U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 08:31 AM

32 posts, read 62,635 times

Advertisements

HI
I am considering purchasing a house within a few blocks of the intersection of carrollton and s clairborne (actually on s clairborne) for my single daughter to live in after she gets out of school. She is not interested in having a car and prefers to get around on a bike or mass trans. Can anyone tell me about the safety of that specific part of west carrollton area as well as what the real estate climate is like (its a fixer upper that i would help work on) in that part.
It seems what i have read on safety and real estate areas one cant even rely on what is said about a specific part of the city (ie garden district, lower garden district, midcity etc) and rather that within each area there are pockets of crime and less than desirable real estate to consider owning.

any replies are much appreciated
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 09:07 AM

1,087 posts, read 2,107,136 times
The area around that intersection is decent and reasonably safe, especially on the downriver side of Carrollton. On the upriver side, after a block or two, it starts to go downhill. There is good transit access right there as the Claiborne and Tulane buses run frequently and the St. Charles Streetcar runs just about 24/7. That's a pretty solid neighborhood in which to buy. That stretch of Claiborne from Carrollton down to Jefferson is prime real estate.

As far as crime, there are definitely worse areas. Here is a robbery/homicide map of the last 6 months:

Old 10-17-2013, 11:25 AM

thanks for replying rburnett..great map resource!

could you clarifiy the upriver/downriver side of carrollton for me so I can be certain? downriver side of carrollton is towards the superdome correct?

thanks again
Gary

Old 10-17-2013, 11:30 AM

Yes, the river flows from Carrollton, around Audubon Park, and down to the French Quarter.

Palmer Park is on the uptown/riverside of the Carrollton/Claiborne intersection.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:38 AM

darn! you said a block or two from carrollton is ok...so 3-4 is too many huh? (8400 block) Unless I stared my own neighborhood watch program?

Old 10-17-2013, 11:42 AM

and what is that monstrocity a little further upriver on s clairborne .....a cesspool?

Old 10-17-2013, 11:59 AM

I think you're good. It's actually not bad, crime wise, as you can see from the map. The few blocks on the river side of Claiborne between Palmer Park and Leonidas are actually really nice and well kept. Across Claiborne (on the LAKE side), it's not quite as pretty and well kept. The blocks closer to Carrollton are better (Dublin, Dante, Cambronne). The further you get from Carrollton (going upriver) the worse it gets.

That's another thing about New Orleans, just because a neighborhood looks run down, doesn't mean there's a lot of crime (and vice versa).

You just want to avoid that pocket where you see those 3 homicides closer to the river, as well as back towards Earhart and beyond.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWish View Post
and what is that monstrocity a little further upriver on s clairborne .....a cesspool?
That's the city's water treatment plant.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:07 PM

I think I am good now...Thanks a bunch rburnett..your posts are quite informative and helpful!

Old 10-17-2013, 12:27 PM

OK...I was wrong about being all set. Do you think that part of S claireborne flooded during Katrina or subsequently? the house i looked at was gutted on the ground floor and needed work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans