U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-24-2014, 05:35 PM
 
Location: New Orleans
2,311 posts, read 4,716,456 times
Reputation: 1443
Quote:
Originally Posted by muer22 View Post
All the questions weren't answered.

You have to consider the times of service, it will not be 24/7 and NOLA has a big nightlife.
I have parked for free in Downtown NOLA. Many college kids go to NOLA 3 deep so $10-$20 is not that much.

Business? Is the business on the rail line? How will you travel from the rail to Uptown? In New York you take a taxi, but the vast wealth of NYC affords people this option, so cost i s not an issue. It is a matter of logistics; and I see this as a losers game if you believe you can win people from their habits based off of ...I am not even sure what the practical advantage will be except for a 20 minute time advantage when there is heavy traffic.

If you guys want the system, you need to have your arguments solid with examples and stuff. San Jose to Stockton, CA is an 164 mile round trip (82 miles one way) and it currently costs $23 on AceRail. Thats 6 gallons of gas in California or a 160-190 miles round trip + convenience (no driving to the transit station, no buying a ticket, no waiting for the train, no stops along the way, etc). 7 gallons of gas in Louisiana or +200 miles.

Use examples. In Chicago the Commuter rail goes directly into the city and is faster than car because there are no Interstates in Chicago, same as NYC. In NOLA, there is. In Chicago and NYC, and Cali, the price of car ownership is higher (including gas). In Louisiana it is cheap.

This is a bad, need I say horrible idea as I see it presented on this site.

What do you do when the college kids aren't in school? When I was in college I never had $23 to spare
Dallas-Fort Worth TriRail is an example. DT Dallas to DT Fort Worth.

There's no more Swift Bus, so this would be a replacement. People can take buses or streetcars from the UPT.

Where are you getting the idea that Chicago doesn't have interstates?

Last edited by Neworleansisprettygood; 03-24-2014 at 06:17 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-24-2014, 07:08 PM
 
105 posts, read 144,876 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
Dallas-Fort Worth TriRail is an example. DT Dallas to DT Fort Worth.

There's no more Swift Bus, so this would be a replacement. People can take buses or streetcars from the UPT.

Where are you getting the idea that Chicago doesn't have interstates?
1. Dallas Fort Worth. Like I said I see the benefit in a Louis Armstrong International Airline to downtown rail. I have already said that. Conferences downtown.

But name any group of more than 50 people that routinely needs to go to New Orleans from Baton Rouge. Name a group of people without cars who can afford rail travel. In New Orleans you have that population but they will never come to BR, so what sense does that make. If you have a round trip train service that will be lopsided you better have 12 million people on one end of that route not 800k.

No, rail is not a Swift bus replacement. You dont replace an adequate system with a system offering the same service for 15 times the price. People like rail because it is so "European".

Yes you are right they can take the trolley car, but the trolley is kind of slow no? 15 minutes to the station, 15 minutes waiting for the train (could have been halfway to new orleans), 1 hour 30 minutes for the trip (including stops), 6 minutes for the transfer, 20 minutes to uptown via trolley. 2 hours and 30 minutes total. So to make a meeting at 7:15am, you will leave the house at 4:45am? Really?

No one has posted realistic numbers, only dreamy numbers, like 79mph, yeah top speed. but when you stop in Gonzales or LaPlace or at the airport, you will not leave approaching anywhere close to interstate car speed, more like 55mph nearing the city.

There was not an impressive ridership with swift, it was full but it was not like riding the train from Chicago to Milwaukee, floor sitting room only.

Chicago doesn't have interstates, They have LakeShore Drive, but that ends at Uptown on Sheridan Road. They have I-94 or something but that is in the West and is a pain in the arse to get to if you actually live in one of the neighborhoods of Chicago.

Last edited by muer22; 03-24-2014 at 08:07 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2014, 07:45 PM
 
Location: New Orleans
2,311 posts, read 4,716,456 times
Reputation: 1443
I-94 runs right past downtown Chicago, concurrent with I-90. They also have a toll loop further out, and other expressways. It's an area of more than 9 million people; it isn't road-free.

Part of the point of this, I think, is that upgrading the rail tracks will help with freight.

If you keep insisting that I give you examples of ridership, tell me why you think Greyhound exists as a private company. If they didn't make money off routes like New Orleans- Baton Rouge, they wouldn't be in business.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2014, 08:25 PM
 
105 posts, read 144,876 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
I-94 runs right past downtown Chicago, concurrent with I-90. They also have a toll loop further out, and other expressways. It's an area of more than 9 million people; it isn't road-free.

Part of the point of this, I think, is that upgrading the rail tracks will help with freight.

If you keep insisting that I give you examples of ridership, tell me why you think Greyhound exists as a private company. If they didn't make money off routes like New Orleans- Baton Rouge, they wouldn't be in business.
I have ridden Greyhound from NOLA to Baton Rouge and many of those people traveled on to Lafayette and then Houston. So the NOLA-BR is not just NOLA-BR people.

Have you actually been to Chicago? Answer: No. You Googled it. I worked in an office of over 80 people in Downtown where 98% did not take a car to work (international firm of college grads). I didn't Google it, I experienced it. And people wonder why the south is behind. Travel and understand how people get their systems to work instead of pretending you can drive a car into the heart of Chicago or NYC just like Baton Rouge or New Orleans. Chicago is car-prohibitive, New Orleans is not, You can park for free in NOLA's CBD, you cant even park free in a town of 30000 people in New England.

Freight? So you want the state to pay for Warren Buffet's BNSF rail operations?

Why in the world would people want a rail system when a bus service is more cost effective? If there were daily gridlock, i.e. taking 3 hours to travel 84 miles I would understand, but that does not exist.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2014, 09:02 PM
 
Location: New Orleans
2,311 posts, read 4,716,456 times
Reputation: 1443
Quote:
Originally Posted by muer22 View Post
I have ridden Greyhound from NOLA to Baton Rouge and many of those people traveled on to Lafayette and then Houston. So the NOLA-BR is not just NOLA-BR people.

Have you actually been to Chicago? Answer: No. You Googled it. I worked in an office of over 80 people in Downtown where 98% did not take a car to work (international firm of college grads). I didn't Google it, I experienced it. And people wonder why the south is behind. Travel and understand how people get their systems to work instead of pretending you can drive a car into the heart of Chicago or NYC just like Baton Rouge or New Orleans. Chicago is car-prohibitive, New Orleans is not, You can park for free in NOLA's CBD, you cant even park free in a town of 30000 people in New England.

Freight? So you want the state to pay for Warren Buffet's BNSF rail operations?

Why in the world would people want a rail system when a bus service is more cost effective? If there were daily gridlock, i.e. taking 3 hours to travel 84 miles I would understand, but that does not exist.
Don't know why you're placing such a big bet on Chicago. Yes, I visited there, was looking at Northwestern, checked out a Cubs game, rode the L to the (then-Sears) tower.

Anyway, this is probably going to happen, so you can keep posting against it, but I'm going to do what I should have done in the first place and just ignore you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2014, 10:04 PM
 
105 posts, read 144,876 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
Don't know why you're placing such a big bet on Chicago. Yes, I visited there, was looking at Northwestern, checked out a Cubs game, rode the L to the (then-Sears) tower.

Anyway, this is probably going to happen, so you can keep posting against it, but I'm going to do what I should have done in the first place and just ignore you.
It seems you leave this discussion like you began it, by ignoring my questions. Not very beneficial to either party.

Last edited by muer22; 03-24-2014 at 10:15 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2014, 11:20 PM
 
Location: Denver
15,826 posts, read 23,893,331 times
Reputation: 11844
Quote:
Originally Posted by muer22 View Post
All the questions weren't answered.

You have to consider the times of service, it will not be 24/7 and NOLA has a big nightlife.
I have parked for free in Downtown NOLA. Many college kids go to NOLA 3 deep so $10-$20 is not that much.

Business? Is the business on the rail line? How will you travel from the rail to Uptown? In New York you take a taxi, but the vast wealth of NYC affords people this option, so cost i s not an issue. It is a matter of logistics; and I see this as a losers game if you believe you can win people from their habits based off of ...I am not even sure what the practical advantage will be except for a 20 minute time advantage when there is heavy traffic.

If you guys want the system, you need to have your arguments solid with examples and stuff. San Jose to Stockton, CA is an 164 mile round trip (82 miles one way) and it currently costs $23 on AceRail. Thats 6 gallons of gas in California or a 160-190 miles round trip + convenience (no driving to the transit station, no buying a ticket, no waiting for the train, no stops along the way, etc). 7 gallons of gas in Louisiana or +200 miles.

Use examples. In Chicago the Commuter rail goes directly into the city and is faster than car because there are no Interstates in Chicago, same as NYC. In NOLA, there is. In Chicago and NYC, and Cali, the price of car ownership is higher (including gas). In Louisiana it is cheap.

This is a bad, need I say horrible idea as I see it presented on this site.

What do you do when the college kids aren't in school? When I was in college I never had $23 to spare
I admit that service needs to be closer to 24/7 to keep up with entertainment and airport demand. Many college kids also don't want to drive drunk to or from New Orleans but they do it everyday. It would have been used by me many times when I was younger, if it were more frequent.

Most business will be handled in the CBD, not Uptown, you could take a taxi, since it would be faster than the streetcar. Parking for free downtown during events and weekends is not going to be free, you're paying anywhere from $5-$50, not including hotel parking in the CBD.

The practical advantages come with the ease of not having to park and pay for parking, avoid traffic, save gas, etc. Not sure how often you drive from BR to NO but it's getting more and more congested. Soon it will take 2 hours to drive to the CBD. If the service is excellent (not just decent) then it'll work. Otherwise it'll tank until they get it right.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2014, 05:37 AM
 
105 posts, read 144,876 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I admit that service needs to be closer to 24/7 to keep up with entertainment and airport demand. Many college kids also don't want to drive drunk to or from New Orleans but they do it everyday. It would have been used by me many times when I was younger, if it were more frequent.

Most business will be handled in the CBD, not Uptown, you could take a taxi, since it would be faster than the streetcar. Parking for free downtown during events and weekends is not going to be free, you're paying anywhere from $5-$50, not including hotel parking in the CBD.

The practical advantages come with the ease of not having to park and pay for parking, avoid traffic, save gas, etc. Not sure how often you drive from BR to NO but it's getting more and more congested. Soon it will take 2 hours to drive to the CBD. If the service is excellent (not just decent) then it'll work. Otherwise it'll tank until they get it right.
True, people need to make sure it is 24/7 service, only NYC, Chicago, and maybe SF, have 24/7 service. And none of those cities have 24/7 bus service which is not a big problem for NOLA since they all have city rail. NOLA does not have 24/7 city transit of any kind. As you said if you are a drunk college kid are you going to stumble on the rail system with business, professors and doctors, then stumble into your car in Baton Rouge and drive home. Two things, you will lose your customers unless you have first class seating. Second you will still have drunk drivers in Baton Rouge.

Yes you could take the taxi, but then the cost savings is no longer a valid reason for rail.

I went to NOLA 3 times this past two months. I took 1-10 and Airline on different occasions. I parked for free three of four blocks from Harrahs casino during a Saints football game, probably 20 feet off of Canal. Like I said this would never happen in Chicago, parking is always metered.

If you go in a group as most people do, the $5 parking will be almost nothing.

2hours, that's speculative.

I would just place more focus on key locations. I think NOLA has one of the only VA Hospitals that still services aging Vietnam Vets, you have conferences, the airport,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2014, 08:25 AM
 
Location: New Orleans
2,311 posts, read 4,716,456 times
Reputation: 1443
He's got an axe to grind. He's not going to listen, so better to just let him talk.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2014, 09:02 AM
 
105 posts, read 144,876 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
He's got an axe to grind. He's not going to listen, so better to just let him talk.
First you laugh at me, then you "ignore" me, now you have come back to name call, label me and recruit people against me.. You are taking this way too personally. Cool it buddy.

Do you even have anything substantive to say about rail transit? Start an " I hate muer22 when he demands that transit be competitive" topic because this forum is for discussing transit. I wish you would leave because your idea of listen is "blindly accept what I say". You need to work on articulation and tone down the agitation

As for the parking in downtown. I will grant you that it is limited and can be b pricey. But not to the effect that it currently restricts car usage.

I would suggest that if New Orleans wants transit. They should make car use in the CBD more limited or even ban cars in some areas. Portland did this but some business owners said it hurt their business. NYC did this in Times Square.

Last edited by muer22; 03-25-2014 at 09:13 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:52 AM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top