Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 11:50 AM

1,901 posts, read 3,083,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Never. Mostly because the NYC ones are always quite pleasant. The only annoyance I ever felt with TV on NYC was when Letterman would make jokes about someone being mugged every 10 seconds, and showing the same guy getting mugged every 10 seconds. Just didn't like it because it promoted the fear of NYC among people who'd never been there.

But, I'd say most movies with NYC in it, are quite favorable towards NYC.
I have to agree. Every depiction I see of NYC makes one long for another visit. Each aspect, both positive and negative, is portrayed in this grandiose, iconic way.

Unfortunately, N.O. rarely, if ever, is granted the same courtesy. This show is no different. It isn't nearly as bad as anticipated, but still is a far cry from proper representation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 10:14 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Never. Mostly because the NYC ones are always quite pleasant. The only annoyance I ever felt with TV on NYC was when Letterman would make jokes about someone being mugged every 10 seconds, and showing the same guy getting mugged every 10 seconds. Just didn't like it because it promoted the fear of NYC among people who'd never been there.

But, I'd say most movies with NYC in it, are quite favorable towards NYC.
That is true. What about the crime movies in LA? They do get the same amount of positive movies though.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:10 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,424,560 times
Scott Bakula killed 'Enterprise'.

He won't last long on 'NCIS'.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:34 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,071 times
For shows like this, you need consultants from different sections of N.O. to give an even handed portrayal of the city. Some many writers and Hollywood types are from NYC, L.A. or Chicago, so any shows outside of those areas will lack the needed cultural continuity.

I was watching Law & Order SVU earlier this week. Several officers and a police chief from Atlanta were visiting NYC. What stood out to me was how the NYC characters all have fairly generic "Midwestern" accents but the southern cops all sounded like extras in Gone With the Wind. Think about all the NYC based shows (Friends for example) and how most of the main characters in those shows speak with no discernible accent. New York natives most definitely have a nasally accent, but it's rarely captured on T.V.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:46 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
I wouldn't say it's rarely captured on TV. That's where we all learned about the stereotypical Brooklyn or LI accent.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:17 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,083,893 times
“NCIS: New Orleans” Is the Season’s #1 New Series and Broadcast Television’s #2 Drama

Madam Secretary Renewed for Second Season: NCIS New Orleans and Scorpion Also Renewed - Madam Secretary - CBS.com

...well I'll be. Renewed as CBS's #1 new show?? I guess I've been missing out.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:39 PM

643 posts, read 977,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
“NCIS: New Orleans” Is the Season’s #1 New Series and Broadcast Television’s #2 Drama

Madam Secretary Renewed for Second Season: NCIS New Orleans and Scorpion Also Renewed - Madam Secretary - CBS.com

...well I'll be. Renewed as CBS's #1 new show?? I guess I've been missing out.
Waiting on tonites episode...they nvr disappoint

Old 04-15-2015, 07:58 AM

144 posts, read 205,031 times
I don't see people are disappointed in Bakula or the show? Do we expect the actors to be from New Orleans? There are lots of transplants in New Orleans anyways. There is not one character who doesn't bring something to the show and how many shows can say that? It's the only show I have watched on Network TV in years.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:34 PM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
I assume Pride can't be dead. Otherwise the series would be over, no?!

Old 05-27-2018, 11:52 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Do shows filmed in New York annoy the natives the same?
How about LA?
Jersey Shore and the Real OC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans