U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 06:17 PM

9,781 posts, read 17,419,841 times

Advertisements

I don't think location is a problem. How is Houston's location any better than New Orleans? New Orleans isn't in the middle of nowhere, it's closer to the east coast than Houston. I think what you mean is infrastructure. And New Orleans' port is still important, it's strategic location at the mouth of the Mississippi was it's asset for years. It lacks air connections because it's fallen behind the likes of Houston.

The downtown seems pretty bustling, actually. It remains to be seen how New Orleans will begin to make a mark not only in tourism but overall again. Of course in it's golden days it was the biggest, most economically important city in the South...I wonder if it can recapture at least some of that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 06:56 PM

629 posts, read 822,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabe View Post
Are you kidding me?

Here in the murder rate for each of the past 40 years or so for the whole New Orleans Metropolitan Area.

New Orleans metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It should be noted that the highest the U.S. murder rate ever reached in any of these years was only a 10.6 (in 1980).

NEW ORLEANS METRO MURDER RATE BY YEAR
2012 - 29.8
2011 - 24.7
2010 - 20.9
2009 - 22.9
2008 - 21.9
2007 - 26.5
2006 - 25.5
2005 - 21.9
2004 - 24.6
2003 - 24.1
2002 - 23.5
2001 - 20.6
2000 - 15.4
1999 - 17.9
1998 - 20.9
1997 - 24.7
1996 - 30.4
1995 - 31.5
1994 - 37.1
1993 - 37.0
1992 - 27.4
1991 - 34.6
1990 - 23.4
1989 - 22.9
1988 - 20.3
1987 - 18.9
1986 - 24.7
1985 - 21.3
1984 - 25.6
1983 - 28.9
1982 - 35.7
1981 - 41.2
1980 - 42.3
1979 - 39.7
1978 - 38.6
1977 - 35.5
1976 - 33.1
1975 - 34.7
1974 - 31.0
1973 - 31.1
1972 - 29.8
1971 - 26.7
1970 - 27.8
1969 - 25.6
1968 - 34.5

And that's not even counting killings by the police.

NEW ORLEANS IS AND HAS BEEN FOREVER THE MOST DANGEROUS PLACE IN THA USA!!!!!!

Yearrrrrrme! - Ross Kemp New Orleans Gangsters! - YouTube
Thats the dumbest comment yet.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:33 PM

151 posts, read 261,025 times
I have to disagree with some of the posts here. New Orleans proper is not a safe place to live. Near my house in Metairie two years ago there were several car jackings on the west end exit towards New Orleans. There have been shootings at both Mardi Gras' in the last couple years, and there was a shooting during the parade near Hotel LeCirque (now the Blake hotel) during the Superbowl parade. I know these things for a fact because I work in the hotel industry.

However, that's not to say that the metro area is a bad place to live. New Orleans is a small area. The suburbs are gorgeous and mostly fairly modern and safe. Metairie, Kenner, River Ridge, Harahan... all good places. Personally I find Gentilly to be wayyyyy too far out. And Algiers would mean we'd have to cross the bridge during bad weather to get to work. Since we sometimes have to come in to work in the middle of the night, the bridge being shut down is a serious problem for us since we work in New Orleans.

Yes, the city has been working on increasing the safety. But whats been happening in the area during special events and even in Metairie (supposed to be a really good area to live in) is disturbing. Statistics or not.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:04 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,439,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moiraesfate View Post
I have to disagree with some of the posts here. New Orleans proper is not a safe place to live. Near my house in Metairie two years ago there were several car jackings on the west end exit towards New Orleans. There have been shootings at both Mardi Gras' in the last couple years, and there was a shooting during the parade near Hotel LeCirque (now the Blake hotel) during the Superbowl parade. I know these things for a fact because I work in the hotel industry.

However, that's not to say that the metro area is a bad place to live. New Orleans is a small area. The suburbs are gorgeous and mostly fairly modern and safe. Metairie, Kenner, River Ridge, Harahan... all good places. Personally I find Gentilly to be wayyyyy too far out. And Algiers would mean we'd have to cross the bridge during bad weather to get to work. Since we sometimes have to come in to work in the middle of the night, the bridge being shut down is a serious problem for us since we work in New Orleans.

Yes, the city has been working on increasing the safety. But whats been happening in the area during special events and even in Metairie (supposed to be a really good area to live in) is disturbing. Statistics or not.
I've never heard of the CCC getting shut down unless there's a hurricane actually hitting.

I know you said you didn't want to hear statistics, but the murder rate fell 20% last year and is down quite a bit again. I know it's not the safest city in the world; I actually just came back from talking to my neighbors about the dealing going on in my little part of Mid-City.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:58 PM

151 posts, read 261,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
I've never heard of the CCC getting shut down unless there's a hurricane actually hitting.

I know you said you didn't want to hear statistics, but the murder rate fell 20% last year and is down quite a bit again. I know it's not the safest city in the world; I actually just came back from talking to my neighbors about the dealing going on in my little part of Mid-City.
One of my staff members couldn't come in to work twice this past winter because the bridge between Algiers and New Orleans was shut down due to ice. And yes, I confirmed it when she said it was down because there is no way I wanted to come in to work to work 6 days that week just because she didn't want to come in.

Bourbon Street Shooting 2013; New Orleans Police Say 4 People Wounded

Navy investigation in fatal Norfolk shooting on Mardi Gras destroyer continues | NOLA.com

Police arrest suspect in New Orleans Mother's Day shooting - CNN.com

And thats only the start. I beg to differ. The statistics may say otherwise but these shootings were horrific. 19 people in the case of the last one I posted. I know people don't want to hear this stuff, especially if they love their city, but there's no use denying it either.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:11 PM

797 posts, read 1,233,348 times
New Orleans has already become an attractive place for many new transplants and such. It is also becoming safer with a dropping crime rate. Most of the negative things about New Orleans are pretty exaggerated, especially when compared to the cities that are seen as "superior". New Orleans is of course no where near the size of cities like Houston or Atlanta but when you look at things from a per-capita basis, New Orleans actually does pretty good for itself and does punch well above its weight. This requires looking up actual statistics and not going off ones own perceptions. Look at things like crime rates, GDP per-capita, unemployment rate, etc. and those things are comparable or even better in New Orleans. Even the tourism industry (leisure and hospitality) is only a small part of the New Orleans metro economy at about 15% of the workforce.

Examples. 2012 violent crime rate and property crime rate per 100,000 statistics for metro areas.
Atlanta 408.6 and 3552
New Orleans 483.1 and 3392.8
Houston 561.5 and 3576.9
FBI — Table 6

GDP per-capita 2011
Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown $67,781
New Orleans-Metairie-Kenner $67,299
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta $52,872
//www.city-data.com/forum/28369563-post36.html

Old 04-19-2014, 11:15 PM

797 posts, read 1,233,348 times
Quote:
One of my staff members couldn't come in to work twice this past winter because the bridge between Algiers and New Orleans was shut down due to ice. And yes, I confirmed it when she said it was down because there is no way I wanted to come in to work to work 6 days that week just because she didn't want to come in.

Navy investigation in fatal Norfolk shooting on Mardi Gras destroyer continues | NOLA.com

And thats only the start. I beg to differ. The statistics may say otherwise but these shootings were horrific. 19 people in the case of the last one I posted. I know people don't want to hear this stuff, especially if they love their city, but there's no use denying it either.
Citing some examples of crimes occurring does not really prove anything. Sadly many of these things happen in many US cities. Crime of course is going to happen in almost all places, even in the suburbs (like the carjackings in Metairie). You have to look up the overall crime statistics. When you do that you see that the New Orleans crime rate is not that bad and is actually comparable or lower than many other US cities (like Atlanta or Houston).

Last edited by Jimbo_1; 04-19-2014 at 11:59 PM..

Old 04-20-2014, 08:47 AM

62 posts, read 258,597 times
Quote:

That second link is to a story about a shooting that happened in Norfolk, VA, not New Orleans.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:50 AM

1,891 posts, read 2,557,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia33 View Post
That second link is to a story about a shooting that happened in Norfolk, VA, not New Orleans.
That's what happens when people paint in such broad strokes.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:12 PM

14,588 posts, read 21,174,725 times
Quote:
The freezes we had in south Louisiana caused I-10 to be shut down through all of Baton Rouge and I'm sure many if not all the river parishes. You shouldn't be surprised that a freeway in Louisiana shut down due to a very rare freeze. No one worked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or