U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2013, 01:21 PM

5 posts, read 18,193 times

Advertisements

I know this has been asked many times, so I really appreciate any help!

My husband and I are probably going to be moving down to NO in the next few months from Baton Rouge. He'll be working downtown most likely, and I'll be working in St. Charles parish. I'm used to a long commute but don't want the 2+ hours evening drive that I have in Baton Rouge right now. Is that even feasible if we want to live inside the city?

What neighborhoods would you recommend we look at, or avoid? Our budget is around $400k, probably $450k max. We prefer historical homes, not huge, and would like a safe neighborhood. But we are used to the normal city crime, having your car broken into, etc. Think Baton Rouge Garden District if you're familiar with BR.

We're in our late 20s, no plans for kids but probably should assume it will happen eventually. We'd prefer a neighborhood with restaurants, coffee shops, etc nearby. We hate having to get in the car and drive 20 minutes everywhere we want to go. I have a close friend that recently moved to Lakeview but it seems like mostly newer homes for sale there now.

We're currently scoping out places in the following areas
  • Irish Channel
  • Marigny
  • Marleyville/Fountainblea
  • Lakeview
  • Broadmoore
  • Mid-City

Any gems we're missing here? Or would you recommend against any of these places?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 02:17 PM

1,087 posts, read 2,000,176 times
See: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-o...relo-nola.html

and: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-o...moving-no.html

and also: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-o...l#post30382185

You can get a detailed crime map here: http://www.crimemapping.com/map/la/neworleans

Last edited by rburnett; 09-04-2013 at 02:42 PM..

Old 09-04-2013, 03:17 PM

Safety:

1. Lakeview
2. Broadmoor
3. Mid-City (depends on area)
4. Marleyville/Fountainbleau
5. Irish Channel
6. Marigny

Price (Most expensive first)

1. Marigny
2. Marleyville/Fountainbleau
3. Lakeview
4. Mid-City
5. Broadmoor
6. Irish Channel

Walkability / Age of houses (Oldest first)

1. Marigny
2. Irish Channel
3. Mid-City
4. Marleyville/Fountainbleau
5. Broadmoor
6. Lakeview

Old 09-05-2013, 09:45 AM

5 posts, read 18,193 times
Thanks! Those rankings are really helpful. Interesting that safety and walkability are almost directly inverse!

Old 09-05-2013, 10:36 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,400,541 times
Hi... Sarah Elizabeth is my sister's name too, but that's obviously not the kind of info you came looking for.

I would look in the area around the universities... that's the safest area of Orleans Parish, though yes, it's pricey. It would be zip code 70118.

I went ahead and did a search on realtor.com of 70118/max price 400k: 70118 Real Estate - New Orleans, LA 70118 Homes for Sale - realtor.com®

Just as an example: This is a little house, but you could walk to Maple St where there are a lot of restaurants and such, and Magazine would be close by, though you'd still have to drive to shop there 329 Lowerline St, New Orleans, LA 70118 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

You'd also be 3 or 4 blocks walk from Drew Brees' house, just to give you an idea of the character of the neighborhood.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahbeth722 View Post
Thanks! Those rankings are really helpful. Interesting that safety and walkability are almost directly inverse!
That's not a hard and fast rule, though. Bywater, Warehouse District, and parts of Uptown and Mid City are both walkable and safe. That also means, they're expensive.

Lakeview CAN be walkable if you live close to Harrison Ave. However, most people you'll see walking are heading to and from their cars. It's much more suburban culture, but you can make it work if you really want to.

Broadmoor has those 100yr old homes, a dense street grid and is very safe. The problem is, it's mostly residential and there's not much to walk to. There's only that one small retail area at Calhoun and Claiborne. On the plus side, you're less than 2 miles from anything you want to do in the Uptown area: an easy bike ride.

With that budget and those preferences, I would recommend you look between St. Charles and the river, from Napolean Ave up to Jefferson Ave.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,166 times
You'll be happiest close to magazine street. Magazine is expensive but the three streets parallel towards the river are reasonably priced and have a serious community vibe. This part of town is the gray area in between the Irish channel and the lower garden district. You'll have live music (tipitinas!!), coffee shops, restaurants, whole foods, everything you need within walking distance or a short bike ride. This area is also an easy commute to "downtown"-the French quarter and is the best neighborhood for mardi gras mobility.

I wouldn't recommend fountainbleau, broadmoore, or the university district- from experience. These aren't bad places but they tend to be more expensive with less convenience or character.

The bywater/marigny district is great to spend time in, however, it isn't the safest to live.

Hope you find what you're looking for!

Love and light
Xx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or