Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2013, 09:22 PM

620 posts, read 1,069,178 times

Advertisements

I was wandering around the side streets and was amazed on how unique and detailed these homes were.

They are soo nice and quaint ..sorry but we do not see this in NYC !!

They have all these veneer things on the windows and you could never see inside.

Do these people ever open the windows for some fresh air ??

What kind of people live in these houses ???

How much would rent be... I would ask somone but no one was outside !! Lol

Also drove around Bywater and the houses are sooo unique .. Wow

Are these hipsters ??? Historically who lived in bywater and fq ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 09:42 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,174,242 times
Veneer?

Regular people live in these houses. I'm not sure if you are talking about the Quarter or 9th ward.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:55 PM

620 posts, read 1,069,178 times
Ummm...it clearly says french quarter ...

Old 09-09-2013, 01:37 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,119,584 times
When I was in college back in the dark ages one of my suite mate's boyfriend's family lived in the French Quarter. They probably still do since the family had lived in NOLA since the early French settlers.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
Ummm...it clearly says french quarter ...
There aren't many detached homes in the Quarter so I was just wondering if you had it confused for the Marigny, then you mentioned Bywater.

And clearly regular people live there, and yes they do open windows. Rent in the Quarter for a studio starts at $1000 at the cheapest.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:33 PM

640 posts, read 1,221,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
I was wandering around the side streets and was amazed on how unique and detailed these homes were.

They are soo nice and quaint ..sorry but we do not see this in NYC !!

They have all these veneer things on the windows and you could never see inside.

Do these people ever open the windows for some fresh air ??

What kind of people live in these houses ???

How much would rent be... I would ask somone but no one was outside !! Lol

Also drove around Bywater and the houses are sooo unique .. Wow

Are these hipsters ??? Historically who lived in bywater and fq ???
If you were in the city recently, then you should know that no one opens their windows in the summer. That wouldn't be very comfortable.

Generally, the FQ is a mix of rich people, second home owners, and young professionals, etc. Some of the buildings are carved into many small apartments while some are larger condos, and some are grand mansions. As far as I know off the top of my head, rents vary a lot. If it's a large condo or space the rent can be up to 3000 dollars a month. If it is a tiny studio/apt it could be 800 dollars a month. It really depends on the size.

The Bywater is mostly hipsters but also a bunch of educated "creative yuppie" types. It's rapidly changing as most hipsters and artists are being priced out and now moving to nearby St. Roch, 7th Ward, and Treme.
Historically, the FQ has been the center of the city and has had sometimes been home to the Creole elite and their slaves, and at times been the city's Italian immigrant district. In the 1920s the FQ was similar to Montmarte in Paris with many artists. An answer to that question could be an entire book really.

As for the Bywater, it was historically home to many different immigrant groups like Germans, Italians, Central European, mixed in with Creoles and African Americans. Always has been very diverse until Suburbanization.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:14 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,681,587 times
The FQ had Brangelina as residents for a while, also Helen Mirren amd her director hiusband. Not sure who is still there.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
The FQ had Brangelina as residents for a while, also Helen Mirren amd her director hiusband. Not sure who is still there.
Solange Knowles (Beyonce's sister) now lives in the Marigny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans