U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 11:35 PM

797 posts, read 1,233,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I think it has to do with something about sea level, maybe the ground is not too stable. Cemeteries have above ground plots because of the sea level. Maybe, I am totally wrong, but New Orleans is below sea level (I'm not sure). I have to research this later at some point. Interesting question. The city may also just hate tall buildings because it worries that they clash with the historical beauty of the older buildings.
But there are many other high-rises in New Orleans and the ground stability problems have been solved. Some reasons why the cemeteries are above ground is due to it being popular in France and Spain and a high water table (not necessarily because of below sea level since many cemeteries are above sea level). There are also below ground cemeteries as well. I believe around half of New Orleans is at or above sea level. I think the main problem with high-rises is people believe they are out of scale with their neighborhoods.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 08:37 AM

640 posts, read 710,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
But there are many other high-rises in New Orleans and the ground stability problems have been solved. Some reasons why the cemeteries are above ground is due to it being popular in France and Spain and a high water table (not necessarily because of below sea level since many cemeteries are above sea level). There are also below ground cemeteries as well. I believe around half of New Orleans is at or above sea level. I think the main problem with high-rises is people believe they are out of scale with their neighborhoods.

So if Trump is proposed again comes up again do we say no? If a fortune 500 company decides they want to move to New Orleans and want to build a highrise for there business do we say no? We better NOT!!

Old 01-10-2014, 08:59 AM

14,588 posts, read 21,172,949 times
Quote:
There have been quite a few older buildings that have been renovated into apartments/condos. Plus 930 Poydras was completed in 2010 and is apartments. I think there is a lot of demand for more units and there are still plans to build some high-rises.

--------------------

It seems many residents freak out anytime a high-rise is proposed in neighborhoods that are not the CBD like the people complaining in the Warehouse District. I think the Warehouse District seems like a great neighborhood for high-rises. With Tracage, I've heard that it is just a few neighboring residents with money that are complaining about their views being taken away.
Look at this one complaining guy, pretty ridiculous. Proposed Tracage apartment building in Warehouse District sparks a fight again | NOLA.com
I was thinking more of the 15+ story buildings like in Houston. The Warehouse district is a good area but man is that building hideous.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon504 View Post
So if Trump is proposed again comes up again do we say no? If a fortune 500 company decides they want to move to New Orleans and want to build a highrise for there business do we say no? We better NOT!!
As long as the building is in the CBD, the developers will get a lot less complaints and it probably will be built. Of course hopefully we get a real world example of this where the building actually gets built and the finances are all in order and the developers stick with their proposals (other reasons why many proposed buildings aren't actually constructed).

Old 01-10-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I was thinking more of the 15+ story buildings like in Houston. The Warehouse district is a good area but man is that building hideous.
Well 930 Poydras is 21 floors and most of the other renovated older buildings I was mentioning are 15+ stories as well like Saratoga, Hibernia, Gravier Place (14 stories), 925 Common (14 stories), One River Place (14 stories), and 200 Carondelet. Then there are other 15+ story buildings that I think are still being worked on like 1100 Tulane, 225 Baronne, 100 Elk/Elk Place, Kailas Towers/210 Baronne. Plus I think the old World Trade Center building will supposedly have apartments. Then there is the Maritime Building and 234 Loyola which are about 11 and 10 stories and 625 St. Charles at 12 stories. There are also a few more residential high-rises in other parts of the city.

As for Tracage its not the prettiest building in the world but I don't mind it that much.

Last edited by Jimbo_1; 01-10-2014 at 11:24 AM..

Old 01-10-2014, 11:20 AM

1,891 posts, read 2,557,241 times
Now I'm upset. I mean I was elated to hear about the Tracage finally coming through, only to open the link from Nola.com and discover the ugliest little building I've seen in a very long time. I can't help but feel that they could've done better in their design concept. Why is New Orleans always played to the left like this???

...that sucks

Old 01-10-2014, 11:34 AM

14,588 posts, read 21,172,949 times
Quote:
Well 930 Poydras is 21 floors and most of the other renovated older buildings I was mentioning are 15+ stories as well like Saratoga, Hibernia, Gravier Place (14 stories), 925 Common (14 stories), One River Place (14 stories), and 200 Carondelet. Then there are other 15+ story buildings that I think are still being worked on like 1100 Tulane, 225 Baronne, 100 Elk/Elk Place, Kailas Towers/210 Baronne. Plus I think the old World Trade Center building will supposedly have apartments. Then there is the Maritime Building and 234 Loyola which are about 11 and 10 stories and 625 St. Charles at 12 stories. There are also a few more residential high-rises in other parts of the city.

As for Tracage its not the prettiest building in the world but I don't mind it that much.
The Hibernia has residential? I don't think I knew that. The WTC is supposed to have apartments.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
The Hibernia has residential? I don't think I knew that. The WTC is supposed to have apartments.
Hibernia Tower Apartment Rentals

Old 01-10-2014, 12:09 PM

640 posts, read 710,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
Now I'm upset. I mean I was elated to hear about the Tracage finally coming through, only to open the link from Nola.com and discover the ugliest little building I've seen in a very long time. I can't help but feel that they could've done better in their design concept. Why is New Orleans always played to the left like this???

...that sucks
While the design is OK but I do agree it could have been better but as I've stated in the past any OK developements or better than NO developments. The latest Tracage that was approved is 16 stories which is differnet from the original designs of 40 stories then 24 stories. Crazy huh?

Old 01-10-2014, 01:04 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,557,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon504 View Post
While the design is OK but I do agree it could have been better but as I've stated in the past any OK developements or better than NO developments. The latest Tracage that was approved is 16 stories which is differnet from the original designs of 40 stories then 24 stories. Crazy huh?
Yep. I hope I'm wrong, but $55 Million for a 16 story, retro Miami-esque looking condominium is just a tad bit disappointing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or