Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 01:04 PM

15 posts, read 25,212 times

Advertisements

I am 18 and I am looking in to moving to New Orleans. I want as much as information as possible.
What is the crime like? Are there areas I should stay away from? How are the people?
What is the safest part of New Orleans to live in crime wise and the safest area from hurricanes and floods? If possible can you give me names of streets and apartments that are the safest from both crime and flood? Feel free to give me as much realistic answer and information as possible. It would be great if I got my answer from people who live or have live in New Orleans. Thank you for answering!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 01:10 PM

130 posts, read 291,094 times
I like New Orleans and have some relatives who live there. But my suggestion is to contact people who might have relevant information for you. If you are going to attend school contact the admissions or student housing offices, if you are moving for a job call the HR department or if you have it your new supervisor or manager. Very often these people would be a great source of information. Also try this web link Make New Orleans Home | New Orleans, La - Driver's License

Old 12-17-2013, 01:20 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,246,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie1397 View Post
I am 18 and I am looking in to moving to New Orleans. I want as much as information as possible.
What is the crime like? Are there areas I should stay away from? How are the people?
What is the safest part of New Orleans to live in crime wise and the safest area from hurricanes and floods? If possible can you give me names of streets and apartments that are the safest from both crime and flood? Feel free to give me as much realistic answer and information as possible. It would be great if I got my answer from people who live or have live in New Orleans. Thank you for answering!
Wrong forum. But be prepared when they see this they are not going to be very pleased. They go crazy if you mention something about crime and hurricanes.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:07 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,083,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie1397 View Post
I live in New Orleans. Stay away from the lower 9th ward, Hollygrove, and Marrero on the Westbank. No need to worry about hurricanes here any more than you'd worry about earthquakes in California.

Safest areas would be Lakeview, Metairie, Lower Garden District, Uptown/Carrollton. The rest of the Eastbank is still largely in repair mode.

Look for apartments off St Charles, Magazine Street, Freret Street, Carrollton, and off General De Gaulle in Algiers. I'm sure several others will mention some areas I didnt mention.

Whatever you do, don't make the awful mistake of paying attention to "whitless" information from people who don't live here

Old 12-17-2013, 11:22 PM

Thank you so much for all of that good information it really helped me out. So many people have told me to stay away from New Orleans. But its one of my favorite places in the world and I really appreciate the information you have given me thank you so much. I am so grateful.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:49 AM

643 posts, read 977,405 times
There are decent parts of East new orleans, algiers, lakeview, lake vista, gentilly, garden district you can look to....do your homework on the matter

Old 12-18-2013, 08:32 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,339,431 times
How many threads are we going to have on the same topic?

Old 12-18-2013, 10:18 AM

1,901 posts, read 3,083,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
How many threads are we going to have on the same topic?
With the heavy influx of people moving here, I expect to answer these questions alot. People are curious about aspects of living in New Orleans and I can understand not wanting to look up old information regarding a rapidly changing city like this one.

Though I understand your frustration as well. This same poster has started 4 threads asking the same question, but eh...so what.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:39 AM

I know I have posted more then once. But I have so many question. I have a little sister who depend on me and a fiancé. So I wanted to find out as much as possible before I move them across the state. I am sorry if it bugged you.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:10 PM

643 posts, read 977,405 times
I don't mind the questions even if I have heard them asked before...I think I speak for most of us saying that we like helping new comers to our city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans