Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2013, 09:57 PM

11 posts, read 11,274 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any suggestions for finding a place to live in New Orleans from out of state? I know where I want to be, my price range, and certain criteria., etc. Does anyone know of any realtors or companies that offer a service for those like me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 03:50 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
You can look at CJ Brown or Trulia but many of the rentals are word-of-mouth, posted signs in the yard, or Craigslist. Do you actually know where you want to be? New Orleans is very tricky to navigate and you might not want to be in the area you think you want to be in. We can at least tell you which neighborhoods and blocks to avoid, a realtor might not to keep their interests in mind.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:26 AM

I want to be in Uptown, Carrolton/University, the Garden District, or Lower Garden District. To be exact, I would love to be right off of Magazine St or right near Audubon Park. I know the area pretty well I'm just stressing out about not being able to look at something when needed. It's obviously way more difficult living 2,000 miles away. I have friends and an uncle that lives there I just wouldn't feel right asking them to look at places for me all the time.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:59 AM

Oh ok. That's going to be pretty hard. I would narrow it down to a couple places and then ask someone to go a check them out. I can't imagine someone not doing a favor like that if they are capable.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:59 PM

77 posts, read 158,840 times
i'm in the same boat! Narrow it down to 2 or 3 and ask them to look at just those and pick which is the fits your specifications the best and is the safest. You can always move after the lease is up.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:40 PM

Yea, I'm hoping my uncle will help me out. Fingers crosses. If only I could fly down on an as needed basis, ha

Old 10-14-2013, 07:51 PM

How fast do rentals go down there? Here in Denver it's near impossible. My boyfriend would call 5 places a day and no one would call him back or the property had already been rented. That's why I'm stressing out, I would hate to have viewings set up for a weekend and then come down and they be rented.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:49 PM
ptt

497 posts, read 637,153 times
How fast the rental go? As for my apt in lower garden district within a couple of hours on Craigslist the first person who see the apt would signed the lease on spot. If you see something you like try to see it right away. Those who wait until the weekend never get a good apartment.

Actually, my former tenant rented my place while she was out of the country, only see pictures from email. A brave girl.

Last edited by ptt; 10-14-2013 at 09:00 PM..

Old 10-14-2013, 08:54 PM

They go pretty fast like in any major city, especially in an area like you desire.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:15 PM

I wouldn't be opposed to that if I were 110% comfortable with the area. See, I used to live in Biloxi and I know that city by the back of my hand. I would feel comfortable only seeing pictures because I know it so well. Whereas with New Orleans I know the areas fairly well but not like I do Biloxi. With Biloxi I know block by block and individual streets. New Orleans is a little bit of both but not all there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptt View Post
How fast the rental go? As for my apt in lower garden district within a couple of hours on Craigslist the first person who see the apt would signed the lease on spot. If you see something you like try to see it right away. Those who wait until the weekend never get a good apartment.

Actually, my former tenant rented my place while she was out of the country, only see pictures from email. A brave girl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of: