Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2014, 01:29 PM

35 posts, read 117,976 times

Advertisements

Would like to do one when we come to New Orleans this summer. (Can't change the date due to work/school issues.) I have looked at several online and they all look pretty good. Is there much difference between any of them? Also, is there a better time of the day to go on these if one wants to see alligators?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 09:01 AM

880 posts, read 1,251,705 times
Cajun Encounters is very good, located on Honey Island Swamp and Pearl river. We've gone twice. One time the guide was more scientifically oriented, telling us about the ecology of the swamp, history of gator farming, local community. The second time, a different guide pretty much put on a gator circus show and then took us through the community of boat houses on pearl river. The two tours were completely different, but a lot of fun.

Also, this site is great for people moving/living/working in NOLA. For tourist info such as swamp tours and things to do for first timers, Tripadvisor is better. Although, if you are looking for advice on "off-the-beaten-path" tourism, I'd come back here again.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:57 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
I've taken the Honey Island Swamp Tour - The Original Honey Island Swamp Tour | New Orleans, Louisiana and it was awesome. Saw the boat houses, small gators, huge gators and even got the science lesson.

I would have asked about bigfoot at the time but I didn't know they had one - Bigfoot | The Original Honey Island Swamp Tour

Old 02-19-2014, 03:41 PM

415 posts, read 802,343 times
My wife and I took my mom on the Jean Lafitte tour. I felt like it was worth the money. Saw a good number of gators but my wife went again with a friend and didn't see as many. So I guess it just depends on the day. I think it is closer to New Orleans than Cajun Encounters, depending on where you are coming from.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:39 AM

880 posts, read 1,251,705 times
I like what my first tour guide said: "You can see alligators at any zoo in the world, but there are things that you see here that you will never see anywhere else." he was right, there's much more to it than just gators.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:26 PM

643 posts, read 978,110 times
My girl, her mother and myself went to the Cajun encounters tour this morning around slidell and had a lot of fun...we saw plenty gators, wild boar, snakes, large turtles, Hawks, and raccoons...I will go again soon.... and it was foggy this morning giving the tour in the swamp an eerie feeling.....it was like a scary movie...lol

Old 02-23-2014, 12:18 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
The one I took was different. We did the A Cajun Man's Swamp Tour near Houma, run by a man who grew up there. He had forgotten to bring the chicken bait for alligator, so we didn't get to see one up close. But we saw them in several places here 'n' there, plus all kinds of other wildlife. This one circles around a little "island" and it was very beautiful and peaceful. Then there's the added treat when he takes a break to grab his squeezebox and sing a Cajun song. :-) I don't think this one draws as many tourists, so the boat doesn't get packed.

I'd like to do another swamp tour in a different area next time. Maybe the Honey Island one.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:03 AM

106 posts, read 155,716 times
I tried it once. It was ok. We didn't see any huge alligators but they did pass around a baby alligator that we held. It's something that you should try at least once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans