Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 03:46 PM

20 posts, read 42,532 times

Advertisements

Hello...I might be moving to NOLA from Shreveport in the upcoming months and am wondering if there ware any older, safe, affordable areas. Shreveport has Broadmoor which has 1930's-1960's homes that are in the 150's to low 300's and is considered a safe neighborhood with good schools. I love older homes preferably before 1950 and despise newer ones. The only homes I've seen that fit that description in NOLA are way out of my price range. Is there a neighborhood that I should be looking at for this or am I out of luck and stuck with cookie cutter homes in this price range :/ ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 10:05 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
What is your price range? The best area for you would probably be somewhere in Mid-City, possibly Uptown/Carrolton.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:16 AM

814 posts, read 1,475,718 times
A budget that goes up to the low 300s could buy you a house in a lot of the safe older neighborhoods. You could try looking in the Bywater, Mid City, Esplanade Ridge, Carrollton/Riverbend, Broadmoor, Algiers Point, and some of the other good parts of Uptown. You could also try South Lakeview/Navarre. Also New Orleans only has a small amount of good public/charter schools, unless your description also includes private schools.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:55 PM

Thanks for the responses! I am looking in the 200's to low 300's. I'm open to private schools if the local schools won't work for us.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:16 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,086,131 times
Hey Nisha! My wife and I just moved our young family from Shreveport to New Orleans, my wife's hometown. I can tell you that, unless you're acclimated to the value of old, Nola style shotgun houses, you might want to look at Slidell. The Northshore will give you a bit more of the housing style you're used to from the 318 along with the affordability you described.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:48 PM

814 posts, read 1,475,718 times
The Northshore is not really going to work for someone who wants a house built before 1950. As I mentioned earlier that budget can get you a older home in many of the neighborhoods I mentioned and others, and that includes non shotguns and converted shotguns.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:27 PM

Thanks! I'll begin looking at those neighborhoods, it'll pretty much come down to which is the safest.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:09 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,340,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHVtoATL View Post
Hey Nisha! My wife and I just moved our young family from Shreveport to New Orleans, my wife's hometown. I can tell you that, unless you're acclimated to the value of old, Nola style shotgun houses, you might want to look at Slidell. The Northshore will give you a bit more of the housing style you're used to from the 318 along with the affordability you described.
Pre 1950? Not many in Slidell or the Northshore in general for that matter. Slidell is not New Orleans.

Broadmoor and parts of Mid-City are quite safe and are almost all ~100yr old houses. You should be able to find something in your price range. For Broadmoor, look between Fontainbleau and Claiborne from Broadway down to Napolean. For Mid City, look between Carrollton and City Park Ave.

You can also check out the Navarre neighborhood on the lake side of City Park Ave. It's not quite as old and has a little more of a suburban feel, but a lot of the houses are pre WWII.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:16 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,086,131 times
I'm not a fan of the Northshore, but she did mention 200's and 300's in a safe area. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but will you or won't you get a heck of alot more for that price in Slidell?...We moved our family to Gentilly Terrace and love it, but we're renting a townhouse.

I think you guys are focusing more on her home style preference over what might be most feasible ...As she stated in the OP, "The only homes I've seen that fit that description in NOLA are way out of my price range."

Nisha, its true, Slidell AINT New Orleans, but it is a decent suburb of N.O. with generally low crime and is overall more affordable. As you've witnessed, those coveted historic homes in good safe areas with good schools are going to tip the scales of affordability so that may be something you and your family would want to plan on looking into a little later.

Whether in the city or the burbs, you're going to love New Orleans. I hope I helped some. Ciao

Old 08-19-2013, 08:08 PM

105 posts, read 234,696 times
The northshore won't get you shot like in New Orleans. Look into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans