Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2014, 09:49 AM

2 posts, read 4,661 times

Advertisements

Hello all. My partner and I are unexpectedly moving to New Orleans in the beginning of March for a job transfer. Unfortunately there is no possible way I will be able to visit prior and am trying to rent online. I've been to New Orleans before but only as a tourist, and stayed in the French Quarter during Mardi Gras.
Crescent Club on Tulane looks very nice online and meets all of my requirements, but I'm concerned about the neighborhood. It gets good reviews on aptratings, but I notice from doing a search on these forums that the area was considered iffy. Most of those posts were a few years ago though, so I wondered if the area had improved or was up and coming? Is it safe to walk around? It seems close proximity to the street car and restaurants are within half a mile.
Thank you in advance for any thoughts you may have. Doing this sight unseen is scary but unavoidable!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 10:04 AM

67 posts, read 87,188 times
That's a rough, high crime neighborhood. Don't let anyone sugarcoat it for you. Yeah, in the complex you'll be fine but what if you want to walk to the store or walk a dog or whatever? Tulane Ave is not a place I'd ever want to live or even visit. I'd look elsewhere.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:45 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,339,431 times
It's not the roughest part of the city, but it's not a nice neighborhood either. Not really be best place for a single female walking her dog around. Tulane is improving and most of the crime is across Tulane from those apartments, but I still can't recommend that location for a first timer.

The Muses, Preserve, Marquis, Saulet and American Can are all complexes in much better areas.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
The Muses, Preserve, Marquis, Saulet and American Can are all complexes in much better areas.
I'd scratch the first three off the list for being in less than desirable areas. Saulet's neighborhood is borderline but better than the first three.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolaballa View Post
I'd scratch the first three off the list for being in less than desirable areas. Saulet's neighborhood is borderline but better than the first three.
The Muses may be a little borderline, but the rest are in very low crime areas that I walk through day and night. I happen to live close to The Preserve and can tell you that area behind Banks St. is not as rough as it looks. The crime stats improve dramatically on that side of Carrollton Ave. Have you even seen the crime maps for those areas?

I would still recommend the Muses over the Crescent Club on Tulane Ave, its statistically similar crime wise, but there are more amenities close by and excellent access to downtown and uptown.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:24 PM

Yeah I guess the Preserve might not be so bad since it's on the other side of Carrolton. I never felt unsafe around that little strip mall with the Shamrock. Personally, my top three in order of preference would probably be, based on location only, American Can, Saulet, Preserve. The lofts in the Warehouse District would trump all those but they are in a totally different rent bracket.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:31 PM

415 posts, read 801,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolaballa View Post
Yeah I guess the Preserve might not be so bad since it's on the other side of Carrolton. I never felt unsafe around that little strip mall with the Shamrock. Personally, my top three in order of preference would probably be, based on location only, American Can, Saulet, Preserve. The lofts in the Warehouse District would trump all those but they are in a totally different rent bracket.

The Saulet is actually pretty pricey depending on what unit you want. If you are willing to sacrifice square footage, you can get something in the CBD or warehouse district for less.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:45 PM

2 posts, read 4,661 times
Wow thanks for all the responses guys. I'm disappointed but at least there are some other options. I thought the Preserve was just up the road from Crescent Club? They were my second choice. I have a dog and cat so I really need a place that is pet friendly. Are there restaurants and pubs in the area?

Old 01-22-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy_Jane View Post
Wow thanks for all the responses guys. I'm disappointed but at least there are some other options. I thought the Preserve was just up the road from Crescent Club? They were my second choice. I have a dog and cat so I really need a place that is pet friendly. Are there restaurants and pubs in the area?
Around the Preserve? The Shamrock is a block away. It used to be a bowling alley, but now it's more of an adult chuck-e-cheese. The place is huge. Lots of dartboards, pool tables, ping pong tables, even skee-ball. There's cover bands on the weekends and lots of beer on tap.

3 blocks away on Banks St, there's:
-Crescent Pie and Sausage (Nice dinner, weekend brunch)
-Wakin Bakin (Breakfast)
-Biscuits and Buns (Breakfast)
-Banks St. Bar (local dive live music most nights, never a cover)
-Mid-City Pizza (HUGE NY style pizza)

5 blocks away is Mid-City yacht club. (Slightly more upscale, nice patio, no smoking inside)

A little further away is Blue Dot Donuts and a bunch of places along Carrollton Ave and elsewhere.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:49 PM

643 posts, read 977,527 times
Good suggestions rburnett.

Another apartment complex not far from those two complexes and is in mid city is The Meridian on S. Jefferson Davis Pkwy Cassidy Jane......they are pretty nice and secure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of: