequate, were blown up, thus flooding the city. Does that happen every year or even once a decade? Nope. Did it happen prior to Katrina every year or even once every 10? Nope.

...so why are we still talking about hurricanes in New Orleans more than we talk about earthquakes in California
My sentiments exactly chilly gentilly

Old 08-26-2013, 08:58 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
You lived there during the crack epidemic and when New Orleans was the murder capital. I don't blame you but it's not that way anymore.
I remember the news report about the woman who was murdered in the parking lot for her groceries. I mean, what if you don't LIKE the kind of food that she eats? Wouldn't it be smarter to murder her, steal her money and THEN GO GROCERY SHOPPING?

Some people have no common sense at all.

Anyway. I hope you're right, because it was a sewer back then.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-26-2013, 09:19 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post

Because people don't care what's going on outside of there metro area. Katrina wasn't even a 5 when it made landfall. It was a 4 and quickly went down to a 3.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:20 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I remember the news report about the woman who was murdered in the parking lot for her groceries. I mean, what if you don't LIKE the kind of food that she eats? Wouldn't it be smarter to murder her, steal her money and THEN GO GROCERY SHOPPING?

Some people have no common sense at all.

Anyway. I hope you're right, because it was a sewer back then.

20yrsinBranson
Things like that happen in Baton Rouge but typically most crimes are concentrated in a bad area. That's the reason I carry a FNH FNS .40.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:56 PM

639 posts, read 821,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sconley9922 View Post
I don't see the increased population stopping anytime soon. The time is now for new orleans to capitalize on the influx of people to the city and area...businesses will see that people will actually want to be here and will want to relocate their headquarters here....we can only go up from here....the sky really is the limit now
I agree, I think NOLA will continue to see a steady population growth this decade hopefully a more rapid one next decade. I sure hope you are right that companies will want locate there headquarters here, man that would be HUGE. I was reading where Memphis was able to attract 3 fortune 500 companies in one year, I believe it was 2006. They now have 4 fortune 500 companies headquartered there. I wonder how they were able to pull that off?

Old 03-19-2014, 03:53 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,946,612 times
Levees failed, were not blown up.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:46 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,342,798 times
I lived in New Orleans many years, in the good times and the bad times. The problem w/ it ever being a major city is it's just a terrible place to do business. There are so many obstructions. Then, having the the city 8 feet UNDER sea level doesn't exactly encourage development. If the pumps fail, as they have in the past, there will be big trouble.

New Orleans is a unique place w/ fantastic food and music. But it has problems and has always had problems. You pay a price to live there. What was fun in my 20's thru 40's is just not worth it in my 60's. But we visit now and then and have a great time.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:38 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,340,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
I lived in New Orleans many years, in the good times and the bad times. The problem w/ it ever being a major city is it's just a terrible place to do business. There are so many obstructions. Then, having the the city 8 feet UNDER sea level doesn't exactly encourage development. If the pumps fail, as they have in the past, there will be big trouble.

New Orleans is a unique place w/ fantastic food and music. But it has problems and has always had problems. You pay a price to live there. What was fun in my 20's thru 40's is just not worth it in my 60's. But we visit now and then and have a great time.
Well, I guess all of our thriving local businesses didn't get that memo.

The city is not 8ft below sea level. Fact check yourself.

See:Study bust myth that New Orleans is sunken city | NOLA.com

Old 03-23-2014, 07:02 PM

105 posts, read 153,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
I disagree. New York, Miami and San Fransisco are all equally vulnerable to significant natural disasters. Still, they are home to quite a few Fortune 500s. There is no reason we can't have the same here.
Yeah, but they aint underwater, the water has somewhere to drain and their pumps work. Cheap prices will attract people and speculative businesses, NOLA will reach an economic equillibrium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans