U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 11:10 PM

814 posts, read 1,366,544 times

Advertisements

I don't really know if rents are any cheaper in New Orleans than in Austin, so that might not be the best reasoning for moving here. But you can definitely find 1 bedroom apartments for under $1,000 (even 2 bedrooms) in a good neighborhood. A lot of the suggestions are good but also check out the river bend/Carrollton area. Check some of the other threads on here as well since they give plenty of good ideas.

Also annie_himself, there are not that many single family homes in the Bywater and Marigny, among other things it's a lot of double shotguns.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 11:28 PM

41 posts, read 178,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
You won't find anything in either neighborhoods for that price. At least I've never found anything.

Try searching Mid-City, some parts of Treme I believe, Freret, Lower Garden District, Broadmoor, and Algiers Point.
Wow. You guys are really helpful. I've done some research already, I'll do some more with the above suggestions. May be open to the idea of living 15-20 minutes away from the city proper if we can get a nice little house with a yard.

Any other suggestions? Neat towns?

Thanks again.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:54 AM

15,826 posts, read 23,893,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
Also annie_himself, there are not that many single family homes in the Bywater and Marigny, among other things it's a lot of double shotguns.
I always assumed those were considered single family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinEdge View Post
Wow. You guys are really helpful. I've done some research already, I'll do some more with the above suggestions. May be open to the idea of living 15-20 minutes away from the city proper if we can get a nice little house with a yard.

Any other suggestions? Neat towns?

Thanks again.
That's what we're here for. Metairie is just outside the city limits and offers more garden style complexes than New Orleans. It won't have the same vibe but close enough.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I always assumed those were considered single family.
I believe single family homes are one residence in one whole building. The double shotguns are two residences in one whole building which would be multi-family, though some have been converted to single family homes.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:39 PM

2 posts, read 1,859 times
i lived in NOLA 2 years ago at this time (winter) for 4 months (subletting a place). rents in NOLA have gone up considerably since then. you CANNOT find a decent 1 bedroom in a nice area in the city of New Orleans for less than $1200 now. when i was there, you could find a place for about $950.

you also need a car in New Orleans since the buses are completely unreliable. ride a bike ?? in that heat and with all the drunk drivers,,,crazy.

Austin is far less expensive than New Orleans now, and jobs are more plentiful in Austin. that's not saying much, since most all jobs in NOLA are in the restaurant/hotel businesses paying low wages.

it's not what is was prior to Katrina.

low wages, expensive real estate for a small city with no jobs.

Last edited by elainebrokethemold; 01-28-2014 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-28-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elainebrokethemold View Post
i lived in NOLA 2 years ago at this time (winter) for 4 months (subletting a place). rents in NOLA have gone up considerably since then. you CANNOT find a decent 1 bedroom in a nice area in the city of New Orleans for less than $1200 now. when i was there, you could find a place for about $950.

you also need a car in New Orleans since the buses are completely unreliable. ride a bike ?? in that heat and with all the drunk drivers,,,crazy.

Austin is far less expensive than New Orleans now, and jobs are more plentiful in Austin. that's not saying much, since most all jobs in NOLA are in the restaurant/hotel businesses paying low wages.

You can find decent places for $700, unless you are looking in the CBD and Quarter. Austin is not far less expensive. Real estate isn't the cheapest but the rental market is pretty cheap in my opinion.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:26 PM

642 posts, read 908,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elainebrokethemold View Post

If there were no jobs, why are professionals continually moving here recently

Old 01-28-2014, 11:00 PM

67 posts, read 80,397 times
I like NO but why anyone would leave Austin for NO is beyond me. You can always visit NO if you want to taste the culture every now and then. Now, if you were leaving a city like Tulsa or Kansas City for NO, then I'd get it. But Austin? That makes no sense without a very compelling reason, especially with NO's current real estate situation (hint: very overpriced for what you get).

Old 01-28-2014, 11:03 PM

Perhaps the "What do you have on tap?" mindset got old.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:29 PM

LOL, I didn't know Austin was such an "amazing" place. I think it is quite easy to understand why someone would want to leave Austin for New Orleans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans