U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2014, 12:09 PM

32 posts, read 66,891 times

Advertisements

Hello
Has there been any "new" news on flood maps for the city? I was told that they were re-drawing maps and would come out this year. I just bought a house right on the border of an A-2 and a B zone and was hoping the map would take the house out of the a-2 zone.
The people that had the house before me paid $600 but had a longstanding policy. I am getting quotes for $2000.

Also, I was told i could get a better rate if I have a flood elevation certificate done (cost $250) but others have told me that probably will not help just in case the results are published "somewhere" ( and could actually increase my rates?)

PS the house is in algiers
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 01:47 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,710,776 times
Even my agent isn't really sure what is going on. I've searched the internet in the past, and found nothing.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:06 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,189,767 times
If your first floor elevation is above the BFE for that "A" zone, then your rates will be around $600 or less which is comparable to being in an X or B zone anyway. You will need an elevation certificate to prove that to your insurance company. If you're property is on the border of a B-Zone and you have a raised house, then I would be willing to bet that your first floor is well above the BFE.

You can see the "proposed but not in effect yet" as well as the current flood maps here: ~Flood Information Portal for Orleans County, LA~
On the left side you can check the "Flood Hazard Areas" to see the effective and preliminary proposed flood zoning. You can even check the "change layer" to view how the proposed zones have changed things.

MOST people in New Orleans will benefit if and when these new maps take effect. Non-flood zones will expand and BFEs will drop. In the few pockets that are negatively affected by the zoning, it doesn't mean that there will be a blanket rate increase. That will depend on the construction and elevation of the individual house and the elevation of the ground that it sits on.

Take a look at an elevation map. Here's one: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...tchartrain.jpg You should be able to get an approximate idea of how high the land is around your property. From there, you'll have a good idea of weather your first floor is above the BFE for your zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of: