U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2013, 02:23 PM

207 posts, read 590,894 times

Advertisements

When I say the "disaster" I'm talking after the storm, when the levees broke. and what occurred in the Superdome. What happened in the post Katrina aftermath?

DETAILED ANSWERS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 02:31 PM

3,761 posts, read 5,514,420 times
Um, the flooded homes and businesses, the stranded people, the appallingly slow government response, the looting, the inept FEMA boss, the enormous damage and cleanup effort, the economic fallout, etc. etc. What else do you need to know?

Old 08-13-2013, 03:08 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,530,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Um, the flooded homes and businesses, the stranded people, the appallingly slow government response, the looting, the inept FEMA boss, the enormous damage and cleanup effort, the economic fallout, etc. etc. What else do you need to know?

^^^this

Old 08-13-2013, 03:19 PM

1,087 posts, read 2,002,609 times
Effects of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-13-2013, 06:09 PM

11,699 posts, read 9,354,591 times
Incompetent governor and New Orleans mayor didn't follow their own city/state emergency plan prior to the storm's arrival. Everything was fine in New Orleans until the levees broke. Once that happened, Governor Blanco became Governor Deer-in-headlights. When it became obvious the government (city/state) were brain dead, a large group of boaters in the Lafayette area formed a convoy and headed to New Orleans to get the people out. They were stopped by the state police under orders from the governor to not let them into the city. They came up with a BS story about their boats getting damaged and they'd be stuck. Some of those boaters went home while others used back roads they knew and started the rescue. None of them damaged their boats. From north Louisiana came a caravan of school buses. They too were stopped by the state police on orders from the governor. While none of this received any national coverage, Blanco was on the national news blaming Bush for not doing her job for her. While she was saying this on national news, Bush had two US Navy ships off the coast providing what aid they could while awaiting the ships from Norfolk. These two ships were doing exercises in the Gulf of Mexico and so they did what they could providing medical aid, clean drinking water, food, and helping hands. When the other ships arrived, they had many more helicopters, supplies, and helping hands. After the people were taken care of and Congress approved a large chunk of change to New Orleans, the city and state government held onto that money with a tight fist instead of using it for necessary recovery projects. The New Orleans Levees boards were about as corrupt as the NOPD. Much of their funds prior to Katrina went to everything BUT the levees. When the National Guard and Navy were conducting rescues, Representative "Cold Cash" Jefferson of New Orleans had troops help him move things from his home, things that may include cash from his bribery or evidence for his trial. While all that drama was going on, other cities and towns literally wiped off the map were working to clean up and rebuild. New Orleans first business to re-open was naturally a bar. Don't have a home or electricity but they got their priorities, getting drunk. The New Orleans evacuees were a pain in the backside for all the cities they were sent to. In Lafayette, they damaged the Cajun Dome that was used as a shelter for them. One example of the damage they did includes breaking the bricks off the walls and flushing the pieces of bricks in all the toilets. Took a long time to clear the lines after they left. They caused fights and other crimes where ever they went.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:20 PM

1,845 posts, read 3,844,401 times
Aw , man . Stick with the " it's all Bush's fault " story , will ya' ?

Old 08-13-2013, 07:04 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,530,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Incompetent governor and New Orleans mayor didn't follow their own city/state emergency plan prior to the storm's arrival. Everything was fine in New Orleans until the levees broke. Once that happened, Governor Blanco became Governor Deer-in-headlights. When it became obvious the government (city/state) were brain dead, a large group of boaters in the Lafayette area formed a convoy and headed to New Orleans to get the people out. They were stopped by the state police under orders from the governor to not let them into the city. They came up with a BS story about their boats getting damaged and they'd be stuck. Some of those boaters went home while others used back roads they knew and started the rescue. None of them damaged their boats. From north Louisiana came a caravan of school buses. They too were stopped by the state police on orders from the governor. While none of this received any national coverage, Blanco was on the national news blaming Bush for not doing her job for her. While she was saying this on national news, Bush had two US Navy ships off the coast providing what aid they could while awaiting the ships from Norfolk. These two ships were doing exercises in the Gulf of Mexico and so they did what they could providing medical aid, clean drinking water, food, and helping hands. When the other ships arrived, they had many more helicopters, supplies, and helping hands. After the people were taken care of and Congress approved a large chunk of change to New Orleans, the city and state government held onto that money with a tight fist instead of using it for necessary recovery projects. The New Orleans Levees boards were about as corrupt as the NOPD. Much of their funds prior to Katrina went to everything BUT the levees. When the National Guard and Navy were conducting rescues, Representative "Cold Cash" Jefferson of New Orleans had troops help him move things from his home, things that may include cash from his bribery or evidence for his trial. While all that drama was going on, other cities and towns literally wiped off the map were working to clean up and rebuild. New Orleans first business to re-open was naturally a bar. Don't have a home or electricity but they got their priorities, getting drunk. The New Orleans evacuees were a pain in the backside for all the cities they were sent to. In Lafayette, they damaged the Cajun Dome that was used as a shelter for them. One example of the damage they did includes breaking the bricks off the walls and flushing the pieces of bricks in all the toilets. Took a long time to clear the lines after they left. They caused fights and other crimes where ever they went.
I loved New Orleans then as much as I do now as the new home for my young family and I. But I have to agree with victimofGM about alot of the evacuees. Before I married my wife, who is a native New Orleanian and then evacuee, I was a 21 year old college student and had volunteered at a newly formed Evacuee Shelter opened by my late uncle. As excited as i was to help these victimized individuals and families, I was moreso appaulled at the ingratitude. These people were coming from a literal nothing into a FREE shelter with individual rooms(it was a hotel before) where they complained about everything from the a lack of television in their room to the type of FREE food they were given...

At that age I couldn't understand the mentality, but now, as a reformed Fiscal Democrat I do. I now see the direct correlation between welfare and attitudes of entitlement.

Unfortunately, this is a huge problem within the lower financial class in New Orleans. Anyone remember Sharon Jasper??

So, contributing to what victimofGM said, I would add that those with initiative to get up and rebuild were outnumbered by those waiting for the government or their "god" to fix the city. Fortunately, within the last few years that has changed due to an influx of businesses and entreprenuers coming to the city, helping the rebuilding process and resurgence. And I'm proud that my business and I are apart of that number.

...my 2 cents. Ciao
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans