Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2013, 09:58 PM

5 posts, read 10,168 times

Advertisements

I work in higher education and have been offered a position at one of the state universities in NOLA. We have lived in Lafayette for nearly 12 years and I used to work full-time here, but stepped down in order to (mostly) finish my PhD. I'm an "alt ac" person meaning that my goal is to continue my career in administration instead of going on faculty. There are unfortunately no options or openings for me here in Lafayette any more... and the position in NOLA was offered on the spot, which is rare in higher ed. But I know that a move to NOLA isn't without its problems. For example, enrolling my 8th grader in a non-RSD school mid-year is almost impossible. We have a bunch of cats which we wouldn't be able to move until we purchased a home or found an extremely laid back or cat-friendly landlord (we'd have to sell our home in Lafayette first as well). My husband's company occasionally has openings in NOLA but doesn't currently. So I'd be looking at living only part-time in NOLA for the spring semester and then moving the whole family possibly over the summer.

So, my questions are...
--what are some good options for renting a room or finding a short-term lease?
--anything in the UNO/SUNO area?
--how the heck can I enroll my niece in school (she's with us under a provisional custody agreement, which Orleans Parish accepts but not most of the surrounding parishes)?
--is this worth it? I'm 50 and I'm afraid that if I let this go I won't have many more opportunities to restart my higher ed career... but I also don't want to burn up my entire salary trying to make this work.

Any suggestions or comments welcome. I have 'till the first to tell them my decision. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 06:32 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,085,425 times
Quote:
So, my questions are...
--what are some good options for renting a room or finding a short-term lease?
[Do a search on Craiglist for rental properties.]

Quote:
--anything in the UNO/SUNO area?
[UNO is in Gentilly, which is a decent area, but is vastly building. I'd recommend Columbia Parc Apartments]

Quote:
--how the heck can I enroll my niece in school (she's with us under a provisional custody agreement, which Orleans Parish accepts but not most of the surrounding parishes)?
[My wife works for Orleans Parish School Board. How old is your neice?]

Quote:
--is this worth it? I'm 50 and I'm afraid that if I let this go I won't have many more opportunities to restart my higher ed career... but I also don't want to burn up my entire salary trying to make this work.
[I don't know much about the COL in Lafayette, but New Orleans is a pretty affordable city. I wouldn't worry about "burning up your entire salary" unless you do the long-term tourist thing and party on Bourbon every night for the time you're here. But something tells me that at 50, you're well past that phase in life. Yes, I think its well worth it.]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans