Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 09:28 PM

643 posts, read 973,961 times

Advertisements

BR-N.O. passenger rail service estimated at $262 million | Home | The New Orleans Advocate

Estimated cost to build is cheaper than expected
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 09:40 PM

16,506 posts, read 26,193,039 times
It's also slower. Like that it stays in our minds though.

This should be in the Louisiana forum though.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:52 PM

643 posts, read 973,961 times
Im confident it's gonna happen

Old 03-18-2014, 10:15 PM

I really think LSU needs a dedicated stop. Or is it a ply to get people to use the proposed streetcar?

Old 03-19-2014, 07:17 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,333,146 times
"HNTB recommends intercity passenger rail operations with maximum speeds of 79 mph, a rate that it said is competitive with car travel."

I'm all for more transit, but there are issues with this. It's competitive, time wise, ONLY if there is a major traffic situation on I-10 AND there are no freight trains using these 'shared' tracks. We all know how fast and reliable those Amtrak trains are when they're using existing freight tracks... Riders also will need additional time to get to/from the station/final destination. That 95 minutes is a bare minimum.

It will be a tough sell on south Louisianians to climb out of their cars and effectively double their travel time.

IMO, if they're not building a dedicated ROW, then they're better off just bringing back the LA Swift.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:38 AM

There's about half of the people in the BR MSA that's about a good 80mi away from the CBD. You're not doubling your travel time when you consider parking, traffic, and walking to your destination (considering it will likely be in the CBD). Driving to New Orleans has become a hassle, there's constant traffic in both lanes the entire way.
I think it needs to be faster, and preferably it's own ROW but then comes in higher costs and good ol' LA red tape.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:00 PM

105 posts, read 153,360 times
What is the time difference between rail and car, what is the price difference, will it take traffic away from Baton Rouge Regional Airport since Louis Armstrong International will be more competitive (no parking costs).

Who is the average rider? The most successful rails systems have dedicated ridership, Dallas (hospital workers along the service route), New York (commuting business men), etc.

I am not for transit, I am for efficient transit. People in Baton Rouge are averse to public almost anything. The bus system officials...some are just so complacent its tragic (I know this from personal experience not bias). Now a rail service from Louis Armstrong International Airport to Downtown, that's a better sell (many tourists all headed for conventions downtown). Put it elevated along Airline Highway.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:39 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,933,817 times
The majority of BTR's potential traffic already comes to MSY. This isn't intraurban rail like Dallas or NYC, this is commuter rail. The dedicated traffic is people going to Baton Rouge for government functions, college, etc. and to NOLA for the airport, business, the Quarter, etc. It should be cheaper than a car for many people when you add in the cost of gas, wear and tear, parking, etc. The IRS currently allows a deduction of a little more than 50c per mile traveled so $10 is the equivalent of a 20 mile round trip.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:45 PM

It will take business from BTR. The average rider is the college kid (30k at LSU alone), Saints/Pelicans/LSU fans, employees, and everyone else for entertainment.
They have to build it right, otherwise it's a pointless venture.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:43 PM

105 posts, read 153,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
The majority of BTR's potential traffic already comes to MSY. This isn't intraurban rail like Dallas or NYC, this is commuter rail. The dedicated traffic is people going to Baton Rouge for government functions, college, etc. and to NOLA for the airport, business, the Quarter, etc. It should be cheaper than a car for many people when you add in the cost of gas, wear and tear, parking, etc. The IRS currently allows a deduction of a little more than 50c per mile traveled so $10 is the equivalent of a 20 mile round trip.
All the questions weren't answered.

You have to consider the times of service, it will not be 24/7 and NOLA has a big nightlife.
I have parked for free in Downtown NOLA. Many college kids go to NOLA 3 deep so $10-$20 is not that much.

Business? Is the business on the rail line? How will you travel from the rail to Uptown? In New York you take a taxi, but the vast wealth of NYC affords people this option, so cost i s not an issue. It is a matter of logistics; and I see this as a losers game if you believe you can win people from their habits based off of ...I am not even sure what the practical advantage will be except for a 20 minute time advantage when there is heavy traffic.

If you guys want the system, you need to have your arguments solid with examples and stuff. San Jose to Stockton, CA is an 164 mile round trip (82 miles one way) and it currently costs $23 on AceRail. Thats 6 gallons of gas in California or a 160-190 miles round trip + convenience (no driving to the transit station, no buying a ticket, no waiting for the train, no stops along the way, etc). 7 gallons of gas in Louisiana or +200 miles.

Use examples. In Chicago the Commuter rail goes directly into the city and is faster than car because there are no Interstates in Chicago, same as NYC. In NOLA, there is. In Chicago and NYC, and Cali, the price of car ownership is higher (including gas). In Louisiana it is cheap.

This is a bad, need I say horrible idea as I see it presented on this site.

What do you do when the college kids aren't in school? When I was in college I never had $23 to spare
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans