U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 11:50 PM

15,825 posts, read 23,890,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolaballa View Post
LOL what a joke of a list. New Orleans not on it is hilarious. I like living in NO but give me a break. It's still among the worst cities in the WORLD for murders. Let's not let our enjoyment of what NO has to offer blind us to the reality of the insane murder rate in the city.

York, PA more dangerous than New Orleans? LOLOLOLOLOL. That should tell you how horrible that list is.

Minneapolis? I can't breathe from laughter.
Murder is just one crime out of hundreds of others.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 11:15 AM

640 posts, read 769,058 times
Quote:
LOL what a joke of a list. New Orleans not on it is hilarious. I like living in NO but give me a break. It's still among the worst cities in the WORLD for murders. Let's not let our enjoyment of what NO has to offer blind us to the reality of the insane murder rate in the city.

York, PA more dangerous than New Orleans? LOLOLOLOLOL. That should tell you how horrible that list is.

Minneapolis? I can't breathe from laughter.

It's a OVERALL CRIME list NOT a number of MURDERS list.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:28 AM

1,900 posts, read 2,847,917 times
Quote:
But you yourself, in a different thread, displayed an understanding of how exclusive this is to certain areas and thus isn't a widespread issue. If you're as objective as you claim you would notice that the murder rate is plummeting. Oh and the list is about overall crime rate...not just murder.

Quote:
The crime and poverty are avoidable. Honestly, I have never run into it. Yes, it is never that far from you in NO - and the city is one of the leading murder cities int he world - but you just don't run into in the city unless you live in one of the poor areas. A city like Newark or Camden feels unsafe everywhere. But NO isn't like that. Uptown, Warehouse District, the Quarter, Marigny, Bywater, all are nothing like the crime-ridden parts of the city. If you stay out of NO East, the Seventh Ward, Central City, Holly Grove, Gert Town, and parts of LGD, then you're totally fine. This isn't a city of random crime.

NO is a really fun city. More festivals and things to do than you can ever hope to do. A vibe like no other city. Honestly, NYC, where I used to live, feels like a lame party compared to NO. They just know how to live it up here.
^^^your own statement from the thread I referenced.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:10 PM

836 posts, read 1,571,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

As for New Orleans....Hurricane Katrina helped a lot.
Yes, I'm afraid those percentage drops in New Orleans became percentage spikes where they relocated.

They're still doin what they do.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:01 PM

67 posts, read 80,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
But you yourself, in a different thread, displayed an understanding of how exclusive this is to certain areas and thus isn't a widespread issue. If you're as objective as you claim you would notice that the murder rate is plummeting. Oh and the list is about overall crime rate...not just murder.

^^^your own statement from the thread I referenced.
mod cut

Yes, NO "feels" safer and the crime is "more" avoidable THAN most of the WORST cities for crime (e.g., Newark, Detroit, etc., not York, PA). That doesn't mean NO doesn't have a prominent place on a list for crime-ridden cities. For Christ's sake, it has a murder rate of FORTY-PLUS per 100,000. That puts it in the stratosphere of cities, WORLDWIDE, with high murder rates.

mod cut

So what if Orlando has more fistfights. Murder is a whole 'nother level of crime. Treating the two as equals on a list is beyond mod cut

Have you been to York, PA? How about Minneapolis? Go there, take pictures, walk around night, do the whole thing - and then come back here and report to us. Those cities are like Disneyland compared to NO.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 03-03-2014 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: offensive and rude

Old 03-03-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon504 View Post
It's a OVERALL CRIME list NOT a number of MURDERS list.
mod cut

Let me break it down for you:

1. Treating battery and murder as equal crimes on a list is beyond stupid. Where would you rather live, somewhere with a batter rate of 42/100,000 or somewhere with a murder rate of 42/100,000. Which is more "dangerous?" If you say the former, then you need to get your head checked.

2. Murder numbers are hard for police departments to fudge because you have a dead person. Battery and so on are not, which means a city can under-report those crimes.

Sign of the crazy boosterism in this forum: turn off your critical thinking skills and brain when something is remotely positive about NO. But go into Sherlock Holmes, full debate mode when something says something negative about this city.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 03-03-2014 at 04:14 PM..

Old 03-03-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
mod cut

Yes, NO "feels" safer and the crime is "more" avoidable THAN most of the WORST cities for crime (e.g., Newark, Detroit, etc., not York, PA). That doesn't mean NO doesn't have a prominent place on a list for crime-ridden cities. For Christ's sake, it has a murder rate of FORTY-PLUS per 100,000. That puts it in the stratosphere of cities, WORLDWIDE, with high murder rates.

I mean, the boosterism is just insane in this forum.

So what if Orlando has more fistfights. Murder is a whole 'nother level of crime. Treating the two as equals on a list is beyond retarded.

Have you been to York, PA? How about Minneapolis? Go there, take pictures, walk around night, do the whole thing - and then come back here and report to us. Those cities are like Disneyland compared to NO.
mod cut

Let me help you refocus. If you simply scroll up, you'll see that I never likened "fist fights" to murder. What I did say was that if you are as objective as you claim, which you clearly aren't, you'll see that the murder rate here has plummeted(significantly lowered). Which it has. What I also did was quote you saying that you live here and never run into crime. Though in this post you allude to it being dangerous at night by saying "walk around night" and York and Minneapolis "are like Disneyland compared to N.O." In case you're not sure, what I'm stating is that you keep contradicting yourself. If you never run into crime or poverty here(as you said), why would another city feel safer to you

I don't know about the "boosterism" you keep referencingmod cut.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 03-03-2014 at 04:15 PM..

Old 03-03-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
Let me help you refocus. If you simply scroll up, you'll see that I never likened "fist fights" to murder. What I did say was that if you are as objective as you claim, which you clearly aren't, you'll see that the murder rate here has plummeted(significantly lowered). Which it has. What I also did was quote you saying that you live here and never run into crime. Though in this post you allude to it being dangerous at night by saying "walk around night" and York and Minneapolis "are like Disneyland compared to N.O." In case you're not sure, what I'm stating is that you keep contradicting yourself. If you never run into crime or poverty here(as you said), why would another city feel safer to you
mod cut

How you cannot distinguish what I said earlier from what I'm saying today is beyond me.

No matter how well I avoid the high crime areas of NO - and there are A LOT of them - it is still one of the most violent cities in the world. The crime IS, relatively, avoidable, compared to other high crime cities.

All of that has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the crime list issue. mod cut How do you not understand this simple point?

NO has one of the highest murder rates in the world regardless of how well I avoid the bad areas, which there are a ton of. If you know nothing about NO and walk around a random block you are WAY more likely to feel like you are about to be a victim of a crime than if you were dropped into a random location in York or Minneapolis.
mod cut

Last edited by Sam I Am; 03-03-2014 at 04:17 PM.. Reason: offensive, rude, personal attack

Old 03-03-2014, 03:20 PM

Nolaballa a month ago:

Quote:
...you don't just run into in the crime unless you live in one of the poor areas.
Quote:
This isn't a city of random crime.
Nolaballa today:

Quote:
...walk around a random block you are WAY more likely to feel like you are about to be a victim of a crime
mod cut

Last edited by Sam I Am; 03-03-2014 at 04:17 PM..

Old 03-03-2014, 03:35 PM

You realize all three of the posts are consistent right? NO's poor, crime ridden areas are a much larger % of the city than they are in Minneapolis or York. Much larger.

mod cut

Last edited by Sam I Am; 03-03-2014 at 04:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans