U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 07:05 PM

20 posts, read 135,605 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.
I'm contemplating taking a job as a teacher through Teach for America in New Orleans. I would have to sign a 2 year contract so if I hate it, I can't leave. I would be teaching in low low low income areas, so I'd probably be in the less desirable areas. Is it a move worth making? Is the city any better now after the hurricane? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
-Teacher in need!
Rate this post positively

Old 11-24-2007, 07:14 PM

1,127 posts, read 4,824,915 times
Hello Phree. You should go to the education forum on nola dot com. There are lots of NOLA teachers who are willing to help you out with your questions. Good luck with your decision!

Old 11-24-2007, 11:59 PM

595 posts, read 2,258,038 times
Its likely better if it's an elementary school where you might make a difference.

Middle School or High School you might get killed (if its a really bad school).

The difference people can make in their student lives comes from getting them young. It's difficult to turn around a 15 year old who may be a gang member.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampgrrl View Post
Its likely better if it's an elementary school where you might make a difference.

Middle School or High School you might get killed (if its a really bad school).

The difference people can make in their student lives comes from getting them young. It's difficult to turn around a 15 year old who may be a gang member.
Having taught in Orleans for several years, I can testify that even elementary schools can be dangerous. It's not only the students; some of the parents I have come across will threaten you with violence over a grade, a detention, etc. I quit staying late after one parent practically kicked down my door and punched a window because I took a magazine, (with articles on how to pleasure your man), from a her daughter, (the magazine was returned to the student at the end of the day).

Old 11-25-2007, 03:44 PM

21 posts, read 75,895 times
the low low income areas of new orleans are some of the most dangerous in the country ... you can excercise street smarts ... but some areas are under " turf protection " by different gangs ... so just being in the wrong place at the wrong time can result in VERY bad things happening

Old 11-25-2007, 04:05 PM

hmmm...
So gangs are a big problem in the city? In California its mostly gang members killing other gang members...not really bystanders. In your opinion, if I was at school in the "protected areas" during daylight hours, and home (or elsewhere) at night, could I avoid being in the "wrong place at the wrong time"? Will trouble find me if I don't go looking for it?
thanks for the help everyone!

Old 11-26-2007, 02:49 AM

166 posts, read 594,386 times
Default Do more research on safety, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phree_spirit View Post
hmmm...
So gangs are a big problem in the city? In California its mostly gang members killing other gang members...not really bystanders. In your opinion, if I was at school in the "protected areas" during daylight hours, and home (or elsewhere) at night, could I avoid being in the "wrong place at the wrong time"? Will trouble find me if I don't go looking for it?
thanks for the help everyone!
I moved down to NOLA without having a clue of what part of town was what. I moved into a double near the 9th ward - not even ever having HEARD of the 9th ward before - and on my third day there I walked (stupidly) home from work to see my neighbor from two houses down dead in the middle of the street. A crowd of other neighbors were hanging around waiting for something to happen, but I never heard police sirens rushing by - in fact when they showed up some time later they didn't have sirens on at all. Then again, I lived in this neighborhood for 9 months and never, ever had a single problem. The local "grocery" store down the street was a daily stop - they loved me there. A lot of my neighbors were on the stoop drinking when I left for work and on the stoop drinking when I came back from work - they loved me. I biked in the dark at 4 am from this neighborhood up to the arts warehouse district and never had a problem. My roommate did. He was robbed at gunpoint, and they took his ID just to scare the hell out of him. So I think it all comes down to luck in these areas, plain and simple. I loved NOLA when I was there, and hope that good teachers aren't scared off before they even give this great city a chance.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:08 PM

thanks for all the helpful information, everyone!

Old 12-04-2007, 01:36 PM

Phree, the gangs, (drug dealers), here are not like in CA. Most of the murders committed here are drug dealers fighting over turf. No one is particularly worried about wrong "colors," they are just worried about someone stealing their customers and will fight to the death for the money. These people won't see you as a threat and won't be bothered with you because you will neither contribute nor take away from their "business." So I wouldn't be too concerned about the gang thing.

I also don't want to scare you away from coming here. Yes, it can be dangerous, but if you choose to teach here be aware that you will become a member of the school community. The students and their parents for the most part will honor your position in the begining and then it will be up to you to earn their respect. While I've had some of the nuttiest parents and most violent children, I have also had the biggest sweetheart parents and some of the most loyal and loving students. If you can handle daily drama, the ocassional big drama, and the once in a blue moon makes the evening news drama, the rewards are great. I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

As far as trouble finding you, Not Iowa's accounting is pretty accurate. I've known people who have lived in Bywater their whole lives and have never had trouble, but a friend was mugged on the first day of her move there. It's a roll of the dice in some areas. Consult a realtor for safe neighborhoods in which to live. Despite the national news reputation, New Orleans does have neighborhoods that are safe.

Last edited by Drouzin; 12-04-2007 at 01:58 PM..

Old 12-04-2007, 01:53 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,213,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
Despite the national news reputation, New Orleans does have neighborhoods that are safe.
And New Orleans is one of those cities where the safe/unsafe areas are very specific - sometimes down to the street block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans