U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-19-2014, 03:44 PM
 
41 posts, read 172,473 times
Reputation: 24

Advertisements

Were pondering weather or not to relocate to New Orleans from Austin because our rent (and surrounding rents) have gone up 65% in the last 3 years. No joke. Anyways. We're a young, married, creative couple with no intention of kids and just want to know what neighborhoods to check out.

We would like to get a simple, yet nice place to rent, in a relatively safe neighborhood in New Orleans proper, where there's interesting people around and plenty of things to do for under $1000 per month.

Please xcuse my ignorance, but this thread is our first step in possibly calling Louisiana home.

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-19-2014, 03:53 PM
 
Location: GA
14 posts, read 20,695 times
Reputation: 17
I would check out the Bywater and the Marigny neighborhoods. There are a lot of restaurants and shops in the area, as well as the great clubs etc on Frenchmen St.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2014, 06:36 PM
 
41 posts, read 172,473 times
Reputation: 24
Thank you Mrs.Madrigal. Appreciate the help.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2014, 06:50 PM
 
Location: Denver
14,466 posts, read 20,978,474 times
Reputation: 9388
You won't find anything in either neighborhoods for that price. At least I've never found anything.

Try searching Mid-City, some parts of Treme I believe, Freret, Lower Garden District, Broadmoor, and Algiers Point.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2014, 06:58 PM
 
Location: GA
14 posts, read 20,695 times
Reputation: 17
You don't think a 1 bedroom would be around $1000? On Trulia a few weeks ago there was an awesome 2 BR in the Marigny listed for $1000. For some reason it's now listed at $1100, but again--it's awesome. A house I can see being too expensive, but what about a one bedroom apartment in one of those areas? There's an apartment complex on Louisa St about half a block down from Booty's that I don't THINK is full yet--may be worth looking into. I think it's on the 600 or 700 block.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2014, 07:02 PM
 
Location: Sandy Springs (ATL)
1,890 posts, read 2,536,989 times
Reputation: 1612
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
You won't find anything in either neighborhoods for that price. At least I've never found anything.

Try searching Mid-City, some parts of Treme I believe, Freret, Lower Garden District, Broadmoor, and Algiers Point.
I agree with everything said here. Though I do think a good contact in the Marigny-Bywater would prove useful in finding a decent 1/2 double there.

Being young, childless, creative types I suggest Mid-City, Gentilly, or the Freret area. I myself can't wait to move back to Gentilly...so much rebuilding, new housing, and gentrification taking place there. Of course, its still currently a diamond in much rough, but in a year I project it to be amongst the highest in desirable areas of New Orleans.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2014, 07:25 PM
 
62 posts, read 257,669 times
Reputation: 126
I'm currently in the apartment-hunting process, and based on my searching I think you can certainly find a 1BR apartment for $1,000 per month or less in any neighborhood. Your options will be limited and you obviously sacrifice things like size and amenities the lower in rent you go, but it certainly can be done. Just do a quick search on Craigslist with your preferences for max rent and you'll see some of what is out there. Not many options in the Marigny/Bywater but I've definitely spotted places hovering around $1,000. If you can increase you range to $1,100 or 1,200 I think you'd have a lot more options, but if that's not doable I wouldn't be discouraged. I'd look in all of the neighborhoods that have been mentioned thus far.

Here are 3 apartments, one in the Lower Garden District, one Uptown, and one in the Quarter, all for $1,000 or less:

LGD - Near Magazine St.
Uptown - Great Uptown Location near Whole Foods
Quarter - 1219 Decatur St. #9
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2014, 07:33 PM
 
Location: Denver
14,466 posts, read 20,978,474 times
Reputation: 9388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Madrigal View Post
You don't think a 1 bedroom would be around $1000? On Trulia a few weeks ago there was an awesome 2 BR in the Marigny listed for $1000. For some reason it's now listed at $1100, but again--it's awesome. A house I can see being too expensive, but what about a one bedroom apartment in one of those areas? There's an apartment complex on Louisa St about half a block down from Booty's that I don't THINK is full yet--may be worth looking into. I think it's on the 600 or 700 block.
I just looked at that place. Good find. Most of the Marigny and Bywater are going to be single family homes. I don't think there are many subdivided homes with separate rentals or apartment buildings.
The small two-story garden style complex?
http://goo.gl/maps/6vh0B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
I agree with everything said here. Though I do think a good contact in the Marigny-Bywater would prove useful in finding a decent 1/2 double there.

Being young, childless, creative types I suggest Mid-City, Gentilly, or the Freret area. I myself can't wait to move back to Gentilly...so much rebuilding, new housing, and gentrification taking place there. Of course, its still currently a diamond in much rough, but in a year I project it to be amongst the highest in desirable areas of New Orleans.
Gentilly for a young couple with no kids? I have to see what you're talking about. Last time I was there I only went to Dillard.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2014, 07:35 PM
 
Location: Denver
14,466 posts, read 20,978,474 times
Reputation: 9388
Another question. Do you have a car? Willing to use transit?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2014, 07:59 PM
 
Location: Sandy Springs (ATL)
1,890 posts, read 2,536,989 times
Reputation: 1612
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I just looked at that place. Good find. Most of the Marigny and Bywater are going to be single family homes. I don't think there are many subdivided homes with separate rentals or apartment buildings.
The small two-story garden style complex?
http://goo.gl/maps/6vh0B

Gentilly for a young couple with no kids? I have to see what you're talking about. Last time I was there I only went to Dillard.
I think Gentilly is walkable and full of young couples...some with, some without children; and has a lot of potential that is unfolding. I think its a good suit for a young couple who might, in the future, begin a family...I just think it should be amongst the options for aspects I mentioned before.

Hey annie, STOP trying to crap on my Gentilly J/K
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top