U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 05:12 PM

9 posts, read 27,856 times

Advertisements

My wife is a store supervisor for Trader Joe's and we have recently been discussing the possibility of relocating to New Orleans if and when they open a store there. I have had a longstanding affinity for the city and we have both been there for our honeymoon and vacations and love the city through and through. I guess I am curious what would be some reasons locals would not want to live there if they were on the outside looking in?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 09:28 AM

41 posts, read 55,443 times
We relocated to New Orleans in June 2013 from Portland, Oregon. We love it very much, however, in my opinion you have to really love it here, warts and all, if you're going to be a successful transplant.

The biggest thing that was almost a deal breaker for us was schools. I am adamantly pro-public education and living here isn't as simple as moving into a good neighborhood with a good neighborhood school. That said, if you are extremely proactive and the timing is right, there are good public schools, and there is a nice young progressive movement of parents who would like to see public schools successful and equitable for all the children of New Orleans. Unfortunately, you still need a bit of luck and the public schools here are all charter and vary wildly in quality. The majority of New Orleans school children still attend private or parochial schools and the public school system is hugely segregated. If you don't have kids, it's probably a lot easier!

The roads are atrocious. The drivers are just as bad. Biking feels like a death wish. Bugs. Crime and poverty. The infrastructure is abysmal. Corruption abounds.

But overall, all of the negatives for us are far outweighed by the positives. We have tried to bring some of our West Coast positives to the city, but first and foremost remain reverential and respectful to the soul of New Orleans. We moved here to be New Orleanians, not to change it to what we want it to be, and that's key I think.

Also, I would cry happy tears if we got a TJ's here!

Last edited by PdxtoNola; 08-08-2014 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: Added Addendum

Old 08-08-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdxtoNola View Post
We relocated to New Orleans in June 2013 from Portland, Oregon. We love it very much, however, in my opinion you have to really love it here, warts and all, if you're going to be a successful transplant.

The biggest thing that was almost a deal breaker for us was schools. I am adamantly pro-public education and living here isn't as simple as moving into a good neighborhood with a good neighborhood school. That said, if you are extremely proactive and the timing is right, there are good public schools, and there is a nice young progressive movement of parents who would like to see public schools successful and equitable for all the children of New Orleans. Unfortunately, you still need a bit of luck and the public schools here are all charter and vary wildly in quality. The majority of New Orleans school children still attend private or parochial schools and the public school system is hugely segregated. If you don't have kids, it's probably a lot easier!

The roads are atrocious. The drivers are just as bad. Biking feels like a death wish. Bugs. Crime and poverty. The infrastructure is abysmal. Corruption abounds.

But overall, all of the negatives for us are far outweighed by the positives. We have tried to bring some of our West Coast positives to the city, but first and foremost remain reverential and respectful to the soul of New Orleans. We moved here to be New Orleanians, not to change it to what we want it to be, and that's key I think.

Also, I would cry happy tears if we got a TJ's here!
Honestly not too worried about the schools. My wife and I both agreed that if we were to move we would put off starting a family for the duration we are there. Plus bad roads/infrastructure and corruption is nothing new or us (Chicago natives lol). The thing that concerns me most would be the crime. We know we would like to live in the Bayou St. John area, but with the odd hours my wife would be working (working as late as 12am and going to work as early as 5am) there is some concern. She's lived on her own for a few months in Europe and and I went to school for law enforcement, so she's had the importance of situational awareness drilled into her more than most, but still crime can happen anytime.

And we truly do love that city, even with all of its flaws its has a soul and character unlike anywhere we have ever been.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:53 PM

15,857 posts, read 24,007,538 times
Where is she working?

Old 08-08-2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Where is she working?
rumor is that IF Trader Joe's open down there, it will be around the Winn Dixie on Veteran's Blvd

Old 08-10-2014, 12:00 PM

12,063 posts, read 12,523,938 times
It took years of rumors of TJ's coming to Texas before it came to fruition. In other words, don't count on it anytime soon.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
It took years of rumors of TJ's coming to Texas before it came to fruition. In other words, don't count on it anytime soon.
oh i know, my wife and I have moved twice with Trader Joe's already. We're just hoping for the best with the Baton Rouge store opening almost a year ago.

Old 08-11-2014, 05:06 PM

15,857 posts, read 24,007,538 times
Every time I pass by TJ's it's packed so I really so no reason why New Orleans and even Lafayette doesn't have one yet.

Old 08-11-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Every time I pass by TJ's it's packed so I really so no reason why New Orleans and even Lafayette doesn't have one yet.
yeah they have some sort of secret formula they use for opening stores.

Old 08-11-2014, 05:51 PM

does anyone have any knowledge of the preserve apartments? i remember driving past them last time I was down there, but didn't get to check them out. We toured American Can, but I dont feel like you get enough for the money there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans