U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 11:37 AM

6 posts, read 16,213 times

Advertisements

Moving from Houston to New Orleans in October.. Ive lived in Houston for 6months and it sucks.. no culture and way to spread out for me. As soon as my lease is up, I am moving new the New Orleans area.. I grew up around Biloxi. I remember the city mostly before the storm.. How is it now? What areas are best to live? I'm planning a trip over soon to look for a house to rent and I'd like to make a list. What areas are good ? What should I stay away from? I'm looking for a house.. with a yard. Any help appreciated
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 02:36 PM

1,545 posts, read 3,084,893 times
I just got back from NOLA, It was great! Most of the neighborhoods seemed OK and the people were very friendly. I explored the neighborhoods on foot and by trolly car, what I liked best about Nawalins is that you dont need a car! also the food, the fried chicken at Mothers is the best!

Old 08-23-2014, 02:48 PM

137 posts, read 255,916 times
I love Algiers. It's a very charming area, lots of beautiful single family homes.

It's where Louis Armstrong is from.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:28 PM

151 posts, read 276,576 times
Kenner, Metairie, River Ridge, Harahan are the best areas. Algiers is good too but its across the river and the bridge can be hell with the traffic. Keep in mind that the rest of the areas near Algiers on that side of the river have high crime ratings. And not all areas in those location are good either. Chantilly the prices are good and the cost of housing is fairly low but it was badly damaged during Katrina so take that as you will. Lakeview is a great place but the prices for everything from mortgage to rent are very high to match. It was also one of the worst damaged areas from Katrina at it was on the bad side of 17th street canal when it broke.

If you look at the crime maps, New Orleans proper has the highest crime along the coast of Louisiana.

Prices... the most expensive area is the French Quarter and anything around it, including the Warehouse District. If you make alot of money, it won't matter so much but the living area will likely be small and high in price. It's also high in crime. Keep in mind there have been several shootings in and around the Quarter in the last couple years.

The further you get out from there, the better the prices become but New Orleans itself is the most expensive area.

Metairie is cheaper and more modern with most houses dating from around 1940's-1960's. Though there are some houses that are older as the area became settled around the late 1700's. Prices are a bit high to match. It's actually a fairly coveted area. River Ridge is newer with price slightly cheaper than Metairie.

Algiers, Chantilly, and Kenner all run around the same price with fairly new housing (built 1970's and newer). Prices are fair in these areas but you will need to drive a bit to get to New Orleans if that's where you're working so keep that in mind.

I talk about prices but please remember something... if you buy, you will need homeowners insurance. It's high. As in... we are currently working on buying our house (appraisal was done yesterday so we're waiting to hear back on Monday or Tuesday) and our HOI is $2550 a year. If you rent, I highly recommend rental insurance but I'm not sure how much that costs. Since insurance skyrocketed after Katrina, I imagine it's not cheap. I HIGHLY recommend flood insurance, and that is a different price depending on where you live in the city. Some areas don't require flood insurance since they are flood zone x which means its around $400 a year if you want it. Some areas are extremely high in the thousands of dollars a year range (generally thats for big expensive houses though). Ours is going to be $809 a year. With the mortgage, PL, flood insurance, PMI, and HOI, our monthly costs are going to be about $1200 in Kenner not far from the airport.

Rent is actually terrible in this city. The same house that we purchased would be roughly $2000 a month in rent. And tenants don't have hardly any rights in New Orleans or the metro (things are a bit different in Kenner because it's a different city). You'll find out the hard way that it's its not unusual for just living costs to be about 50% of your paychecks, though that includes bills like water and gas and electricity, sometimes more.

New Orleans is not a cheap place to live, mostly because of the insurance. And the rents went up almost three times the amount after Katrina and have never gone back down.

So to cap it off, I suggest that you not live in New Orleans unless your salary is high, or you will live in a pit or a tiny little place. Metairie, Kenner, River Ridge, Harahan, Gentilly, And Algiers are all much more reasonable.

When searching for a place, I suggest using two websites to determine where to live. Realtor.com has the most updated listings in both purchasing and renting, and Trulia.com has crime ratings but is NOT the most update to date site other than the crime ratings. I found zillow to be virtually useless as they aren't up to date, don't have crime ratings, and their zestimates are near worthless. I really don't suggest purchasing anything through those websites or using any of the realtors. If you'd like a name for a realtor, message me and I'll give the name of the one we used because she's simply wonderful. Other sites belonging to the big realtor companies are only up to date if the seller is actually using that realtor.

Good luck.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:32 PM

15,826 posts, read 23,893,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
I just got back from NOLA, It was great! Most of the neighborhoods seemed OK and the people were very friendly. I explored the neighborhoods on foot and by trolly car, what I liked best about Nawalins is that you dont need a car! also the food, the fried chicken at Mothers is the best!
It's a streetcar and it's New Orleans. But you're excused this one time.

To moiraesfate, he came from Houston to escape places like River Ridge, Harahan, and Kenner.

You suggest him not to live in New Orleans but suggest Gentilly and Algeirs? (to the OP, they are both neighborhoods in New Orleans proper)

Are you looking to buy or rent? What are you other desires for a neighborhood?

Old 08-23-2014, 10:34 PM

8,487 posts, read 3,700,756 times
The Garden District, but it is really expensive.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:26 PM

151 posts, read 276,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
It's a streetcar and it's New Orleans. But you're excused this one time.

To moiraesfate, he came from Houston to escape places like River Ridge, Harahan, and Kenner.

You suggest him not to live in New Orleans but suggest Gentilly and Algeirs? (to the OP, they are both neighborhoods in New Orleans proper)

Are you looking to buy or rent? What are you other desires for a neighborhood?
Oy, look at what I actually said and the locations of those areas. Gentilly and Algiers are neighborhoods that are far from the main New Orleans area. The Quarter, Garden District, CBD, Irish Channel, Faubourg Lafayette, Faubourg Marigny, Broadmoor, Treme, Uptown, and all areas adjoining to them are high crime. Since I'm willing to bet that you won't look it up, I've attached a crime map to this post.

The red and orange are the French Quarter and surrounding areas. Gentilly it up on the right where the green is, and Algiers is down on the right where the green is. That's from today. The numbers are the number of crimes that have occurred in that area recently. Though most of them will be things like domestic disturbances, there are some rapes and murders in there too. The farther out you go, the less of the violent crimes you see.
Attached Thumbnails
Moving to New Orleans.. What areas are good??-untitled.png  

Old 08-24-2014, 05:07 PM

15,826 posts, read 23,893,331 times
Algeirs is right next to "the main New Orleans area", whatever that is. And you can't even see it in that image you attached. There's also crime in Kenner, Metry, the East, Hollygrove, Westbank...

Old 08-24-2014, 07:02 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,716,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Algeirs is right next to "the main New Orleans area", whatever that is. And you can't even see it in that image you attached. There's also crime in Kenner, Metry, the East, Hollygrove, Westbank...
You really have no idea how to debate.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:36 PM

6 posts, read 16,213 times
thanks for your reply.. Im definitely looking to rent for now.. I don't mind living in a suburb.. just not one forever away.. for example.. I live almost 30 miles west of downtown Houston.. id like to keep it within 15 miles of the city.. if not in the city itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans