Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 10:50 AM

34 posts, read 52,518 times

Advertisements

Hi, All! Just found out I may move back to NOLA this Summer after 12 yrs away. This time, I have 1 elementary age & 1 pre-school age child. As it is mid-May, am I out of luck regarding the charter school process (not to mention, I have no idea how that system works)? I am fine with private schools, but fear I am too late to get them into good ones (which are...?). Also, how have neighborhoods changed, especially where are the safest/most desirable areas to live? I do a lot of reading online (including this forum), but the info is so contradictory... NOLA resurging v. NOLA is a high crime hovel... what's the take of the locals, especially transplants and/or parents of young kids? I would love to come back, but it has to be right for the whole family. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 11:35 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,340,165 times
See:
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-o...relo-nola.html

Just about any of the private/parochial schools are pretty solid.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:57 PM
ptt

497 posts, read 637,052 times
IMO ,The only private school in New Orleans I would put my kid in is Newman.

Isidore Newman School ~ Homepage

Old 05-28-2014, 09:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,579 times
I just moved back to NOLA after living away for 13 years. Now, I'm back with my two kids ages 6 and 4. Only positive I have about living here again is my family. It just depends on what you are looking for and what you like. I don't like living here. I wanted my kids to be closer to family so that's why I'm back. New Orleans offers culture, food, festivals, and liquor. I like having plenty of options for excellent schools both public and private, activities for my kids that don't always cost money, clean playgrounds and recreational centers, shopping, entertainment besides food and liquor and festivals. I want to feel relatively comfortable and safe in my environment. Something is always popping off here. Yes, it's usually restricted to certain areas but come on enough is enough with the killing. New Orleans and the surrounding metro area has not changed much since I was a kid growing up here. While second lines, great food, and friendly folks are good things, it's not all that you need in a city. You need a better infrastructure, schools, economy, and entertainment that is not mainly geared to adults and tourists. Also, the cost of living is closer to the higher end.
So, just think about what you want and what is important to you.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:23 AM

814 posts, read 1,475,274 times
It really depends on who you are and what you like. Some people will have a negative view of the city (like above) and some will have a positive view. I mean I love New Orleans and think New Orleans offers a lot (even for children) and is improving in many categories. I wouldn't take one person's opinion and act like it applies to me and is totally correct. I guess you will only really know once you do live here for a bit (and if you actually liked it when you lived here previously would help). The OP is definitely right about there being contradicting views.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:41 AM

415 posts, read 607,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanieblu View Post
I just moved back to NOLA after living away for 13 years. Now, I'm back with my two kids ages 6 and 4. Only positive I have about living here again is my family. It just depends on what you are looking for and what you like. I don't like living here. I wanted my kids to be closer to family so that's why I'm back. New Orleans offers culture, food, festivals, and liquor. I like having plenty of options for excellent schools both public and private, activities for my kids that don't always cost money, clean playgrounds and recreational centers, shopping, entertainment besides food and liquor and festivals. I want to feel relatively comfortable and safe in my environment. Something is always popping off here. Yes, it's usually restricted to certain areas but come on enough is enough with the killing. New Orleans and the surrounding metro area has not changed much since I was a kid growing up here. While second lines, great food, and friendly folks are good things, it's not all that you need in a city. You need a better infrastructure, schools, economy, and entertainment that is not mainly geared to adults and tourists. Also, the cost of living is closer to the higher end.
I agree with you on most of what you said. We are in the process of moving out of state to get our child a better education than he can get here. I also am not a fan of the weather or drunk culture here at this time in my life. However New Orleans does have nice festivals (to get drunk at), Mardi Gras (to get drunk at), crawfish boils (to get drunk at), and is warmer than most places if you like that sort of thing. The old architecture is unique and the city can be fun in small doses. I'm sure OP has researched and will make the right choice for his/her family. I guess I'd say my favorite private school is Metairie Country Day our here.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:10 PM
yr5

16 posts, read 19,454 times
Quote:

I CONCUR! I tend to believe that people who never leave New Orleans have a very subjective view, and probably would confuse your point Deanieblu, by thinking you were being Negative. When in fact you are only speaking truth.

I am not from New Orleans, but I did have children while I resided there. Recently, because of my children being preschool age, I decided it was within their best interest, educationally, for us to relocate out of New Orleans. I should not have to choose between placing them in a nationally ranked D+ educational system or pay a "second mortgage" for decent education.

Jindal is under the microscope with Duncan (Secre. of Ed.), lets see how he appropriates his new preschool educational funds.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:17 PM
yr5

16 posts, read 19,454 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metairie View Post
I agree with you on most of what you said. We are in the process of moving out of state to get our child a better education than he can get here. I also am not a fan of the weather or drunk culture here at this time in my life. However New Orleans does have nice festivals (to get drunk at), Mardi Gras (to get drunk at), crawfish boils (to get drunk at), and is warmer than most places if you like that sort of thing. The old architecture is unique and the city can be fun in small doses. I'm sure OP has researched and will make the right choice for his/her family. I guess I'd say my favorite private school is Metairie Country Day our here.

I think Metairie Park Country Day is okay if you like the Multiage Curriculum and can afford to make that kind of monetary investment for young pupils.

New Orleans is very limited...your pickings are slim when it comes to activity locations, its going to be the same thing over and over. Life can get pretty boring after a while.

Old 03-06-2015, 05:41 PM

860 posts, read 1,193,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yr5 View Post
I think Metairie Park Country Day is okay if you like the Multiage Curriculum and can afford to make that kind of monetary investment for young pupils.

New Orleans is very limited...your pickings are slim when it comes to activity locations, its going to be the same thing over and over. Life can get pretty boring after a while.
I'm not understanding how NOLA is limited on activities compared to other cities. My daughter is 8 and we always have lots of options. Compared to the other cities I've lived in, New Orleans has just as much if not more to do. They all have parks, playgrounds, museums, zoo's, etc, but with New Orleans you can add festivals every other weekend, and they are not just for drunk people. My daughter loves them.

My family moved here from just North of Atlanta in an area known for good schools. My oldest daughter started at Lusher in the 10th grade and she was shocked at how much harder it was. She says college is a breeze compared to high school. When she was a freshman she was tutoring sophomores who graduated from other high schools. I know Lusher is one of the good schools, but I think many of the schools are getting better here.

Just thought I'd add a little positive to all the negative.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:34 AM

639 posts, read 820,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norb123 View Post
I'm not understanding how NOLA is limited on activities compared to other cities. My daughter is 8 and we always have lots of options. Compared to the other cities I've lived in, New Orleans has just as much if not more to do. They all have parks, playgrounds, museums, zoo's, etc, but with New Orleans you can add festivals every other weekend, and they are not just for drunk people. My daughter loves them.

My family moved here from just North of Atlanta in an area known for good schools. My oldest daughter started at Lusher in the 10th grade and she was shocked at how much harder it was. She says college is a breeze compared to high school. When she was a freshman she was tutoring sophomores who graduated from other high schools. I know Lusher is one of the good schools, but I think many of the schools are getting better here.

Just thought I'd add a little positive to all the negative.

Your positivity is well appreciated my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans