Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city does New Orleans share the most history with?
Haiti 31 59.62%
Paris 9 17.31%
Cuba 9 17.31%
Houston 13 25.00%
Atlanta 4 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 06:05 PM

13 posts, read 22,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Please pinpoint the falsehood in anything I've said. You're doing nothing but flaming.

Having your city heavily settled by people from these cities/nations almost 200 years ago is not the same thing as having a true shared history with them. If you're not apt enough to understand that, then fine, but don't be a child about it. Adults don't pick on people simply because they disagree.

Haiti and Cuba have a shared history with the rest of the Caribbean. Paris shares its history with France. I recognize these facts, but I suppose I can't stop New Orleanians from deluding themselves into claiming how "unlike" the rest of the South they are.

Exactly, seems to me people like to look backwards here instead of forwards. That to me is the definition of a "country mindset", even if it does stem from intense pride.

To everyone else in the country New Orleans is very much apart of the South and everything that goes along with it- plantation culture, segregation, and Jim Crow just to name a few.

And if memory serves me correct wasn't the landmark 1896 Supreme Court Case Plessy vs. Ferguson started in New Orleans? And wasn't that pretty much the blueprint for the entire separate but equal mindset that pervaded throughout most of the south?

What is more southern than Jim Crow? That is about as southern as it gets TBH, and the Separate but Equal doctrine was basically started in New Orleans. Perhaps someone can advise me on how New Orleans is not Southern.

And then compare it with cities like Tampa and Atlanta who had Jim Crow laws on the books but did not really enforce them because civic leaders at the time saw the value of the dollar over segregation. So those cities are southern even though even then they basically had a more progressive mindset, and fast forward to today and both cities are arguably in a better position than New Orleans. Seems to me like too many people are drinking the Kool Aid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 06:42 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinPedroia'sBeard View Post
Exactly, seems to me people like to look backwards here instead of forwards. That to me is the definition of a "country mindset", even if it does stem from intense pride.

To everyone else in the country New Orleans is very much apart of the South and everything that goes along with it- plantation culture, segregation, and Jim Crow just to name a few.

And if memory serves me correct wasn't the landmark 1896 Supreme Court Case Plessy vs. Ferguson started in New Orleans? And wasn't that pretty much the blueprint for the entire separate but equal mindset that pervaded throughout most of the south?

What is more southern than Jim Crow? That is about as southern as it gets TBH, and the Separate but Equal doctrine was basically started in New Orleans. Perhaps someone can advise me on how New Orleans is not Southern.

And then compare it with cities like Tampa and Atlanta who had Jim Crow laws on the books but did not really enforce them because civic leaders at the time saw the value of the dollar over segregation. So those cities are southern even though even then they basically had a more progressive mindset, and fast forward to today and both cities are arguably in a better position than New Orleans. Seems to me like too many people are drinking the Kool Aid
Who said New Orleans wasn't southern? New Orleans has stronger historical ties to each of those countries than many southern cities. Many of the cities were merely small towns in New Orleans' heyday. In 1860, Baton Rouge had only 5k to New Orleans' 168k, Jackson, MS only 3k, Shreveport only 2k, Houston a mere 5k, Dallas was <1k, Atlanta at 10k, Montgomery at 9k, Birmingham at 3k in 1880 but up to over 300k in 1950, and finally Mobile was at 30k. During those years, there weren't any major cities close to New Orleans for them to share much history. It was the largest port of immigration in the south and second only to New York. It drove the international slave trade for the south, was home to the largest chinatown in the south, still home to the largest population of Sicilians outside of Sicily. The only American city that comes close is Mobile and even that is a far cry.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:56 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Who said New Orleans wasn't southern? New Orleans has stronger historical ties to each of those countries than many southern cities. Many of the cities were merely small towns in New Orleans' heyday. In 1860, Baton Rouge had only 5k to New Orleans' 168k, Jackson, MS only 3k, Shreveport only 2k, Houston a mere 5k, Dallas was <1k, Atlanta at 10k, Montgomery at 9k, Birmingham at 3k in 1880 but up to over 300k in 1950, and finally Mobile was at 30k. During those years, there weren't any major cities close to New Orleans for them to share much history. It was the largest port of immigration in the south and second only to New York. It drove the international slave trade for the south, was home to the largest chinatown in the south, still home to the largest population of Sicilians outside of Sicily. The only American city that comes close is Mobile and even that is a far cry.
There was also migration between New Orleans and Cuba, as well as between New Orleans and Honduras. There is a statue of Cuban revolutionary Jose Marti in New Orleans.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:58 PM

New Orleans' proximity to the Caribbean/Latin America has also played a part in the coffee culture. This video explains some things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpPHF3qYFD8

Old 11-26-2013, 01:59 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,946,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There was also migration between New Orleans and Cuba, as well as between New Orleans and Honduras. There is a statue of Cuban revolutionary Jose Marti in New Orleans.
Yep. That's just a block or so from my house. Also, the current Cuban flag was first flown over Poydras St.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
Yep. That's just a block or so from my house. Also, the current Cuban flag was first flown over Poydras St.
Cuba and New Orleans also did alot of business together before the 1959 revolution. Cuba was the largest trading part for New Orleans.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:15 PM

With both Spanish and French influence, I would say it's a toss up between Havana and Port au Prince. There have been influences from both France and Spain, Cuba and Haiti.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:27 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,323,801 times
New Orleans has heavy French and Spanish colonial and cultural influence. The cultures and peoples of East Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, and West Florida all have and share a series unique interrelated and intertwined and complex cultural heritages and traditions.

Mobile, Alabama is similar to New Orleans, and even some aspects of Mississippi (like Natchez)

Old 11-26-2013, 07:33 PM

A good interview with author and scholar Dr. Gwendolyn Midlo Hall on New Orleans and Louisiana (with information and audio interview link attached)

This woman breaks down the cultural history and synthesis of Louisiana to the core. She also goes into detail about some of the connections to Cuba:

Gwendolyn Midlo Hall &bull; Hip Deep &bull; Afropop Worldwide

Old 11-26-2013, 07:35 PM

LOUISIANA CREOLES SOURCES/LINKS/INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------

... Here is a book entitled "Africans In Colonial Louisiana" authored and written by Gwendolyn Midlo-Hall:

... ... Africans in Colonial Louisiana: The Development of Afro-Creole Culture in ... - Gwendolyn Midlo Hall - Google Books

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Another link to the book:

Africans in Colonial Louisiana: The Development of Afro-Creole Culture in the Eighteenth Century:Amazon:Books

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A political, historical, and cultural timeline and graphs etc showcasing the history and breakdown of the vast Louisiana Territory [proper]

U.S. states L-M

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Louisiana Creoles: Cultural Recovery AND Mixed Race Native American Identity written and authored by Andrew Jolivette

Louisiana Creoles: Cultural Recovery and Mixed-race Native American Identity - Andrew Jolivétte - Google Books

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

LOUISIANA MYTHS: Quadroons & Octoroons written by Christophe Landry:

Louisiana Myths: Quadroons & Octoroons | Kontak

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cajuns & Louisiana Creoles: Really A Difference? by Christophe Landry:

Cajuns & Creoles: Really a difference? | Kontak
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Did Hispañola Create Louisiana culture? written by Christophe Landry

Did Hispañola Create Louisiana culture? | Kontak
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans