U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2014, 11:02 PM

2 posts, read 1,727 times

Advertisements

Im an RN with 13 years of Labor and Delivery experience and Im headed for relocation in New Orleans. Any ideas on Hospitals ( feel free to include those to stay away from ) and birthing centers? I don't know much about New Orleans yet… location details would be awesome!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 11:58 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,617,418 times
Acquaintance works at Oschner in the cath lab and likes it. Really, though, variances unit/unit are so huge that it's impossible to advise. For example, I flat-out LOVE! my PCC and unit, while less then 50 feet away (vertically), I couldn't stand to work.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:49 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,735,093 times
Baptist and Touro both have maternity units in the city... Ochsner is the biggest local hospital, they own Baptist and have their unit there.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:43 PM

310 posts, read 821,743 times
I'm a GI nurse but if I were in L&D, I'd opt for Touro or Baptist (as said above). The Baptist operation is brand new so that would be another great option, but working for Ochsner has some downfalls, especially when it comes to pay. Having the experience you do might make a difference, though. Great hospital system for patients, not always so good to their employees. I had to get out of there but other people love it. That's a large, corporate hospital for you! Touro pays VERY well compared to Ochsner, BTW. I don't work at Touro, I just looked into it. GI wasn't an awesome place to be there. :-)

As far as hospitals go, other than Touro and Baptist, Tulane Lakeside Hospital is now Tulane Lakeside Hospital for Women and Children. I did my L&D rotation there in nursing school and loved it. They were great people. Ochsner also has hospitals in Kenner and on the West Bank (the L&D operation that was at the big Ochsner was what was moved to Baptist). You also have East Jefferson in Metairie and West Jefferson on the West Bank. Those 2 are going through some rough issues with what company is going to manage them, so there's some strife there. University Hospital does not have an L&D unit right now and I'm not sure about the main Tulane Hospital.

A good friend of mine is a nurse midwife and is really into natural birthing and the like. I'll ask her about birthing centers.

Last edited by Pook77; 04-16-2014 at 09:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans