U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2013, 10:04 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,993,686 times

Advertisements

I'm sure you get the usual "where to stay/what to do" questions as we do over in the Tampa Bay forum, but I haven't seen anything really recent that applies...so I hope you don't mind me starting my own thread with a list of questions from a visitor!

Late 20's couple staying night of 25th and 26th (possibly may come down the 24th?). Leaving Sunday morning for a cruise.

A response to any and all will be apprecia+ed!

1. Since it is our first time to New Orleans and it's never certain we visit again, of course we want to visit the French Quarter/Bourbon Street. Is it possible to stay in that vicinity on a budget? We don't really care about the fancy upgrades but safety is important. In the Tampa Bay area, there are a lot of little hotels that may fly under the radar for a great deal. Looking for something like that!

2. I'm sure this topic comes up a lot due to basic stereotyping...but is safety a real concern or is it just like any other medium-large city tactics to keep up with? I was looking at a map of New Orleans and feel like I've heard some of those neighborhoods mentioned in rap songs lol.

3. Suggestions on a place to eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner! (Remember, on a budget here...cruise and all! $10-12pp for breakfast, $15-20pp for lunch)

4. My girlfriend wants to visit the cemeteries. She heard there are two well known spots to choose from- what are they and how do they differ/stand apart?

5. Back up to Question 1...if staying in the French Quarter is out of our budget or isn't totally necessary, where else should we stay in another area short cab/shuttle ride that is also safe?

6. We like to socialize/party...that is what you guys are good at, right? Any tips regarding do's/don'ts, where to go, where to avoid, average cost of drinks? I don't like large crowds for partying but I will make an exception for this trip. Maybe one night touristy and one night "live like a local"?

7. Open to any and all general suggestions that should be mentioned/remembered when visiting New Orleans...we are excited and looking forward to the trip!

Fun fact: I grew up in SC and was the fullback in high school for a current Saints football player. Who dat?!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 09:15 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,214,819 times
Staying in the Quarter is nice, but not necessary. You'll probably find cheaper hotels in the CBD/Warehouse District. You'll be within walking distance to the Quarter and your ship.

Avoid desolate streets and make sure there are other people around and you'll be fine. I'd recommend staying between Bourbon St. and the river.

It depends on what you're into, but if you want to "live like a local", then you need to get out of the quarter a little bit. Do the obligatory stroll down Bourbon St one night, then move on. Head to Frenchmen if you're interested in live music. If you have time, take the Magazine bus Uptown and walk a little bit of Magazine St. The area from Washington to Louisiana is a good starting point.

St. Louis #1 is the oldest cemetery in the city. It's only one square block on the edge of the quarter, but it houses some famous folks. I'd suggest joining a tour group for this one as the surrounding area is not the best. The tour guides usually know their stuff.

If you're a little more adventurous, take the Canal Streetcar out to Mid-City and walk through the much larger and more impressive cemeteries (the streetcar line is actually called 47-Cemeteries). There are a cluster of cemeteries at Canal St. and City Park Ave. Metairie Cemetery alone is worth the trip. When you get off the streetcar, just walk a block or so under the expressway to the other side. The most elaborate tombs in the city are on this picturesque plot of land. Check it out on Google Maps. I live close by and the area is quite safe.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:21 PM

4,396 posts, read 4,683,548 times
3. For breakfast, we like the following places:
New Orleans Restaurant | French Quarter Seafood Restaurants | Catering | Oceanagrill.com - gator omelet
Cafe Beignet | New Orleans Coffee & Beignets - The beignets are better than Cafe Du Monde, it's not as busy and their resident cat will stop by and visit while you eat.
The Gumbo Pot in Jax Brewery - the lost bread - http://goo.gl/maps/XkMqQ

For lunch:
Central Grocery - muffaletta - http://goo.gl/maps/VjwGv
The Market Cafe - gumbo - http://goo.gl/maps/9NlvF
World Famous N'awlins - I haven't found anything I don't like
Felix's Restaurant and Oyster Bar HOME - New Orleans, LA - po-boy and the bayou sampler

Dinner:
New Orleans Restaurant | French Quarter Seafood Restaurants | Catering | Oceanagrill.com - look who's back on the list. I've eaten there 3 times in a day.
Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans - New Orleans, LA - French Quarter hotel - Only been there once but I sampled a little from the other 5 people at the table and it was all great

4. It's a little expensive but take a carriage tour to the cemetery. If you have a chance, ask for Howie. He's former NOPD and a former history professor at UNO. Plus he's funny.

5. The Balcony Music Club is a little more laid back. http://goo.gl/maps/f2bkg
Krazy Korner rocks with Dwayne Dopsie and the Zydeco Hellraisers. dwayne dopsie & the zydeco hellraisers at Krazy Korner, Bourbon St, New Orleans - YouTube
Voodoo Vibe has Shelton Sonnier and the Voodoo Zydeco. Shelton was in Dwayne's band until last year.
Krazy Korner also has a band playing Mo-Th that includes the best washboard player in the world. He was also in Dwayne's band at one point. Sickest washboard solo ever: Dwayne Dopsie & The Zydeco Hellraisers - Alex MacDonald - YouTube
Fat Catz may still have a great rock cover band. You will hear every rock cover band down there play some Journey but these guys take it up a notch. You will get Poison, Motley Crue and Bon Jovi as well as many other covers from artists of that era. Later in the evening, they will take even heavier requests. My wife loves to get them to play Alice In Chains and Metalica. Donkey Punch Band - YouTube This isn't Fat Catz, but the guy on guitar (Crank Sinatra) is in the other band along with the drummer. They have a great singer that is there when he isn't touring with the NOLA band Trouble.

These are all touristy things and that's what my wife and I like to do down there. Food, drink and music along with seeing the sights. Our time down there will overlap so if you see a bald guy next to a brunette with curly hair at the end of the bar at Krazy Korner, that's us. And the guy with the long hair is Frank. He's a regular.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:56 PM

Thanks for all of the responses so far- I have been monitoring this thread since I started and doing a lot of Yelping and TripAdvisor research along the way.

We still haven't booked a place to stay yet but should take care of that by tomorrow evening.

Any more input is certainly appreciated!

Old 10-22-2013, 09:53 AM

4,396 posts, read 4,683,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
Thanks for all of the responses so far- I have been monitoring this thread since I started and doing a lot of Yelping and TripAdvisor research along the way.

We still haven't booked a place to stay yet but should take care of that by tomorrow evening.

Any more input is certainly appreciated!
That's not good. It's Halloween, the Krewe of Boo parade in the Quarter - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Krewe...o/139239782761 and the Saints play the Bills on Sunday. We booked our trip back in March.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
That's not good. It's Halloween, the Krewe of Boo parade in the Quarter - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Krewe...o/139239782761 and the Saints play the Bills on Sunday. We booked our trip back in March.
We actually lucked up big time from a family friend and will be staying in the French Quarter for $75/night on Ursaline Ave.

Leaving Tampa at 9am tomorrow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans