Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 01:43 PM

78 posts, read 85,916 times

Advertisements

Well, I gave it a shot for 2 months here.. NOT what I expected.. Couldnt make a dime while here, stayed homeless, suffering, and hot as hell while here.. This city is set up for the rich and tourists only!! The the humidity with literally KILL certain people(like me).. And theres almost NO homeless services here whatsoever, and the few places that claim to "help" all stuff religion down the throat of helpless needy people.. The grocery stores are ALL high priced, and have very little compared to "normal" grocery stores(like food 4 less, smiths, albertsons, etc) and the normal cheap grocery stores dont even EXIST here.. So if you are receiving food stamps, and have to try to eat from that, you are screwed!! Im done with this place, its literally a steaming hellhole.. heading to cooler climes... Good riddance NOLA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 03:18 PM

327 posts, read 599,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorjpj1 View Post
Well, I gave it a shot for 2 months here.. NOT what I expected.. Couldnt make a dime while here, stayed homeless, suffering, and hot as hell while here.. This city is set up for the rich and tourists only!! The the humidity with literally KILL certain people(like me).. And theres almost NO homeless services here whatsoever, and the few places that claim to "help" all stuff religion down the throat of helpless needy people.. The grocery stores are ALL high priced, and have very little compared to "normal" grocery stores(like food 4 less, smiths, albertsons, etc) and the normal cheap grocery stores dont even EXIST here.. So if you are receiving food stamps, and have to try to eat from that, you are screwed!! Im done with this place, its literally a steaming hellhole.. heading to cooler climes... Good riddance NOLA
Good luck in your endeavors. San Francisco might be a better city for you.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:46 PM

Well, 75 degrees as a high in the middle of summer! I can deal with that a hell of a LOT easier!!! And very cool at nighttime.. Compared the dantes inferno that is new orleans!! Plus plenty of places for homeless to eat in downtown san fran.. So long, big "easy"! haha

Old 07-12-2014, 04:02 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,834,461 times
Well up north you'll have to worry about the cold, which can kill as well. I read this past winter there were many homeless that literally froze to the pavement up north.

The West Coast and San Francisco would be better.

Now may I ask how does a homeless have access to a computer?

Old 07-12-2014, 04:56 PM

323 posts, read 498,417 times
I grew up on the west coast. When I was a child 50 years ago there were no beggars and homeless. There was a hobo camp down by the railroad tracks in a hay field you were supposed to stay away from. I lived in Texas for 40 years, then came back. Now, the west coast is wall to wall homeless. I have never seen anything like it. They stream up and down the west coast from Washington state to Portland to Crescent City to the Bay area to LA. On every corner and highway ramp, they are flying signs anything helps god bless. They always say god bless, although many are obviously drunk and somehow have money for cigarettes. In Portland they crap on the sidewalks and some lie there passed out with a needle in their arm. They 'camp' in the woods and parks and trash the place, furnishing their camps with things stolen from people's yards. In the county where I live, a law was just passed that you cannot pass money to them in the street. Grants pass has the same law. This is to discourage them and they will move on. Cities that make nice nice to the homeless become like Roach Motels. They come there and do not leave. When accosted while trying to make it to and from my car in a parking lot, I say "Give you $5? I was going to ask YOU for $5 and keep walking. I saw one guy go up to the car of a woman just come back from shopping with her kids. She opened the window a crack and he just started SCREAMING at her. The little children were so scared they started crying. This makes me mad as hell. I have never seen anything like it. It is like my country has become a third world country. I Brookings Oregon this week, a bum with a pellet gun shot the dog of some kids and she had to have her leg amputated. Need I go on?

Old 07-12-2014, 06:47 PM

9,133 posts, read 5,781,089 times
Mebbie the first time I heard a city condemned
for being a lousy place to be homeless.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:20 PM

643 posts, read 973,623 times
Dont let the welcome sign hit you where God split ya.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:55 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,850,992 times
Yea I hear ya dude, cause I work in that screamin hot New Orleans sun, drink lots of cold water, it aint no joke.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:59 PM

41 posts, read 58,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post

Now may I ask how does a homeless have access to a computer?
I don't know if they do in New Orleans, but lots of libraries have computers for public access. If not, I've pulled older but perfectly functional computers from college dumpsters when the students leave for the summer. It's amazing what people throw away.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip N Sawbones View Post
I don't know if they do in New Orleans, but lots of libraries have computers for public access. If not, I've pulled older but perfectly functional computers from college dumpsters when the students leave for the summer. It's amazing what people throw away.
Actually when I was in portland oregon for 10 months, almost EVERY homeless bum has a laptop! Maybe 80 percent!! Its very common...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans