Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2013, 04:06 PM

279 posts, read 588,561 times

Advertisements

A trip in August made me think sweltering heat and that perhaps we'd want a pool. But I keep reading threads where people say you won't spend time in it and it won't cool you off. Should I stop limiting myself to only hotels with pools then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 08:11 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,267,652 times
I think it is all about what you want. If you have kids, you might want a late afternoon or evening swim time. We always stay where there is a pool, no matter the temps.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:42 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,887,018 times
I agree that it just depends on what type of trip you want. If you have kids and are looking for a slow-paced vacation, then sure a pool is important (but then I question if you would not be better off going to the beach or something).

If you want to see the sights, eat, drink, listen to music, etc then I don't know if you would have the time or interest in a pool. I have visited New Orleans over a dozen times and I have never gone swimming once (although a few of the places I have stayed have had pools).

Old 01-03-2014, 06:18 PM

151 posts, read 289,956 times
I wouldn't bother. In winter it's way too cold to use a pool and in the summer the humidity is so high that it won't cool you off anyway.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:15 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,069,299 times
I won't stay anywhere without an indoor pool, preferably; but will accept an outdoor pool if we are travelling during pool time. We had a very nice hotel in NOLA with a rooftop outdoor pool last April - and yes we used it. A pool is not only for cooling off, it is also for relaxing tired, achy muscles.

Additionally, there are 2 seasons besides winter and summer. I've also never not found a pool cooling when the humidity is high so for me, the only time one doesn't need a pool is winter.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:31 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,098,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
I agree that it just depends on what type of trip you want. If you have kids and are looking for a slow-paced vacation, then sure a pool is important (but then I question if you would not be better off going to the beach or something).

If you want to see the sights, eat, drink, listen to music, etc then I don't know if you would have the time or interest in a pool. I have visited New Orleans over a dozen times and I have never gone swimming once (although a few of the places I have stayed have had pools).

+1

I guess my wife and I are wired differently. As many times as we've stayed in New Orleans, we've never wanted to use the hotel pool. There's too much to see and do in the city to spend time doing something we could do any time at home.
To me that would be like going to Key West and using the hotel pool.
For Mardi Gras, we stay at the Westin Canal Place (with pool on the roof!). A great location to see the parades AND zoom back and forth to our room to use the bathroom. Not to mention the breathtaking glass-wall lobby is on the 10th floor.
For other nights we stay at the Royal Sonesta in the Quarter--the best location in the city hands down if you ask me. And their pool is off the lobby.
Welcome to New Orleans and enjoy yourselves whatever you do.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:04 PM

41 posts, read 52,002 times
Last time we were in New Orleans we spent every morning waking up with our coffee and baileys up at the pool. It was late April and the weather was perfect. We would cool down then shower and start our day.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:12 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,069,299 times
I suppose for someone like the poster above who has a pool at his home, and which is obviously indoors and heated, having a hotel pool is unimportant. However, for those of us who like to use the pool to relax and unwind from a busy day, or use it for a gentle waking up with coffee; then a pool is a necessity. Even though we have a pool, we can only use it about 5 months of the year. During those months, an indoor hotel pool is not essential but it is an amenity we still seek out, especially if we are doing lots of walking while sightseeing.

As for the comments that a hotel pool is like going to Key West and using the hotel pool; if I were going to Key West in January, I am not going to the beach! Besides, some people like my husband, do not like the sand!

Old 01-10-2014, 11:14 AM

152 posts, read 385,976 times
I always pick hotels with a pool, my only chance to swim in cold months.
I went to Houston a few years ago in August and it was 99 degrees for 4 days straight so I was either in the pool or inside in the A/C.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:33 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,411,083 times
Yes, a hotel pool is necessary, I swim early every morning at work, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans