Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 05:59 AM

105 posts, read 234,696 times

Advertisements

F.Q. attack caught on video initially ruled 'unfounded' by NOPD | wwltv.com New Orleans

like clockwork, the city is overrun by violent offenders. Who has some ideas to help lower the violent crime rate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 06:41 PM

Violence in New Orleans. Its as reliable as the sun going down at night.

Racial slur, police errors involved in French Quarter beating saga | wwltv.com New Orleans

Old 08-28-2013, 02:02 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,354,979 times
They are ignoring you ...

Old 08-28-2013, 06:29 PM

I'm just trying to help. I would love to make the argument that New Orleans is great place to live for a family, but the violence there is outrageous. What can we do turn it around?

Old 08-28-2013, 06:49 PM

The Mayor of New Orleans asks New Orleanians to "Stop The Killing"

Let's honor Martin Luther King's legacy and stop the killing: Mitch Landrieu | NOLA.com

Way to go Mr. Mayor! I love this dude. What actions can we perform to lessen the insane murder rate? I want suggestions.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:53 PM

640 posts, read 1,226,215 times
I think it's more that no one knows the answer..I'm an urban planner and I don't have an answer besides better schools and increased police force.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:21 PM

Yes good suggestion. The problem with the NOPD unfortunately is that their salary is below average for a city of it's size and that's a problem. In addition I think they have gone the wrong way in a couple of recent decisions.

First, I hate tattoos. But the new policy where officers must cover up their tattoos is a bad idea IMO. I don't understand that policy and it lowers morale.

Second and even worse, the new NOPD policy where officers must live in Orleans Parish. On their salary that is extremely unfortunate. The nice areas of town are far too expensive for an officer earning in the 40K range.

I do think they have made some improvement with the magnet schools.

I would like to see more enforcement in the Quarter and introducing a cerfew of 2AM seven days per week. Again, I realize it won't happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
I think it's more that no one knows the answer..I'm an urban planner and I don't have an answer besides better schools and increased police force.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:24 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTucker View Post

Second and even worse, the new NOPD policy where officers must live in Orleans Parish. On their salary that is extremely unfortunate. The nice areas of town are far too expensive for an officer earning in the 40K range.

I do think they have made some improvement with the magnet schools.

I would like to see more enforcement in the Quarter and introducing a cerfew of 2AM seven days per week. Again, I realize it won't happen.
That's not a NOPD policy. It's a city government policy. Officers make good money doing details and those opportunities are a plenty. 40K is starting salary, it's not static.

Charter* schools.

A curfew? Are you trying to cripple the states economy?

Old 08-28-2013, 09:46 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,946,612 times
Cleaning helps. Really. A lot of the success of "zero tolerance" policies elsewhere can be attributed to the fact that it makes a city cleaner. Just think of how much more "sense" it makes to throw litter into a pile that's already there. Nobody's immune to this; we all "go along with the Joneses". Basic things like grass cutting and litter pick up make the city a more attractive (and less violent) place.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:53 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,946,612 times
Also, lead remediation. There's a lot of evidence that correlates lead levels with crime rates. Huge swaths of the city still have very high concentrations of lead in the soil. Lead poisoning in kids leads to more aggressive behavior later in life. Most people don't like to hear about that kind of stuff because it's easier to bang your fist on the table about the "welfare mentality," but it's true. A lot of kids who grow up in New Orleans are hard-wired for violence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans