Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 7,881 times

Advertisements

Me and my girlfriend are moving to new orleans on monday. she got a great job working on one of the bridges there. we own a loving friendly pit bull who i have let play with my 2 year old and 4 year old nephews and never felt liek they were in danger ever.. if anyone knows any apartments tha tallow pit bulls or any other sufestions please help... and info on nicer parts of town to stay in would be also apreciated thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 01:18 PM

768 posts, read 4,386,239 times
Of course they've never felt like they were in danger. Pit Bulls are among the sweetest, most disciplined dogs to own.

I am not from New Orleans but I would think you will have a hard time finding any apartments that allow dogs over 30 lbs, especially Pit Bulls. Because of the unwarranted stigma attached to the three breeds commonly called Pit Bulls, most apartment and condo developments will have strict rules against them. Just remember, it doesn't matter how well you know your dog... people who are opposed to them will not take that into consideration. They see the breed, whether it be AMSTAFF, APBT, etc and think "bad."

Good luck... I really hope you find something.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:18 AM

44 posts, read 198,115 times
I think you would have an easier time renting a house through a real estate agency.... that's what I did, and the agent can assist you with finding a house that will accept your pet.
I have one LARGE dog, a Great Dane (which is hard to get accepted) and a pit bull mix (once again, hard to get accepted), and the company worked with me and found me a great place that I love... Plus, I have a yard, and am close to all major expressways...
So just check out local real estate agencies for "rental properties".

Old 08-10-2008, 01:00 PM

1 posts, read 7,828 times
Default contact ARNO

Contact a group called Animal Rescue New Orleans (ARNO). They have a website: animalrescueneworleans.org. (note it's ORG, not .com)
They are the best animal group in the area. If you can't get ahold of them, contact me back and I'll help you.
Mark
[mod]email deleted[/mod]

Last edited by leorah; 08-10-2008 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: deleted personal email

Old 08-16-2008, 11:32 AM

67 posts, read 248,646 times
I have learned that the easiest way to get by with a breed that has a social stigma associated with it is to use the "mixed" portion of the breed to your advantage. People are more naive than you may think and if you tell them that you have a lab mix instead of a pit bull mix, who's to say they A) won't believe you and B) can prove otherwise. Discrimination isn't tolerated in most places so at least you'll have them wondering if they're being ethical.

Good luck! I'll be going through this myself in either Houston, Boston or Denver in May of 09.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:11 PM

359 posts, read 1,312,425 times
Default that first line is a joke and a half!

lol.1 the sweetest....HAHA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
Of course they've never felt like they were in danger. Pit Bulls are among the sweetest, most disciplined dogs to own.

I am not from New Orleans but I would think you will have a hard time finding any apartments that allow dogs over 30 lbs, especially Pit Bulls. Because of the unwarranted stigma attached to the three breeds commonly called Pit Bulls, most apartment and condo developments will have strict rules against them. Just remember, it doesn't matter how well you know your dog... people who are opposed to them will not take that into consideration. They see the breed, whether it be AMSTAFF, APBT, etc and think "bad."

Good luck... I really hope you find something.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:13 PM

359 posts, read 1,312,425 times
Default A loving friendly.....pit bull

I know I wouldn't rent to you! Myabe loving and friendly towards you. A Why would anyone rent to someone who harbors a vicious animal...loveing and friendly....ROTF WITH THAT ONE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinh55 View Post
Me and my girlfriend are moving to new orleans on monday. she got a great job working on one of the bridges there. we own a loving friendly pit bull who i have let play with my 2 year old and 4 year old nephews and never felt liek they were in danger ever.. if anyone knows any apartments tha tallow pit bulls or any other sufestions please help... and info on nicer parts of town to stay in would be also apreciated thanks

Old 08-31-2008, 05:26 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeasisrael View Post
I know I wouldn't rent to you! Myabe loving and friendly towards you. A Why would anyone rent to someone who harbors a vicious animal...loveing and friendly....ROTF WITH THAT ONE!
I've seen pits (and rottweilers, too) surprise their owners by breaking free and taking off after a person or another dog. In fact, it happened in my neighborhood just last week when a teen boy came with his pit to visit a girl several doors down. It was ugly.

The problem with naturally aggressive dogs is that the owners simply cannot afford one single mistake. Not one. And the first time that an owner finds him/herself in an unexpected situation, the landlord-owner is responsible.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:00 AM

527 posts, read 1,281,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeasisrael View Post
Punish the deed. Not the breed.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:39 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,268,930 times
MODERATOR: We're off topic - they are asking for help locating living quarters, not personal views on the dog. Help or let it go. This isn't going into the pit bull debate. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of: