Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 12:20 AM

56 posts, read 84,374 times

Advertisements

We have big (sewer) roaches here in Phoenix. I don't think a day goes by that we don't kill one in either our kitchen or bathroom. In fact, we keep our toothbrushes in the refrigerator! But no matter how many times you encounter them, you just never get used to them. Are they really bad down there? Are there parts of the city where they aren't as bad? Can we actually leave our toothbrushes out in the open?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 05:59 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,282,773 times
You will encounter them, but as long as you're clean and don't leave water around then you should be fine.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:52 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,782,797 times
There are those roaches that come from outside and there's nothing you can do about those. But you will rarely see them unless you have a habit of leaving doors and windows open.

Like annie said though keep everything clean and dry and also keep your drains plugged when you're not using them. That should keep your pest count down to a minimum.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:10 PM

Last night after I posted the question, I went into the kitchen to find one on the kitchen counter! Aaargh. I didn't know they liked standing water. You would think I would be an expert by now. Thanks for the advice! I'll start practicing now.

ALL of the drains? What do you plug them with? Plugs? (Sorry if that's a stupid question.)

Old 09-10-2014, 10:10 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,282,773 times
Those little white or black rubber plugs, my grandma used to have them in her old house. Roaches love water, which is why you see them in the bathroom and kitchen mostly.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:12 PM

Makes sense. Maybe they also come up through the drains? But I heard it was too slippery for 'em. We were putting in a toilet; the sewer pipe had been blocked up with a tin can and a rag for years. When we took out the stuff blocking it, I saw a big sewer roach hanging out in there. It's disgusting to think they're just hanging out in/around your house.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:47 PM

151 posts, read 290,541 times
Sewer roaches? The roaches in New Orleans live on the banana trees and eat the wood. They aren't interested in you at all but sometimes manage to make it into buildings. Not much you can do about it other than try to make sure holes, door jams, windows, etc are well sealed and that they can't still find a way in. Yes, they're gross. You get used to it. Just boot them outside or kill them when you find them. It's the little roaches you need to worry about. If you find those ones, you need an exterminator asap.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,237 times
Default Roaches

Hey, I'm more of a naturalist, and there is a very good product called (diatomaceous earth) check it out,
And believe it or not I have found some very interesting info on horse apples. Do your research.
R.Q.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:01 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,984,168 times
When I lived in a shotgun in Midtown, they would always make their way into my house. Not sure if it was because of under the house (a lot of stuff under there that wasn't cleaned post-Katrina) or because the house was poorly built. One time I left clean dishes in the sink and there was one on it's back in the water dead!

I did live by Bayou St. John on Orleans, so I'm sure that had a lot to do with it. I ended up having to move & ended up in Metairie.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:54 PM

Okay, so I know to stay away from Bayou St. John!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans