U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2007, 07:28 AM

772 posts, read 4,123,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald120 View Post
Really? Where's this proof or is this just hearsay because I heard opposite.

This whole "mixed-income" BS is nothing but a ploy to further shrink the size of New Orleans (it was announced that there won't be 1:1 replacement); thus, further disenfranchising the pre-Katrina makeup of the city.

It's funny that someone brought up government dependency, but yet these new developments planned to replace the projects will still be majority rental properties, so where's the independence in that? Explain how will this provide any further benefit for the people who was living in these projects beyond the superficial rhetoric spewed by the mainstream media. Reminds me of what was told to the Treme residents in 1960's to get I-10 built.

The biggest thing that concerns me is the underlying corruption that's being swept under the rug by the local media. Hardly any of the media channels are even discussing the investigation that was conducted on Alphonso Jackson. But I guess since it affects those folks in the projects, this doesn't matter.

Oh, I really am fond of that comment of how the people should just shoot the savages dead. Very progessive thinking there, reminds me of the good ol' days when the good ol' boys used to beat those lazy, untamed savages with their clubs and hose them down with fire hydrants because they want to stand up for something they believe in. Very 1960's of you. Gotta love good ol' progression.

Gotta love good ol' pretentious undertones.
Thanks, I was pretty fond of my comment as well.

Why is the notion of shooting to kill those who attack police officers and potentially put their lives in danger not progressive? Make an example of a few of them, put your foot down instead of being a wimp. That's what this country has been reduced to: tasering and macing those who attempt to harm authority figures. In this country we do have the right to peaceably assemble, but my friend we do not have the right to threaten or harm those in positions of authority. Those who do should be shot and killed by the police, no questions asked. Bury their bodies under the rubble of the demolished buildings, set it all ablaze, and forget about it. Then see which one of those idiots wants to be the next 'martyr' and give him the same treatment.

As far as government dependance, you're far more independant if you're paying your own rent as opposed to the government paying it for you. Where do you see a renter as being dependant? Renting isn't the wisest choice in every case, but in some cases it makes perfect sense. Why would you consider someone who pays his/her own money to rent living quarters as dependant as someone who allows the government to pay all or most of their rent? You can't even compare the two situations.

Moderator cut: edited

Last edited by Sam I Am; 12-26-2007 at 11:10 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 07:29 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,020,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
I'd like to note that despite the racial divisions on the City Council, the demolitions were UNANIMOUSLY approved.
And the NO Police Superintendent supported the demolition as well. He said:

"...if you put all impoverished people in the same place, you're going to have problems," adding, "poverty ultimately will evolve into a criminal situation, that's a simple fact..."

So you have a racially split City Council that approved the demolition 7-0, and the Police Superintendent supporting it. Only out of state troublemakers and John Edwards (who, last time I checked, doesn't live in New Orleans, La) want to keep the poor in 60 year old health hazards.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:51 PM

1,127 posts, read 4,649,125 times
Thank God those things are going. I hope all those out of town protesters go home now that it's over with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans