Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 11:51 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moiraesfate View Post
Yeah, whatever you've decided is the truth. You might like to go look at the history of the city to get it.

I get tired of explaining everything to everyone all the time because they can't think.
You aren't even from New Orleans, or Louisiana, or this country for pete's sake. Don't tell me about MY state as if you are a native.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 08:53 PM

643 posts, read 978,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moiraesfate View Post
Yeah, whatever you've decided is the truth. You might like to go look at the history of the city to get it.

I get tired of explaining everything to everyone all the time because they can't think.
What in my post have I said that isn't true? You can look that up yourself. Born and bred in new orleans , was taught about my city in high school....I'm not pulling this out my a$$...and Like Annie said, you aren't even from here.

Last edited by sconley9922; 10-12-2014 at 09:02 PM..

Old 10-13-2014, 01:12 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,947,089 times
Moira, I always to to be nice to you, but Algiers is, in every sense, part of New Orleans proper. It's a lot easier to get to the Quarter from Algiers Point than a lot of other places in the city, and they vote for the same mayor, pay Orleans Parish taxes, etc. I grew up in suburban Algiers, and while I get what you're saying, there's no need to be so defensive.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:11 AM

56 posts, read 84,452 times
Thanks, everyone, for your insight.

Chip N Sawbones: We are handy, but not to a "This Old House" extent. So much for our fantasies about living in a "manor" (as this is described in the listing). Thanks for your expert opinion.

Moiraesfate: You're right about the price. The house was originally listed at $499K. Although I can't find that old listing anywhere now.

catavenger: As a fellow Phoenician, I can say that there are a lot of affordable houses in Phoenix, but most of them are not in good areas. I'm not talking about Scottsdale, Chandler, or other outlying areas, but Phoenix proper (excluding Phoenix's historic districts). I live in the Woodlea-Melrose Historic District near 7th Avenue and Indian School. I wish I could afford to live in the Roosevelt or Willo Historic Districts, but they are way too expensive. I can only afford my neighborhood because I bought my house in 1994 when it was still relatively cheap. I've lived in the Phoenix metro area for more than 40 years and I've seen it deteriorate into a third-world-looking country. I know that New Orleans has crime and poverty too, but at least it has music, art, history, etc. to make up for it.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:20 AM

151 posts, read 290,704 times
Yeah, its a pity too. You can see how pretty that house could be if it were updated. I just can't imagine the money and work it would take.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:32 PM

41 posts, read 58,980 times
Eventually the price will fall low enough that it'll be cost-effective to hire a contractor to do a rebuild. It might take a long time though, since the general rule to make money remodeling houses is to find the worst house in the best possible neighborhood and fix it up, and this one's in a bad location. Even so, the size and the historical nature of this house means that at some point it will be fixed up and sold for a nice profit. Without a contractor, I'd say it would be a great deal at around $150,000 for the right buyer. If someone who knows how to do the work was to come along with enough money to pay for the materials and to live on for a year while they were working on the house, they could turn it around for a nice profit. With $60,000 in materials to put in a modern electrical system, kitchen and bathrooms and restore everything else, that antique house on that much land would be worth $300,000 or more, maybe a lot more - not a bad profit margin for eighteen months of work, no high school or college degree necessary!

The problem is that most of the people who know how to do the carpentry, plumbing and electrical work this house requires don't have that much money to spare, and the people with that much money don't have the construction skills. For the few that have both, houses like this one are a great opportunity. I was able to turn $80,000 worth of foreclosed house in terrible condition plus $12,000 in materials plus nine months of work into a $180,000 house, but this particular house is still a little out of my league.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:59 PM

Sounds like you're considering it?

Old 10-17-2014, 07:33 AM

Not with that house. I'm currently renovating a house in the Upper 9th Ward that's much smaller, cheaper and is in better condition. Between that and medical school, I'm too busy for another big project.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:55 AM

Medical school? Puts a new slant on "Chip N Sawbones." Not that there was ever an old slant...

Old 10-17-2014, 03:38 PM

Yeah, I came down here to go to Tulane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans