U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-21-2014, 12:40 PM
 
640 posts, read 769,685 times
Reputation: 464

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
1. You said it yourself, you're from NYC. You'll be fine. Common street smarts is all you need.

2. Don't expect to meet Greeks or Italians often in New Orleans. I'd say speaking some Italian is a possibility depending on your job and lifestyle. I've seen Australians, Germans, Swedes, and Chinese in the French Quarter and CBD though. There's a sizeable population of Jews, Vietnamese, and Central Americans in the city, with the latter being a more recent migration.

3. Religion isn't a problem in New Orleans. Drinking to the point of passing out isn't what everyone does. But don't be alarmed if people have a drink at lunch. You can enjoy every festival, concert, show, tour, restaurant, art gallery, museum, etc without drinking, many transplants do the same. The pace will be very slow compared to what you're accustomed to.

New Orleans has a quite a few Italians probably has the MOST Italians in the South EASILY.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-21-2014, 09:26 PM
 
Location: Denver
15,830 posts, read 23,912,360 times
Reputation: 11863
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon504 View Post
New Orleans has a quite a few Italians probably has the MOST Italians in the South EASILY.
Highest population of Sicilians outside of Sicily itself.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2014, 10:00 PM
 
Location: New Orleans
814 posts, read 1,367,430 times
Reputation: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Highest population of Sicilians outside of Sicily itself.
I wouldn't go that far. Just in the US cities like New York, Philly, Boston, Chicago, and probably others would have more Sicilians. New Orleans' Italian-American population is like 95% Sicilian which is very high for the US but those much larger cities with much larger Italian-American populations would still have more Sicilians. So I guess percentage wise you could make that claim (at least for the US) but not numbers wise. Also I think New Orleans does have the highest percentage of Italian-Americans for major metro areas outside the Northeast cities (and maybe Cleveland).

Also NativeSon504, some other Southern cities do have larger Italian-American populations, especially the ones in Florida (thanks to transplants). But New Orleans does have the highest percentage of Italian-Americans.

Last edited by Jimbo_1; 01-21-2014 at 10:15 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2014, 09:12 AM
 
Location: Denver
15,830 posts, read 23,912,360 times
Reputation: 11863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
I wouldn't go that far. Just in the US cities like New York, Philly, Boston, Chicago, and probably others would have more Sicilians. New Orleans' Italian-American population is like 95% Sicilian which is very high for the US but those much larger cities with much larger Italian-American populations would still have more Sicilians. So I guess percentage wise you could make that claim (at least for the US) but not numbers wise. Also I think New Orleans does have the highest percentage of Italian-Americans for major metro areas outside the Northeast cities (and maybe Cleveland).

Also NativeSon504, some other Southern cities do have larger Italian-American populations, especially the ones in Florida (thanks to transplants). But New Orleans does have the highest percentage of Italian-Americans.
I read it somewhere. Not sure where though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2014, 09:25 AM
 
Location: MS
4,396 posts, read 4,649,901 times
Reputation: 1557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
I wouldn't go that far. Just in the US cities like New York, Philly, Boston, Chicago, and probably others would have more Sicilians. New Orleans' Italian-American population is like 95% Sicilian which is very high for the US but those much larger cities with much larger Italian-American populations would still have more Sicilians. So I guess percentage wise you could make that claim (at least for the US) but not numbers wise. Also I think New Orleans does have the highest percentage of Italian-Americans for major metro areas outside the Northeast cities (and maybe Cleveland).

Also NativeSon504, some other Southern cities do have larger Italian-American populations, especially the ones in Florida (thanks to transplants). But New Orleans does have the highest percentage of Italian-Americans.
Italians in*Mississippi | Mississippi History Now

My wife is friends with dozens of different Italian families in southeast Arkansas. One family came north from NOLA. Also, some of the best Italian food I have ever eaten was in a motel (not a hotel) restaurant in Greenville, MS.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2014, 09:49 AM
 
67 posts, read 80,416 times
Reputation: 61
1. NO has ALOT of crime. In 2013 NYC had a murder rate of 4 per 100k people. New Orleans had a murder rate of 42 per 100k - over 10 times as much as NYC. Think about that for a second. Not twice as much or three times as much or even five times but TEN times as much. And that's murders, not burglaries.

That said, yes, unlike other high crime cities, NO's crime is concentrated in bad areas. You won't find lawlessness or chaos in Uptown or Marigny etc. But unlike NYC, you'll run into bad neighborhoods alot more easily than NYC because they are everywhere. Uptown itself is right next to so many (Holly Grove, Central City, the area around WalMart on Jackson, and so on). In Manhattan, you can walk for a long time and not run into a bad area - and the bad areas in Manhattan are nothing like the bad areas in NO. To give you an example, if you want to go from Uptown to the Quarter along Saint Charles, you will pass by, though not through, Central City - one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the world. If you go from Mid City to the Quarter, you will pass by a high crime area in the 7th Ward. If you go from Riverbend to Mid City you will pass by, though not through, the high crime areas of Holly Grove and Gert Town. If you go from the Quarter to the Bywater, along St. Claude, you will by pass, though not through, the high crime 7th Ward. It's like the high murder areas are kind always on your right or left a few blocks away.

In general, you'll be fine but just be aware of how big of a chunk of the city is rough. If you stay out of those areas you should be ok but that said there is still a general uneasiness and feeling of danger that you don't feel in place like Manhattan or Austin or Denver. It's not just a "big city" thing with NO - it is legitimately one of the most dangerous cities in the entire world.

2. NO is mostly black (60%) and the rest is basically white. Yeah there are some Vietnamese and Hispanic but they're on the West Bank, which for all intensive purposes, might as well be located in Europe because you'll likely never go there. And unlike NYC, the whites and blacks are mostly from NO, so you get less of a cosmopolitan vibe. But that could be a good thing as the people are incredibly friendly, social, and fun here.

3. Drinking, sports, and religion are whatever. You can do them or not. A good deal of people drink here but it's not blackout drunk. That's mostly tourists. Everyone is a Saints fan, so you can't escape it really. Religion is not an issue - NO is not the Bible Belt.

Btw, going from NYC to NO is much easier than say going from NYC to Charlotte or Jacksonville or some other sprawling suburban city. NO is dense. Many parts are walkable and bikeable. It has a very vibrant area (the Quarter) with a lot of foot traffic. It has a ton of festivals and a big party atmosphere. You are leaving one lively city for another. You're not going from NYC to Omaha or Dallas.

Last edited by Nolaballa; 01-22-2014 at 10:01 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2014, 11:16 AM
 
Location: Denver
15,830 posts, read 23,912,360 times
Reputation: 11863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolaballa View Post
1. NO has ALOT of crime. In 2013 NYC had a murder rate of 4 per 100k people. New Orleans had a murder rate of 42 per 100k - over 10 times as much as NYC. Think about that for a second. Not twice as much or three times as much or even five times but TEN times as much. And that's murders, not burglaries.
New Orleans crime rate isn't that high. Murders have dropped 20%. It's similar to any large city, just more murders. If you don't sell drugs then you'll be fine.

Quote:
That said, yes, unlike other high crime cities, NO's crime is concentrated in bad areas. You won't find lawlessness or chaos in Uptown or Marigny etc. But unlike NYC, you'll run into bad neighborhoods alot more easily than NYC because they are everywhere. Uptown itself is right next to so many (Holly Grove, Central City, the area around WalMart on Jackson, and so on). In Manhattan, you can walk for a long time and not run into a bad area - and the bad areas in Manhattan are nothing like the bad areas in NO. To give you an example, if you want to go from Uptown to the Quarter along Saint Charles, you will pass by, though not through, Central City - one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the world. If you go from Mid City to the Quarter, you will pass by a high crime area in the 7th Ward. If you go from Riverbend to Mid City you will pass by, though not through, the high crime areas of Holly Grove and Gert Town. If you go from the Quarter to the Bywater, along St. Claude, you will by pass, though not through, the high crime 7th Ward. It's like the high murder areas are kind always on your right or left a few blocks away.
Some of the worst crime stories come out of Uptown, but it's a large area. There was a murder on MLK recently. The Marigny has crime as well, I think it's more stick-ups though. Holly Grove and Central City are both in Uptown. Manhattan is not the only part of New York. What about Harlem, Queens, Bronx, East NY, Bushwick, Flatbush, etc. Passing by on St. Charles never gives you the feeling of being in a dangerous neighborhood. There are decent areas of Central City as well. If you go from Mid-City to the Quarter, you will likely take Canal St instead of St. Bernard. Driving along St. Claude is fine as well. There are nice homes down in The Marigny and Bywater. St. Roch has nice areas as well with less crime.

Quote:
In general, you'll be fine but just be aware of how big of a chunk of the city is rough. If you stay out of those areas you should be ok but that said there is still a general uneasiness and feeling of danger that you don't feel in place like Manhattan or Austin or Denver. It's not just a "big city" thing with NO - it is legitimately one of the most dangerous cities in the entire world.
Which is legitimately over exaggerated.
Quote:
2. NO is mostly black (60%) and the rest is basically white. Yeah there are some Vietnamese and Hispanic but they're on the West Bank, which for all intensive purposes, might as well be located in Europe because you'll likely never go there. And unlike NYC, the whites and blacks are mostly from NO, so you get less of a cosmopolitan vibe. But that could be a good thing as the people are incredibly friendly, social, and fun here.
They are also in Metairie. I don't know why someone would never go there. The CCC carries nearly 200,000 cars daily and the HPL carries about 50,000 cars daily. In neighborhoods like the CBD, Marigny, Bywater, Warehouse District, and Lower Garden District you will find lots of transplants from all over the country.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2014, 11:45 AM
 
67 posts, read 80,416 times
Reputation: 61
#21 in the world by murder rate

List of cities by murder rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"legitimately over exaggerated"

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2014, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Metairie, LA
1,097 posts, read 2,193,855 times
Reputation: 1477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolaballa View Post
#21 in the world by murder rate

List of cities by murder rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"legitimately over exaggerated"

The risk to the average transplant living in a decent neighborhood is legitimately over exaggerated.

Based on the 2013 numbers we should be closer to 41 homicides per 100k residents.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2014, 12:04 PM
 
640 posts, read 769,685 times
Reputation: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
I wouldn't go that far. Just in the US cities like New York, Philly, Boston, Chicago, and probably others would have more Sicilians. New Orleans' Italian-American population is like 95% Sicilian which is very high for the US but those much larger cities with much larger Italian-American populations would still have more Sicilians. So I guess percentage wise you could make that claim (at least for the US) but not numbers wise. Also I think New Orleans does have the highest percentage of Italian-Americans for major metro areas outside the Northeast cities (and maybe Cleveland).

Also NativeSon504, some other Southern cities do have larger Italian-American populations, especially the ones in Florida (thanks to transplants). But New Orleans does have the highest percentage of Italian-Americans.
Yeah your right I forgot about the transpant Italians in other Southern cities. Good point. Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:32 PM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top