U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2013, 09:08 AM

17 posts, read 28,475 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Slidell and am very familiar with the areas/neighborhoods that flood w/ TS/hurricanes. We are moving to the Mandeville, Madisonville, Covington area, and I don't want an area that floods. I figure anything close to the lake has a good chance of flooding. Is everything north of I 12 safe? I am looking in a neighborhood south of I 12, Grand Oaks, just north of 22 and east of 1085. Is this an area that typically floods?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 09:15 PM

105 posts, read 213,301 times
Here's a good site when you can look at if a home is in a flood zone or not. If it's not in flood zone, there should be no concern for flooding. You will have to create an account.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:21 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,999,648 times
Here is what happened during Katrina in 2005:
http://www.fema.gov/pdf/hazard/flood...a_st_index.pdf

If you're worried about storm surge, then I would avoid those areas in yellow.

River flooding is a different story though, and can happen at any time. Check the fema flood maps for that particular area. Elevation relative to the nearest river is key.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:10 PM

1 posts, read 8,328 times
Flooding mostly occurs by the water sources as well as low spots...Near the lakefront in Mandeville, riverfront in Madisonville, areas along the Tchefuncte River..

Old 02-03-2014, 02:52 PM

9,216 posts, read 3,811,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
Here is what happened during Katrina in 2005:
http://www.fema.gov/pdf/hazard/flood...a_st_index.pdf

If you're worried about storm surge, then I would avoid those areas in yellow.

River flooding is a different story though, and can happen at any time. Check the fema flood maps for that particular area. Elevation relative to the nearest river is key.
Great map, but there's zero chance that those currently living in that zone are packing up and leaving.
95% of St. Tammany parish's population lives in the yellow area. And new construction in Oak Harbor/Treasure Isle, Carr Drive,
are booming with $Million dollar homes.
We all know the potential risks, but want to live on or near the water anyway.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:28 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,999,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
95% of St. Tammany parish's population lives in the yellow area. And new construction in Oak Harbor/Treasure
50% would be closer to the truth. The greater Slidell area only has around 90k out of a total parish population of around 233k. All of the neighborhoods and rural land north of old Mandeville were all high and dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans