Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2014, 06:40 AM

6 posts, read 60,978 times

Advertisements

I've traveled through New Orleans a few times but never had the opportunity to stop and explore the city. But I've researched the city including the RTA system. I've dug through the internet archives and found a link to an old system map of RTA from 2005 detailing the 3 streetcar lines and lots of bus routes covering the entire city. http://web.archive.org/web/200701231..._05/System.pdf

From looking at it on the surface, NOLA seemed to be very transit friendly but I'm just assuming. Many lines running frequent as 15 minutes or less, lots of hourly coverage with some 24 hour service, plenty of different express non stop service to CBD and crosstown options for people not going downtown. Also Canal had buses continuous.

Now coverage of this today:
http://www.norta.com/RTA/media/RTA-P...-SystemMap.pdf

But I want a local perspective from longtime NOLA residents and former residents about how transit friendly was the city. I bet it would really suck that the city is probably forced to become car-dependent since I've heard horror stories in recent years of waiting times between buses on fewer routes and a smaller bus fleet. Any perspective would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 11:02 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,944,421 times
Because of the compact layout of much the city, transit has held on in New Orleans in a way that it hasn't in some other cities. I think the Broad Street line is the most heavily traveled in the south.

Old 08-02-2014, 04:53 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
I think the Broad Street line is the most heavily traveled in the south.
I read that somewhere.

New Orleans has more streetcars in operation and more in the pipe but much less bus routes covering the areas they previously did. Partly because of lack of density in certain neighborhoods post-storm.
What bothers me is the continuation of the slow streetcar plans. Who is going to ride that from Chalmette?! How late will the UNO students be?

Old 08-04-2014, 08:35 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,339,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
I think the Broad Street line is the most heavily traveled in the south.
Both the Canal and St. Charles Streetcar lines have much higher ridership than the Broad bus line.

See: http://media.nola.com/politics/other...ata%202012.pdf

Old 08-04-2014, 09:34 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,944,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
Both the Canal and St. Charles Streetcar lines have much higher ridership than the Broad bus line.

See: http://media.nola.com/politics/other...ata%202012.pdf
Neat link. I didn't know that that many people use the Riverfront Streetcar.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:36 AM

640 posts, read 1,225,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I read that somewhere.

New Orleans has more streetcars in operation and more in the pipe but much less bus routes covering the areas they previously did. Partly because of lack of density in certain neighborhoods post-storm.
What bothers me is the continuation of the slow streetcar plans. Who is going to ride that from Chalmette?! How late will the UNO students be?
I take the St. Charles line daily and it's not that much slower. Buses can be faster when there's no traffic but it sure is nice passing up traffic on the neutral ground in a streetcar. Of course, if the Magazine bus came as often as the Streetcar it might be faster. Hard to really say.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:50 PM

643 posts, read 977,527 times
I know I've said this b4, but light rail is the way to go....like the D.C. Metro
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans