Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 09:26 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaigeinPhilly View Post
Thats unfortunate...how about the lower garden district? I was checking out river gardens at st andrews (saw quite a few good reviews)...which is different than the river gardens at felicity (saw MANY bad reviews)

Im not from Austin..I have a house here in North austin since june 2015..yes its safe and quiet...but before that I was living in Katy for a couple of years...a burb of houston..again..safe and quiet..but before that I was 8 yrs in the inner city of philly (killadelphia as we would joke)....so ive seen quite a bit...Id be working for a year in Nola.
The LBD can be spotty too, but better than Treme.

I used to live in Houston, am pretty familiar with Katy, crazy how fast Grand Parkway changed the area.

Since you lived in Philly, I'd say you're good in the LGD. And for the record, I think Treme is fine during the day but is seedy at night, I know it's getting better though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 03:48 PM

30 posts, read 58,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
The LBD can be spotty too, but better than Treme.

I used to live in Houston, am pretty familiar with Katy, crazy how fast Grand Parkway changed the area.

Since you lived in Philly, I'd say you're good in the LGD. And for the record, I think Treme is fine during the day but is seedy at night, I know it's getting better though.
the Grand parkway...yup!...houston has eaten up all of the surrounding areas lol...ok... yeh Philly...which is a total "block by block" kinda city...I scoured city-data before moving there too...and I gotta say it was pretty helpful!...so I was looking into River garden on st. andrew...anything? its different from river garden on felicity which has some heinous reviews..wow!

This is what I found in treme...anything on Faubourg Lafitte? the price looks right and it appears to be a mixed income set up..which I dont mind as long as everything is kosher..

Old 02-22-2016, 04:33 PM

New Orleans is a block by block city as well.

Are you referring to the Lafitte Projects redevelopment? I don't know if there's an official name. http://faubourglafitte.com/

It's in a upcoming area, especially along the Lafitte Greenway, but there's still high crime in the area. Perhaps you should look at crime maps, I use Trulia, and visit if you can.

Old 02-22-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
New Orleans is a block by block city as well.

Are you referring to the Lafitte Projects redevelopment? I don't know if there's an official name. http://faubourglafitte.com/

It's in a upcoming area, especially along the Lafitte Greenway, but there's still high crime in the area. Perhaps you should look at crime maps, I use Trulia, and visit if you can.
Yeh thats it...I was looking on trulia and spot crime and that area is still pretty hot!...so im thinking garden district and lower garden district...I was interested in bywater and marigny but its hot over there too! red red red! lol

what part did you live in?

Old 02-22-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Yeh thats it...I was looking on trulia and spot crime and that area is still pretty hot!...so im thinking garden district and lower garden district...I was interested in bywater and marigny but its hot over there too! red red red! lol

what part did you live in?
Bywater and Marigny are really great neighborhoods but they do still have too much crime. It's still expensive as hell to live there though, which is crazy.

I actually never lived in New Orleans, just spent countless hours there.
If you mean Houston, then Voss @ Westheimer, Buffalo Speedway @ south loop, and for a while near Greenspoint.

Old 02-22-2016, 05:42 PM

860 posts, read 1,193,819 times
Maybe this sounds crazy, but I think crime is pretty low down here considering it takes NOPD hours to respond to a crime. If I were a criminal down here I wouldn't have a care in the world. I had an accident in the CBD a couple weeks ago at 1:00 and by 5:00 the police still hadn't shown up. We finally just exchanged info and left. This is a great city, and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else, but it has some problems. Ironically, there was a story in the local paper about police response times shortly after my accident. I hope I don't come across as negative, because I love this city, but it's far from other cities when it comes to normal city services.

Old 02-22-2016, 05:52 PM

That story made national news. Slowest response time in the country. City services is one thing I hate about New Orleans.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:
That story made national news. Slowest response time in the country. City services is one thing I hate about New Orleans.
Yeah, it's pretty sad, and I hate that too, but there are so many things I love about this city. I've said it before, the good outweighs the bad.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norb123 View Post
Yeah, it's pretty sad, and I hate that too, but there are so many things I love about this city. I've said it before, the good outweighs the bad.
Thats what I am hoping...Ive travelled there many times over the years and its easily one of my favorite cities...thats why I am taking a job there for a year...just need to maneuver through the rental process..

Old 02-22-2016, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Thats what I am hoping...Ive travelled there many times over the years and its easily one of my favorite cities...thats why I am taking a job there for a year...just need to maneuver through the rental process..
If it makes you feel any better, I've been here for a total of over 10 years and I've never been a victim of a crime. There is no other city like this. After you live here, you probably won't be satisfied with any other city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans