U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 12:35 PM

46 posts, read 125,377 times

Advertisements

Hello. My Husband and I plan on visiting NOLA for the first time in the middle of October. I'm a bit worried cuz I have read about how dangerous the area can be. We plan to mainly do tours and eat/shop in the French Quarter. We're also hoping to check out some of the Garden District and Frenchmen St. We will be staying at the H.H. Whitney House on Esplanade Ave which seems to be a bit of a walk. It looks as though some really unsafe neighborhoods are nearby so should we plan on taking a cab to get to and from the French Quarter? Are there any websites that list out all of the worst (most unsafe) streets/neighborhoods that we should avoid? I'd really appreciate if anyone could tell me the safest and least safest streets or areas in New Orleans. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 01:35 PM

1,098 posts, read 2,178,290 times
This is a rough map of places that, especially as a first time visitor, you probably want to avoid. It's not a hard and fast rule, just a guideline.

Walking through the Quarter and Marigny is fine in the daytime, but at night, try to stick to the more populated streets (Frenchmen, upper Bourbon, Decatur, etc.) Everywhere else, you should be good to go, just be aware.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:03 AM

Ok, thanks for the map. That is quite a bit of areas to avoid so I'm not sure we will realistically be able to avoid them all, but we will certainly use caution and only travel there during the day. We are staying on Esplanade Ave so I suppose it would be best for us to get a cab to and from the french quarter?

Old 09-10-2013, 11:34 AM

15,742 posts, read 23,617,560 times
Depends on what part of Esplanade it is. Between the Quarter and Marigny, Esplanade is busy during the day.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:41 AM

1,098 posts, read 2,178,290 times
Esplanade is okay, but it starts to get sketchy a block or two off in that area. During the daylight, you might try walking to the Quarter and see how comfortable you feel. I think the average suburbanite would feel uncomfortable walking on Esplanade near Claiborne Ave. You can also catch the #91 bus and use a cab when needed. See: Line

Have you thought about renting a bike? Esplanade was recently repaved with a bike lane and the quarter is extremely bikeable. Honestly, if you're going to be spending most of your time in the Quarter, its probably your easiest/quickest option.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:10 AM

Thanks for the tips. We are staying about 8 blocks away from the French Quarter on Esplanade. I think we will definitely be interested in taking the bus to save some money. I would certainly be interested in renting a bike if my Husband knew how to ride a bike as well.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:16 AM

1,373 posts, read 2,655,756 times
Wuz gona pm u so folks don't get upset, but to heck with that. My advice, save up sum cab money,lol. Don't party late hours in unfamiliar area's, and for sure, if ur crazy nuff to walk to the quarter from where ur stayin, stay on esplanade, and don't try it at nite, in fact don't try it in the day. Ur on vacation, but this aint Disney land and yep ur stayin in a pretty sketchy area. Sum area like down in the quarter are well policed, other area's uur pretty much on ur own, if that makes u feel unsafe good, cause I'm talkin reality. Have a great vacation, but please stay safe.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:34 AM

310 posts, read 816,771 times
You're staying at a gorgeous B & B type place that's a great part of the gentrification of that area of Esplanade. My favorite B & B (Ashton's) is almost right next door. That being said, I'd be okay, but still very much on guard, walking it in the day. There is NO WAY I'd walk that at night, especially with a few drinks on board. You'll love the place you're staying but be forewarned that the area surrounding it can be "iffy." Your hotel is in an up and coming area where many hipsters are staring to move to, but you're surrounded by some of the most historically dangerous neighborhoods in the city. Make sure to budget transport expenses, for sure.

I grew up near Pittsburgh. Think of, say, Aliquippa, and multiply it by 2-5 depending on your comfort zone. After living here, Aliquippa feels like Pleasantville. The culture shock is what's going to get you here in New Orleans. You'll FEEL more unsafe than you really are. Chances are, if you're not mouthing off to strangers or selling/looking for drugs, you won't be a target.

I'm not trying to scare you because you're going to experience nothing like you ever have. Take my example and put it into one square city block. One block in New Orleans is the "hood" and the next may have million dollar homes. It's just strange that way.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:43 AM

62 posts, read 268,625 times
I'm not refuting what anybody has said so far, I don't know the area well enough to really comment on it. But a couple of years ago I attended the second Jazz Fest weekend, and every day afterwards we walked down Esplanade Avenue from the Fairgrounds to the I-10 overpass to catch a cab--I don't recall ever walking all the way to the Quarter but we may have done so once. This was always around dusk as night was falling, and we did the walk without incident and I never once felt unsafe. I'm just wondering where exactly the danger exists around Esplanade Ave., because the street itself looks so opulent and feels very safe (except around the I-10 and Rampart intersections, which don't seem particularly dangerous, just a little more barren/sketchy). How quickly do things deteriorate off of Esplanade? Is there much spill over in terms of crime onto the avenue itself?

Old 09-13-2013, 11:32 AM

1,491 posts, read 2,661,725 times
Bottom line is that you're going to be fine. You will follow a guide book (I hope) that will have you going to tourist-related places with a police presence that other parts of the city can only dream about. You will not go looking for drugs, hookers and other trouble-attracting things (I hope) and if you get horribly intoxicated (which can happen) you will spend the money for a taxi to get you back to where you are staying.

Here in Colombia there is a saying, "No dar papaya", which means don't make yourself available to those who might take advantage. Leave your giant camera hanging around your neck at home. Same goes for your flashy jewelry and other things that call attention to yourself. Know where you are going AHEAD OF TIME, and if you get lost duck into a business or something of that sort until you get re-oriented.

I'm sure you will love the city! Treat it like any unfamiliar place and in turn I'm sure you will be received like a part of the family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans