Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 02:58 PM

136 posts, read 198,749 times

Advertisements

I noticed in one of your other posts that you liked NC for its proximity to the ocean. Let me expand on that in terms of New Orleans.

Lake Pontchartain is actually an estuary which connects to the Gulf through two passes: Chef Pass and The Rigolets. You actually need a salt and fresh water license to fish the lake.

Years ago, the lake was dredged for shells and this significantly damaged the ecosystem. In the 80s, the Lake Pontchartrain Basin Foundation was formed, which rallied to stop the dredging. The lake has recovered significantly because of their efforts. However, depending on the river situation, sometimes the spillways are opened, which diverts fresh mississppi river water into the lake, which I personally hate because it drives the salt water fish out of the lake for months.

(There have actually been manatee spottings in the lake).

So while the nicest beaches are 4 hours away (Destin), New Orleans does have water birds and the smell of salt water in the air. It has a tropical feel, though many natives are insulted by the addition of palm trees, as they are not native to the area. (You haven't seen anything until you have seen city rats run up and down the palm trees nesting in the tops. Lol.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 03:15 PM

860 posts, read 1,184,364 times
I haven't seen the rats climbing the trees, but my daughter loves the parrots that nest in the palm trees.

Old 12-13-2014, 03:19 PM

660 posts, read 1,000,013 times
Default Salty Air!

I do enjoy the smell of salt in the air . . . and I've seen rats in palm trees in Florida! LOL!

A 4 hour drive wouldn't be bad. Currently I'm at 7-8 hours without stops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarvortex1415 View Post
I noticed in one of your other posts that you liked NC for its proximity to the ocean. Let me expand on that in terms of New Orleans.

Lake Pontchartain is actually an estuary which connects to the Gulf through two passes: Chef Pass and The Rigolets. You actually need a salt and fresh water license to fish the lake.

Years ago, the lake was dredged for shells and this significantly damaged the ecosystem. In the 80s, the Lake Pontchartrain Basin Foundation was formed, which rallied to stop the dredging. The lake has recovered significantly because of their efforts. However, depending on the river situation, sometimes the spillways are opened, which diverts fresh mississppi river water into the lake, which I personally hate because it drives the salt water fish out of the lake for months.

(There have actually been manatee spottings in the lake).

So while the nicest beaches are 4 hours away (Destin), New Orleans does have water birds and the smell of salt water in the air. It has a tropical feel, though many natives are insulted by the addition of palm trees, as they are not native to the area. (You haven't seen anything until you have seen city rats run up and down the palm trees nesting in the tops. Lol.)

Old 12-13-2014, 03:21 PM

When I first saw the parrots, I called animal rescue New Orleans to report them. Haha. They told me they are wild parrots. I saw them in the palm trees on veterans blvd by bonnabel.

The rats in the palm trees were just crazy. Saw them on tchoupitoulas street near the river at night after dinner while waiting for a cab.

OP, when I say "lakefront" , I mean lakeshore Dr.: Lakefront Drive- New Orleans - Lake Terrace - New Orleans, LA | Yelp

When you look at rent, also look at Lake Vista and Lakeview areas.

Old 12-13-2014, 03:23 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,173,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor46 View Post
Great response adventuregurl - thanks!

My main issue with Tucson (and I have never been there, but have been to Phoenix several times, as well as other parts of Arizona) seems to be that it is NOT very walkable or has reliable mass transit, and those are things important to me. What's your take on this?
There are parts of Tucson that are more walkable but in general much of Tucson and AZ is NOT walkable. The heat plays a factor too, there will be many times that you wouldn't want to walk in AZ and I can only imagine that the same will be true in New Orleans, I know that if it's hot and humid I'd rather not walk but everyone is different. I like dry air myself.

I think what I love about AZ in general is that the southwest vibe speaks to my soul. I also love how thin and light the air feels to me ~ the polar opposite of New Orleans, the beauty of the monsoon season with lightening show, the wide open spaces and the desert beauty.

That being said I am always pulled to this New Orleans forum, and keep thinking I should check New Orleans out. I haven't been yet but do feel a pull. I know I would love the architecture, the friendly people (AZ has them too), and all the culture of a very different kind that what we get in AZ. I am a bit of a wimp when it comes to crime so that scares me a bit .

Have you been to New Orleans before?

Old 12-13-2014, 03:27 PM

860 posts, read 1,184,364 times
There is a power station (I think it's a power station) behind the chevron at willow and Carrollton, and there are hundreds of parrots there.

Old 12-13-2014, 03:31 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,144,030 times
I thought the Sabal Palmetto is native to New Orleans? And when I lived there, I never saw rats or parrots in the palms. I wish I saw the parrots, but the rats--eww.

Anyways, I'll give you my thoughts. NOLA is a great city. I actually loved the weather, though winter was cooler than I thought it would be. However, since you're from Buffalo, you'll probably think it's balmy, lol. Anyways, as far as the weather goes, a lot of nice tropical monsoons in the summer, warm nights, the cicadas "chirping" is magical, and of course, the spring bloom. Weather is perfect in spring and fall, for the most part--moderate humidity, warm days, pleasant and mild nights. And an even mix of rain and sunshine.

I went to Loyola University New Orleans last year. The nightlife in NOLA is fantastic, as is the food! The people are really warm and friendly, for the most part. It's a very charming and historic city with a lot to do, and easy to get around on foot! As for the public transit, I found that the streetcar sufficed. It can be late sometimes because the drivers are "on Nawlins time", but it's cheap and efficient. And I noticed that everyone seemed to take the streetcar--no matter what race, socioeconomic status, where they were from...and it was cool to take the oldest streetcar system in the world just to get downtown. Also, it's great if you're drunk and need to get back home (since obviously drunk driving is a big no-no).

There are sketchy and poor areas for sure, but I think people exaggerate this. That said, the Garden District/Uptown area is probably the best in the city.

As far as AZ goes, it's beautiful. But I think it's too dry and the summers there are even hotter than NOLA. In addition, it's very sprawling and you need a car to get around there.

Old 12-13-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norb123 View Post
There is a power station (I think it's a power station) behind the chevron at willow and Carrollton, and there are hundreds of parrots there.
I'm making a note of this, thanks.

I'm not sure about which palm trees possibly are native to New Orleans; we had a heated family discussion once about it, lol.

Old 12-13-2014, 03:44 PM

Something else I find a unique experience to New Orleans: on weekday mornings (early mornings), you can drive to the Fair Grounds race track and sit on the grandstands and watch the horses work out. You can grab a coffee and some donughts on the way and have breakfast, I did that one morning and it was a super cool experience. The Fair Grounds is a very historic New Orleans presence.

(The current structure is not the original-- one clubhouse burned down and then it w very damaged during Katrina. I believe it is currently for sale by Churchill Downs)

I should say the HISTORY of the fair grounds is important to New Orleans: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_Grounds_Race_Course

Old 12-13-2014, 04:12 PM

660 posts, read 1,000,013 times
Default Compromise

I lived in Seattle for 13 years and didn't own a car for 9 of them; I walked everywhere (even in the pouring rain) or took mass transit. I loved it. Even in Buffalo I live in a very walkable part of the city and often leave my car at home; besides walking to coffee-shops and restaurants and to get groceries, I like taking long walks and looking at architecture, taking pictures etc. That said, I suppose I could get used to driving more, or driving to areas to take my long "exploratory" walks. I enjoy the desert too; been to AZ and NV and SOCAL a lot, and I agree that it's beautiful and the air is lighter. Oh, and we have "thunder snow" here in WNY! Haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
There are parts of Tucson that are more walkable but in general much of Tucson and AZ is NOT walkable. The heat plays a factor too, there will be many times that you wouldn't want to walk in AZ and I can only imagine that the same will be true in New Orleans, I know that if it's hot and humid I'd rather not walk but everyone is different. I like dry air myself.

I think what I love about AZ in general is that the southwest vibe speaks to my soul. I also love how thin and light the air feels to me ~ the polar opposite of New Orleans, the beauty of the monsoon season with lightening show, the wide open spaces and the desert beauty.

That being said I am always pulled to this New Orleans forum, and keep thinking I should check New Orleans out. I haven't been yet but do feel a pull. I know I would love the architecture, the friendly people (AZ has them too), and all the culture of a very different kind that what we get in AZ. I am a bit of a wimp when it comes to crime so that scares me a bit .

Have you been to New Orleans before?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans