U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 07:25 AM

640 posts, read 710,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard111 View Post
I agree that New Orleans is fabulous, but, as a place to live, it isn't as practical as places like Atlanta, Dallas or Houston. Those places have jobs, are more centrally located, schools are better, taxes are lower, crime is lower, etc.

How many corporations are HQ in New Orleans? How many great research universities or great research hubs are in New Orleans? What are the chances the "next big idea" will be coming from New Orleans (as opposed to someplace like Silicon Valley, NYC, or Austin)?

And NYC, while a huge tourist center like New Orleans, has so many other things to offer. New Orleans is really dependent on tourism, while for NYC, tourism is just one thing out of a thousand.

All that said, I would still prefer to live in NOLA over somewhere like Houston. It just isn't as practical to most folks.
Georgia public schools although ranked a LITTLE bit higher than Lousiana public schools is right at the bottom as well. FACT!!

Last edited by NativeSon504; 04-21-2014 at 07:38 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
I've never heard of the CCC getting shut down unless there's a hurricane actually hitting.

I know you said you didn't want to hear statistics, but the murder rate fell 20% last year and is down quite a bit again. I know it's not the safest city in the world; I actually just came back from talking to my neighbors about the dealing going on in my little part of Mid-City.

I grew up in Mid-City and certain parts have its problems but overall its pretty safe and not to mentioned is one of the MOST underrated neighbor in New Orleans.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
The freezes we had in south Louisiana caused I-10 to be shut down through all of Baton Rouge and I'm sure many if not all the river parishes. You shouldn't be surprised that a freeway in Louisiana shut down due to a very rare freeze. No one worked.
Same thing happened in Lafayette MOST people did not work because the bridges were closed due to freezes.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:47 PM

8 posts, read 15,407 times
They are working quite hard, yet really to improve the city they need to bolster the economy outside of tourism and shipping, that could really draw an educated populace to move to and settle down. Many people would love to move to and live in New Orleans, yet the problem is if you aren't in the know and in well connected circles, you will have a difficult time finding a job. I am a recent college graduate, and moved here on a whim, since my parents got divorced as soon as I got home from college, with both moving to other parts of the country, so I figured hey, I have to live somewhere, lets go to New Orleans. This was in October. I graduated from Rutgers University with a solid GPA in political science, which may not have been the best degree to get, yet thus far I have found zero luck with serious jobs, outside of sales jobs which I would hardly call legit work. That being said, I would love nothing more than to live here in the future, yet I've began to look elsewhere for work, specifically Texas, since they have so many more job opportunities, which NOLA, is unfortunately lacking. I will say that the city is improving, and I feel safe everywhere, though certain areas I wouldn't walk around by my lonesome after dark. Granted, that all depends on how comfortable you are in economically depressed urban areas. I spent most of my life in Iowa, yet have lived in Baltimore, urban New Jersey, and was living in Cairo during the revolution, which was literally a warzone, and love visiting urban places such as Detroit, Atlantic City, Philadelphia, Newark and other potentially seedy and dangerous cities, so my opinion may severely differ from the norm, yet if you keep your urban wits about you, you ought have no problems; I have had zero problems anyway. Mayor Mitch is seemingly trying, yet things move slow down in this part of the country. Sorry about the rant, yet really, if New Orleans could manage to attract a wide variety of businesses, then that is how I see this city really becoming a desirable destination for most to live. Also the education is in the pits, yet granted, so is the vast majority of the country (which is one thing I have to say is positive about Iowa, since the public schooling there is better than the private schools, though I realize this is rare in this country). Anyways that's my two cents.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:48 PM

8 posts, read 15,407 times
Also, for the amount people make, decent housing is outrageously expensive.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:21 PM

880 posts, read 1,034,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
New Orleans really DESERVES to be the New York of the South
You mean to become characterless, corporate sponsored, liberal stronghold only accessible to 1% elite, while everyone else is forced to move to suburbs and put money in a savings account for 6 months, so that they can go to a dinner, theater show and pay for parking in a safe and "attractive" manner?

Sure, why not. Only one question though - where will you move next when New Orleans becomes New York?

P.S. Just to explain my opinion - I've been working on Wall St. for the past 12 years, and have traveled to New Orleans for the past 16 years at least twice a year. It is my biggest fear that by the time I leave Northeast for NOLA it will be like New York, which means one of the greatest American culture cities will be gone and I'll have to find another place to live.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:00 PM

22,704 posts, read 11,853,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Despite problems with crime and other setbacks, NOLA is still a huge tourist draw for American and international tourists. After NYC I must say it's the most unique, characterful, unforgettable, stylish, fabulous, beguiling, atmospheric, eclectic, historic, interesting, fun and intoxicating (not to mention adjective-inspiring lol) city in the States. Anyway, partly given this, do you see New Orleans ever becoming an attractive place to visit but also to live? Do you think it's overall economy will bounce back, it's crime rate will drop.etc? What are the city planners.etc doing to make that happen? To address things like widespread poverty etc. New Orleans really DESERVES to be the New York of the South, IMO, it has more character in it's little finger than the likes of Houston or Atlanta.
I agree with this entire post. I grew up outside of New Orleans. I think it's improving but still has a way to go before I would feel safe enough to move back. I love all my visits there and I hope they get that crime rate under control and become a world class city.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:00 PM

629 posts, read 822,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_bank View Post
You mean to become characterless, corporate sponsored, liberal stronghold only accessible to 1% elite, while everyone else is forced to move to suburbs and put money in a savings account for 6 months, so that they can go to a dinner, theater show and pay for parking in a safe and "attractive" manner?

Sure, why not. Only one question though - where will you move next when New Orleans becomes New York?

P.S. Just to explain my opinion - I've been working on Wall St. for the past 12 years, and have traveled to New Orleans for the past 16 years at least twice a year. It is my biggest fear that by the time I leave Northeast for NOLA it will be like New York, which means one of the greatest American culture cities will be gone and I'll have to find another place to live.
I dont understand why people think you cant grow and diversify while keeping your character and charm in tact.....infuse the old with the new.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:13 PM

629 posts, read 822,062 times
There's a big tug of war going on in the lower 9th ward now where there is a company who wants to come in, redevelop the old holy cross school thats been sitting dormant housing rats and probably termites and who knows what else, but the neighbors are complaining that 75 feet will be too tall for that neighborhood......thats not that tall and is crazy to me that when someone wants to come in to that area, bring jobs and fix up something run down, opponents want to dismiss it..smh

Old 04-24-2014, 01:16 PM

14,588 posts, read 21,174,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_bank View Post

Never been to New York but I never understand this argument. When was New York not the city it is today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or