U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2013, 02:34 PM

8,113 posts, read 18,639,631 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

As you can tell, I've been around C-D for a moment albeit more of a silent observer in this forum as I took in information for a recent visit that my wife and I took that was part vacation/part neighborhood-hunting for a possible relocation in about five years. This was our third visit there together, all post-Katrina.

The best way to describe us would be to say that we're a 50something IR couple with a 40something mindset: that is, we like to have a good time but don't need to be out until 3am. She's a New Orleans-area native although it's been about twenty years since she's lived there. I've lived in an around Philadelphia for virtually all of my life until I moved down to the DC area to pursue a job opportunity and deepen the then-LTR with the woman who would become my Mrs.

"Of course", in an ideal world we would love to live in the Garden District. In fact, that's where we stayed for our visit. More realistically, we would prefer a reasonably safe city neighborhood by typical urban standards where we could get a 2BR/2BA for under $1000. The closer to Magazine Street, the better as I would consider that, along with St. Charles Ave. to a degree, to be my "downtown". Also, while my lady drives, I would be often be using

So between walking. bussing and driving around, we checked out the following neighborhoods:

St. Thomas*: We liked that there was convenient shopping for staples (Wal-Mart etc.) although I didn't spot any bus stops nearby.

West Riverside*: Seemed to have potential but not many apartments and some houses seemed to be a mixed bag.

Carrollton: We loved the area above (or is it "downriver"?) of S. Carrollton Ave, especially around Oak Street. I can see this as a place we would feel comfortable in, as others have suggested often on this forum.

Mid-City: Perhaps we just hit the wrong streets? Or maybe we should have used the Rock-and-Bowl as a landmark? In any event, I just didn't find this area as appealing as I had hoped I would. We already knew that it would be a little gritty but we never found a series of blocks where we might want to spend our downtime.

Faubourg Marigny: I was basically in "tourist mode" here as I never made it past the Quarter before to visit. I can definitely see it as an alternate downtown for me, especially for music. I'm presuming that quality rentals here would be beyond my budget...although I'd be happy to be proven wrong!

Ironically, after looking up apartment buildings on line, we found that The Muses fit our preferences and budget the best. I say "ironically" because it appears to be on the border of the CBD and Lower Garden District which we thought would be beyond us. We never got to visit it personally so another reconnaissance mission - hopefully next year - will be required.

Thanks for reading and I'd be interested in reading any of your thoughts.

*These are the neighborhood names that my smartphone map gave me. Please correct or update me on the current names if needed.

Last edited by FindingZen; 07-21-2013 at 02:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or