U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2014, 01:15 PM

415 posts, read 756,184 times

Advertisements

I realize (now) that the law is 15 feet but in the past as long as I have been a car length or so from the hydrant I have never been towed. I feel like this is really only enforced during Carnival and other busy times of the year.

On a side note, the City Auto Impound under I-10 is a miserable place. And from the way they treated my wife and I, one would think we were Bonnie & Clyde. There was another young guy there with an older dog. The employees were borderline harassing him for having a dog in the lot. My wife offered to watch him while his owner went in to settle and the poor thing was shaking to death.

I realize New Orleans has crime problems but the city does not need to treat parking violators like hardened criminals. Also, $153 towing fee? What is that about? Last time I was towed in a big city it was $60 and the lot was at least 10 miles from the towing location. $153 for a few blocks seems pretty steep.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 09:38 PM

16,020 posts, read 24,282,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrockills View Post
I realize (now) that the law is 15 feet but in the past as long as I have been a car length or so from the hydrant I have never been towed. I feel like this is really only enforced during Carnival and other busy times of the year.

On a side note, the City Auto Impound under I-10 is a miserable place. And from the way they treated my wife and I, one would think we were Bonnie & Clyde. There was another young guy there with an older dog. The employees were borderline harassing him for having a dog in the lot. My wife offered to watch him while his owner went in to settle and the poor thing was shaking to death.

I realize New Orleans has crime problems but the city does not need to treat parking violators like hardened criminals. Also, $153 towing fee? What is that about? Last time I was towed in a big city it was $60 and the lot was at least 10 miles from the towing location. $153 for a few blocks seems pretty steep.
New Orleans is busy alot. Not just Carnival season. You must have dealth with a saint of a place last time, impounds are scum of the earth, all of them and their tow truck driving minions. That price is quite average. $60 is a STEAL from my experiences.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
New Orleans is busy alot. Not just Carnival season. You must have dealth with a saint of a place last time, impounds are scum of the earth, all of them and their tow truck driving minions. That price is quite average. $60 is a STEAL from my experiences.
Yeah...not saying New Orleans is ever quiet...but I have parked a couple feet from a fire hydrant numerous times Uptown for much longer durations with no issue. So I was just postulating that it is a rule they only enforce at certain times of the year. Or maybe it's only in certain areas of town.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:22 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,212,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrockills View Post
Yeah...not saying New Orleans is ever quiet...but I have parked a couple feet from a fire hydrant numerous times Uptown for much longer durations with no issue. So I was just postulating that it is a rule they only enforce at certain times of the year. Or maybe it's only in certain areas of town.
Just because you got away with it, doesn't mean it's legal. The city does not have the manpower to enforce parking laws on every corner of the city, so they concentrate their effort is in the densest areas like the FQ, CBD. Major events like Jazz Fest, Po-Boy Fest, Boogaloo and MG parades will shift their focus to other neighborhoods.

People routinely(and illegally) block sidewalk access, park too close to street corners, park on public rights of way, etc. That doesn't make it right. Sure, you found a seemingly good spot to park, but at the same time you're making things more difficult for people walking, people with disabilities, emergency vehicles and other drivers.

Park correctly and you won't have a problem.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
Just because you got away with it, doesn't mean it's legal. The city does not have the manpower to enforce parking laws on every corner of the city, so they concentrate their effort is in the densest areas like the FQ, CBD. Major events like Jazz Fest, Po-Boy Fest, Boogaloo and MG parades will shift their focus to other neighborhoods.

People routinely(and illegally) block sidewalk access, park too close to street corners, park on public rights of way, etc. That doesn't make it right. Sure, you found a seemingly good spot to park, but at the same time you're making things more difficult for people walking, people with disabilities, emergency vehicles and other drivers.

Park correctly and you won't have a problem.
Had I known about the 15 foot law I would not have parked there. Don't assume I am an a**hole because I parked illegally. Never said I was in the right and I apologize if I made it seem like I feel that way. I only wish things like this would be consistently enforced.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:25 PM

32 posts, read 40,499 times
I remember getting towed by LSU medical center. I had the proper clearance, but the person who towed me took that opportunity to slide in and jack my vehicle, so it really wasn't a tow company who did it, just some Joe Blow in a flat bed. I would never park where I have a big space behind or in front of me anymore. I learned my lesson. It's not worth it to be that last car near the hydrant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans